talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

What has the UK actually done to be an overreaction though? Return to face masks in crowded spaces and slightly more stringent testing measures to people entering the country? It's hardly tyrannical is it? We saw the devastation wrought by the Alpha and Delta variants before, taking some precaution against another mutation which we know nothing about other than there's a high risk of it dodging the vaccine a bit better is sensible.

I'm not sure about the countries going for lockdowns and full border closures. Seems like an overreaction but none of us know yet.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

We saw the devastation wrought by the Alpha and Delta variants

The press & gouvernement have done a good job in scaring the people but can I just remind you that more people die weekly of 8 more serious illnesses that we hear little about, number 7 is interesting, the common flu even ranks higher 

https://www.nationalworld.com/health/coronavirus/top-10-causes-of-death-uk-what-are-the-biggest-killers-in-england-as-covid-re-enters-the-list-3357579?page=2&_gl=1*1vs7eh*_ga*YW1wLXlUZ3I5TkRKMTdZMmRkc2xOY2s5YUNZUkt3ZDBpNTBoRlAtYU9jR0NqV1k0Sjg1cFUtUXUtNlZMRVdtQncwSW0.

1. Dementia and Alzheimer disease

2. Ischaemic heart diseases

3. Malignant neoplasm of trachea bronchus and lung

4. Cerebrovascular diseases

5. Chronic lower respiratory diseases

6. Malignant neoplasm of colon sigmoid rectum and anus

7. Influenza and Pneumonia

8. Symptoms signs and ill-defined conditions

This was the eighth leading cause of death in England in July 2021

9. Covid-19

• Facepalm 1

• Subscriber

There's a guy called John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter who works for the Financial Times and does a lot of reliable and informative graph work. He posted an initial analysis of the outbreak in South Africa yesterday. The headlines are that compared to their previous waves, cases are rising faster this time, but hospitalisations are increasing at about the same rate, suggesting that the increased infectiousness of this strain is being somewhat 'cancelled out' by a slightly lower proportion of cases resulting in serious illness, the net result being that this strain puts similar pressures on the health system as previous ones, so not bad news or good.

Pretty big caveats are that it's still very early days, and that the prevalence of cases in South Africa at the moment are in younger age groups compared to previous waves. Also the data at this stage is less reliable than most of what he publishes as the data received from hospitals in South Africa is very variable on a day-to-day basis.

People who are interested should go and give him a follow on Twitter. It's all pure maths and science presented in easily digestible graphs. Not the sort of guy who projects his own opinions or desire to be acknowledged onto the information he shares.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, the Omicron mutations was discovered about a week ago. Common sense would indicate it's a bit early to decide how mild it is.

I'm guessing WHO are able to do significant research even on (current) limited data.

16 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

The press & gouvernement have done a good job in scaring the people but can I just remind you that more people die weekly of 8 more serious illnesses that we hear little about, number 7 is interesting, the common flu even ranks higher 

https://www.nationalworld.com/health/coronavirus/top-10-causes-of-death-uk-what-are-the-biggest-killers-in-england-as-covid-re-enters-the-list-3357579?page=2&_gl=1*1vs7eh*_ga*YW1wLXlUZ3I5TkRKMTdZMmRkc2xOY2s5YUNZUkt3ZDBpNTBoRlAtYU9jR0NqV1k0Sjg1cFUtUXUtNlZMRVdtQncwSW0.

1. Dementia and Alzheimer disease

2. Ischaemic heart diseases

3. Malignant neoplasm of trachea bronchus and lung

4. Cerebrovascular diseases

5. Chronic lower respiratory diseases

6. Malignant neoplasm of colon sigmoid rectum and anus

7. Influenza and Pneumonia

8. Symptoms signs and ill-defined conditions

This was the eighth leading cause of death in England in July 2021

9. Covid-19

Car accidents on there so we maybe we shouldn't use seatbelts anymore :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Car accidents on there so we maybe we shouldn't use seatbelts anymore :ph34r:

Car deaths are few and far between like covid 😋  last year in the UK only 1460 deaths.  ... getting covid and recovering naturally has been proven to be 27 times better than the vaccines in a large case study   ..has anyone even got covid again after recovering naturally? cant find anything even on the CDC website :35_thinking:  ..for me, only the old and sick need the vaccines, pneumonia is 10 times more likely to kill these people than covid and that's next up the list 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/flu-pneumonia-deaths-10-times-higher-covid-ons-b942170.html

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Car deaths are few and far between like covid 😋  last year in the UK only 1460 deaths.  ... getting covid and recovering naturally has been proven to be 27 times better than the vaccines in a large case study   ..has anyone even got covid again after recovering naturally? cant find anything even on the CDC website :35_thinking:  ..for me, only the old and sick need the vaccines, pneumonia is 10 times more likely to kill these people than covid and that's next up the list 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/flu-pneumonia-deaths-10-times-higher-covid-ons-b942170.html

My wife's mum got COVID early on (pre-vaccine) and got it again the week before she was going to get her first jab. She's fairly healthy, but she's shown some long term effects of having the virus twice - shortness of breath for months.

COVID can cause pneumonia also. It attacks your lungs, your heart, and your brain - so for a lot of people it can be quite bad. I think aside from the vaccine making it more likely for people to catch it to not show the more serious symptoms of COVID... it's also important for significantly reducing the spread of COVID.

I think it's important to realise this isn't a flu or anything that we've had around for years and years. COVID's a relatively new coronavirus and so there's no real natural immunity.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

You do have to ask whether it is socially responsible to allow some of the turd posts in here to be public or if this section should be behind closed doors.

Thought the same a couple of weeks back. It's becoming a part time job for some of us challenging this nonsense which has become totally repetitive. The usual solution would be to ignore it until it fizzles out but it's hard to just leave some of the dangerous claims hanging out there unchallenged.

• Wow 1

9 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

Misinformation wum posting articles about cause of death in July and one week in June.

You do have to ask whether it is socially responsible to allow some of the turd posts in here to be public or if this section should be behind closed doors.

The death rate from pneumonia is still 10 times higher to this day, sorry if this doesn't fit your agenda :what:

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

My wife's mum got COVID early on (pre-vaccine) and got it again the week before she was going to get her first jab. She's fairly healthy, but she's shown some long term effects of having the virus twice - shortness of breath for months.

COVID can cause pneumonia also. It attacks your lungs, your heart, and your brain - so for a lot of people it can be quite bad. I think aside from the vaccine making it more likely for people to catch it to not show the more serious symptoms of COVID... it's also important for significantly reducing the spread of COVID.

I think it's important to realise this isn't a flu or anything that we've had around for years and years. COVID's a relatively new coronavirus and so there's no real natural immunity.

I guess it's something we will all adapt to in time, it's not going away is it? ..so far me and my kids have only had it the once, but you never know how long immunity will last

GPs in England may stop monitoring vulnerable patients | Coronavirus | The Guardian

We have lost our absolute minds over this virus. What are we doing?!! If anyone can't be arsed reading the article, vulnerable people in the UK are now at the back of our minds because....under 40's need a booster....It's barely comprehendable.

The 'transmission' argument simply does not hold up because it's going wild across the globe. Jabs should be for the vulnerable only, nobody under 40 should even have one jab. Perhaps the rich, fat West might realise that our hoarding is only exacerbating the issue? 

Edited by The Artful Dodger
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

GPs in England may stop monitoring vulnerable patients | Coronavirus | The Guardian

We have lost our absolute minds over this virus. What are we doing?!! If anyone can't be arsed reading the article, vulnerable people in the UK are now at the back of our minds because....under 40's need a booster....It's barely comprehendable.

The 'transmission' argument simply does not hold up because it's going wild across the globe. Jabs should be for the vulnerable only, nobody under 40 should even have one jab. Perhaps the rich, fat West might realise that our hoarding is only exacerbating the issue? 

The fact that we're rolling out 3rd booster jabs and starting to speculate on when we'll get the updated 4th(?) jab to combat the new variant while third world nations are sitting on a 1% vaccination rate if they're lucky certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth and should be a source of real embarrassment for the Western blob for sure.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

The death rate from pneumonia is still 10 times higher to this day, sorry if this doesn't fit your agenda :what:

No agenda. I find you bend things to the point of them being close to if not complete lies.

ONS, most recent month of data September, leading cause of death Alzheimers, then heart disease, then third is covid, pneumonia is 9th. Taking a yearly average with the same data pneumonia again does not surpass covid. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/september2021

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Honey Honey said:

No agenda. I find you bend things to the point of them being close to if not complete lies.

ONS, most recent month of data September, leading cause of death Alzheimers, then heart disease, then third is covid, pneumonia is 9th. Taking a yearly average with the same data pneumonia again does not surpass covid. 

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/september2021

Well, my intention is not to mislead but to get to the bottom of whats going on. we have conflicting information, can you really trust mainstream? and same can be said from my sources 🤔 ..if I follow the wrong information and its proved false I'll happily hold my hand up, I put it up for people to shoot down, its my nature to question everything, I will take things apart just to see how they work 😂 ..this is like an advanced game of mafia wars :ph34r:lol

• Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

100% the old and sick should be front of the que, think that's something we all can agree on

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

30 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The fact that we're rolling out 3rd booster jabs and starting to speculate on when we'll get the updated 4th(?) jab to combat the new variant while third world nations are sitting on a 1% vaccination rate if they're lucky certainly leaves a bad taste in the mouth and should be a source of real embarrassment for the Western blob for sure.

Yeah, I don't really understand why western leaders can't seem to fathom that a global pandemic means the virus needs to be contained all over the world... and not just in the western world. There's people literally dying to get vaccines in some parts of the world - but we're talking about boosters and future boosters being rolled out for us while they struggle to even get the first jabs rolled out.

It's one of those things that just highlights western selfishness.

From a personal perspective, it's particularly annoying. I've lost family members in Iran due to COVID early on when the pandemic first broke out and people there were struggling to get basic PPE like masks because of sanctions. Now because of sanctions & also some good old fashioned IRI government incompetence, there's a huge demand for vaccines but barely any supply for them. And now I've just learned a few minutes ago that pretty much most of my family there has received positive test results as of yesterday.

• Sad 1

If we're talking about countries with a less than 20% vaccination rate that aren't war torn you're talking about almost exclusively African countries. Everywhere elses vulnerable should have been double jabbed by now unless the vaccines were given out to someone else in those countries, which in some corrupt places probably has been.

Some African countries probably only need a 5% vaccination rate to cover their vulnerable population, if that. 

Poor German people, dark times 

"If you have to be persuaded, pressured, reminded , lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized..... if all of this is considered necessary to gain your compliance - you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest." - Ian Watson

• Facepalm 1