talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

Hi guys, I think I might have Covid. It's been a very busy past couple of months for me, I am in the process of moving and applying for a new job. I have perhaps a little foolishly delayed getting the vaccine. I actually intended to get the vaccine 4 days ago, at a walk in vaccine centre quite near to me, but as my luck would have it, they stopped giving vaccines at this centre the day I decided to go there. A couple of days ago I came home very hot, as those living in England will know that we are currently going through a heatwave. Anyway, my body was very hot all over, but I put that down to having been out in the sun and the fact that my bedroom gets very hot as well. There was this little kid who sneezed in my direction when I was out two days ago, the fact that I may have Covid did cross my mind. But today is the first day where I have a had a cough. I cough little coughs here and there. I still have my sense of taste. My appetite has really decreased, but again, I am putting a lot of that down to the heat. 

Right now, I am not feeling terrible, but there is a little ache in my throat and I have these little coughs here and there. I don't have that much of a headache anymore, unlike when I had a headache two days ago. 

So I am not sure what to do. I want to get the vaccine tomorrow, but if I am Covid positive, will they even give me the vaccine?

It would be cool if some of you guys could put your 2 pence in and share what vaccine you took and what was your experience? I know that deaths from taking some of the vaccines are very rare, but it is still a little bit of a frightening thought.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Michael said:

Hi guys, I think I might have Covid. It's been a very busy past couple of months for me, I am in the process of moving and applying for a new job. I have perhaps a little foolishly delayed getting the vaccine. I actually intended to get the vaccine 4 days ago, at a walk in vaccine centre quite near to me, but as my luck would have it, they stopped giving vaccines at this centre the day I decided to go there. A couple of days ago I came home very hot, as those living in England will know that we are currently going through a heatwave. Anyway, my body was very hot all over, but I put that down to having been out in the sun and the fact that my bedroom gets very hot as well. There was this little kid who sneezed in my direction when I was out two days ago, the fact that I may have Covid did cross my mind. But today is the first day where I have a had a cough. I cough little coughs here and there. I still have my sense of taste. My appetite has really decreased, but again, I am putting a lot of that down to the heat. 

Right now, I am not feeling terrible, but there is a little ache in my throat and I have these little coughs here and there. I don't have that much of a headache anymore, unlike when I had a headache two days ago. 

So I am not sure what to do. I want to get the vaccine tomorrow, but if I am Covid positive, will they even give me the vaccine?

It would be cool if some of you guys could put your 2 pence in and share what vaccine you took and what was your experience? I know that deaths from taking some of the vaccines are very rare, but it is still a little bit of a frightening thought.

Firstly - take a test! It's best to be sure. If you think you have symptoms it's best to stay inside until you know you've not got it (tested negative).

Secondly - you won't be allowed to attend a vaccination centre if you have symptoms and/or test positive. 

Thirdly - IMO it's quite clear that the vaccine is having a big say in preventing severe illness or worse, death. So for me, the risk of not taking the vaccine outweights the risk of actually getting the virus that the vaccine is purely designed to protect from. 

Fourthly - could it just be a bit of dehydration because of the major heat and temperatures we're experiencing here?

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Michael said:

Frankly, you shouldn't get ANY vaccine if you're feeling unwell. Can you possibly buy and do a rapid test tomorrow before you intend to go to the centre? And just for your peace of mind, the chance of getting covid if something sneezes in your general direction when you're out isn't very high:) so unless you spent a significant amount of time in crowded places without a mask in the last few days, I wouldn't worry too much...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Firstly - take a test! It's best to be sure. If you think you have symptoms it's best to stay inside until you know you've not got it (tested negative).

Secondly - you won't be allowed to attend a vaccination centre if you have symptoms and/or test positive. 

Thirdly - IMO it's quite clear that the vaccine is having a big say in preventing severe illness or worse, death. So for me, the risk of not taking the vaccine outweights the risk of actually getting the virus that the vaccine is purely designed to protect from. 

Fourthly - could it just be a bit of dehydration because of the major heat and temperatures we're experiencing here?

Yeah, your fourth point could very well be true. I have been out in the sun for quite a prolonged period of time in the last 3 to 4 days, as I have had a lot of important things to do. I have been drinking a lot, but I perhaps didn't drink enough yesterday. I had a serious headache a couple of days ago(which has gone now really) and with my little coughs today, that's what is leading me  to think that I may have Covid. But I probably don't. My sense of taste and smell are fine, even though I don't feel too hungry at all. Yeah, I think I should take the test tomorrow and if I test negative, then I think I will also take the vaccine tomorrow.

• Administrator

The sense of taste/smell thing isn't a guarantee you have/don't have COVID. As in, you don't have to lose it to be carrying the virus. 

Best just to take a test to be sure in any case.

3 hours ago, Michael said:

I'm gonna echo the shouts on here that say you should take the test to see whether or not you've had it. If you're not feeling well (even if it's not covid), you shouldn't be getting a vaccine until you're feeling better though. Wait until you're feeling better for sure. But if I were in your shoes, I'd get a test done... like I did (almost a year ago) when I wasn't feeling well. It ended up not being COVID and was something else

But you should still get the vaccine when you're feeling better. Don't think that if you test positive you've now got antibody protection from the virus forever - but rather, think about the fact that a few studies have shown that people who had the virus at some point and then got the vaccine seem to produce an absolute shitload of antibodies when exposed to the virus again, compared to unvaccinated people (obviously) but even vaccinated people who never caught the virus. Could be something of a silver lining if you do test positive!

I, of course, hope you test negative for it. And also, I hope you feel better from whatever is making you feel ill ASAP - covid or not.

As for your last question: I had the Moderna vaccine. First jab, no real side effects tbh. Bit of a sore arm the next day but that's all. Second jab, I felt fine up until I woke up the next day. I had an awful headache that lasted the whole day and my body felt sore and achey like when you've got a bad flu. But the day after that, I woke up and I felt completely fine.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Michael said:

I had the Pfizer/Biontech jab. Only the first one though. Getting the 2nd on 3rd August. Had nothing besides a bit of a sore arm for a day when I lifted it up. 

My parents had both jabs already and had no real side effects besides a bit of soreness where the needle went in for a day. 

Hope you feel better soon mate. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Michael said:

I had my first dose of Pfizer a few weeks back, no after affects whatsoever besides a slightly sore arm. 

• Upvote 1

Seeing a lot of people whose tail's have dropped off since the vaccine. Out and about in this heat its really noticeable that some people still have the sort of base of the tail bone but their tail isn't there. Wonder if that's down to Pfizer or AZ or when you get one of each. I'd recommend anyone getting the vaccinated pays close attention to their balance in the days after. If you're a bit wobbly your tail might have dropped off or be on the way out. God knows how we are all going climb trees to avoid the flood waters after this.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• Subscriber

We had 230 new cases on the island yesterday, almost double the previous record and taking us to 1,350 active cases. The population is 90,000. Scale our case rate up to what that would translate to in the UK, it would be about 160,000 cases in one day and 900,000 active cases. What's even more hilarious is that I know of loads of people who definitely have it and can't get tested so goodness knows what the true number of cases is.. Thankfully we only have a handful of people in the one hospital we have but we'll find out in the next week or two whether the vaccine wall holds as most of those positive tests have come in the last 7-10 days.

It's running wild over here, the contact tracing team are so overwhelmed that in many cases they're telling people who test positive to tell their own close contacts to look out for symptoms and get a pack of 7 lateral flow tests to carry out home testing. There is no longer a requirement for close contacts to isolate, instead they can home test for those 7 days. The border controls have been completely scrapped, anyone who has had both jabs can return without any test or isolation. There is no guidance on mask wearing or ventilation and a small number of people are taking it upon themselves to wear them but we're starting to see businesses close down because all of their staff have Covid. Probably about 2-3% of the population currently have it.

A wave like this probably would have killed hundreds of people pre-vaccine, and it won't this time, which is obviously great, but I still have questions about how wise it is to let a virus that causes serious illness and long term complications for some to tear through the population unchecked, and also having mass isolation going on. We have the same problem as the UK where people think the vaccine is some sort of off switch for the pandemic, in fact I think it's even worse over here. Our government have been very careful throughout but they seem to look at what England are doing now and use it as an excuse to be lazy and not bother retaining any sense of caution or mitigation.

People keep denying the herd immunity thing. The fact is, if the vaccine doesn't stop you getting infected then the only way this ends is by letting everyone catch it with the defence of the vaccine on their side. It has a lot of risks but the reinfection rate is low and it seems to be the case that having had Covid is the only way to truly prevent getting it in future. I don't know if the approach of some countries of trying to come out of lockdowns with a high vaccination rate AND a low case rate is a viable approach or whether it just prolongs the inevitable and they end up having a last big wave as well, but time will tell.

• Upvote 1

One thing Australia can offer is insight of how quickly the virus spreads from a single case. There's so little COVID out there that we trace the fuck out of it, and

Below is a map of the current Melbourne outbreak. We'd had zero cases for a couple weeks, then had a pair of covid positive removalists come to pack up an apartment in Melbourne.

They had the delta strain, and have COVID to 4 people in other apartments in the complex on the same floor. One of those guys went to the footy and gave it to 6 people in the bay of the stadium he was sitting in, 1 of those 6 went to the rugby the day after and it took off from there.

We found the removalists cases on day 1 ( 3 days after they'd done the job), 10 new cases on day 2 and announced a lockdown with another 12 cases on day 3. That was all that was known about at the time we locked down, and yet in every case in yellow on the chart below was already positive by that point, just had not been found and contained.

Today was the 7th day we've been locked down and announced 26 new cases, but 24 of them had been in quarantine for 100% of their infectious periods, so no risk to have spread it further... Current plan is to reopen in 4 days time provided all detected cases were in quarantine for their entire infectious periods.

That's 3 lockdowns this year for Melbourne, which have been 5 days, 14 days and (fingers crossed) 11 respectively.

20210721_223411.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, The Premier Steve's said:

Seeing a lot of people whose tail's have dropped off since the vaccine. Out and about in this heat its really noticeable that some people still have the sort of base of the tail bone but their tail isn't there. Wonder if that's down to Pfizer or AZ or when you get one of each. I'd recommend anyone getting the vaccinated pays close attention to their balance in the days after. If you're a bit wobbly your tail might have dropped off or be on the way out. God knows how we are all going climb trees to avoid the flood waters after this.

I only caught the tail-end of this post and lost interest.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Michael said:

I am not sure how worried I should be. It seems like I can only take short breaths. 

Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon... 😔

That said, worrying won't help at all, it just makes things worse. Did you talk to your doctor yet? He/she might recommend something to alleviate the symptoms. Definitely call them if you feel your condition is getting worse though!

I believe there were quite a few posters on here who also had covid and suffered some breathing issues, too. @...Dan ? @The Premier Steve's ? @Danny ?

8 hours ago, nudge said:

Sorry to hear that, hope you feel better soon... 😔

That said, worrying won't help at all, it just makes things worse. Did you talk to your doctor yet? He/she might recommend something to alleviate the symptoms. Definitely call them if you feel your condition is getting worse though!

I believe there were quite a few posters on here who also had covid and suffered some breathing issues, too. @...Dan ? @The Premier Steve's ? @Danny ?

@Michael I have asthma so combine that with Covid and my breathing was terrible, nearly went into A&E at one point. Best thing to do is look into your doctor giving you some steroids for your lungs, but speak to your GP anyway as they might be able to recommend something else for you

I use an inhaler for hay-fever induced asthma and got that out the cupboard to use for suspected covid last March. Thought it helped a lot back then and have since seen a study showing it can be effective for covid. Don't know if doctors will give them out as they could cause shortage but like Danny said doctor might be able to help there.

51 minutes ago, The Premier Steve's said:

I use an inhaler for hay-fever induced asthma and got that out the cupboard to use for suspected covid last March. Thought it helped a lot back then and have since seen a study showing it can be effective for covid. Don't know if doctors will give them out as they could cause shortage but like Danny said doctor might be able to help there.

Depending on how bad it is they can give out steroid tablets, that's what I took. Mind I went through one inhaler in about 2 days when I had covid