talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

52 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I'm in the UK, but I got Moderna for my first two and then a Pfizer booster. I think almost all of the jabs in the UK were Astra-Zenica and Pfizer, and then a relatively small number of Modernas.

Mine was Astra for the first two and Moderna for the booster.

In fairness, I've been fine with all three bar a sore arm and a bit of a headache between them.

1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

I just saw a comment somewhere. Couldn't the fact that there are less hospitalizations be leaked more to the fact that Omicron is generally milder? And not necessarily the vaccines.

It’s been pretty much confirmed that’s the case. Obviously vaccines and general resistance are helping too.

2 hours ago, carefreeluke said:

I just saw a comment somewhere. Couldn't the fact that there are less hospitalizations be leaked more to the fact that Omicron is generally milder? And not necessarily the vaccines.

The Imperial college study suggested 11% milder if unjabbed and 50% milder it jabbed. They're not equal implying jab makes big difference in Omicron mildness. Both British studies come with a lot of limitations, caveats and further questions. One being that it could be statistically milder for the jabbed than delta because it is more likely to breakthrough the vaccine. As in, the jab is more likely to prevent you actually getting covid full stop with delta which biases the data when looking at those jabbed who have been infected delta vs Omicron.

11 hours ago, Tommy said:

My mother and one of my aunts had their first two jabs with Pfizer/Biontech, and then the third jab with Moderna. No side effects at all besides a bit of pain around the injection site for a day. 

I had Pfizer for my two. Tempted to go moderna for the booster next year - if eligible etc. Pfizer knocked me about a little. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

TAD is correct - it's been a constant thing throughout the entire last two years in that they deliberately temper every bit of good news with something shit. I thought the announcement of likely vaccine passports on 'freedom day' was utterly disgraceful.

I think some are pushing for restrictions because they know that omicron is going to essentially give us herd immunity, meaning the gravy train comes to a halt and meaning there's going to be some serious accountability.

2 hours ago, Dan said:

TAD is correct - it's been a constant thing throughout the entire last two years in that they deliberately temper every bit of good news with something shit. I thought the announcement of likely vaccine passports on 'freedom day' was utterly disgraceful.

I think some are pushing for restrictions because they know that omicron is going to essentially give us herd immunity, meaning the gravy train comes to a halt and meaning there's going to be some serious accountability.

I really wish that would be the case. Unfortunately, I just think the cycle of shit will continue.

Hell, our lot in the Welsh Government are the only one that won't have a separate enquiry into how they've handled it, reassuring themselves that the UK one as a whole will showcase Wales (basically, they don't want any accountability of their actions and want to fob it off to the UK Government, as per the norm).

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
18 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

I really wish that would be the case. Unfortunately, I just think the cycle of shit will continue.

Hell, our lot in the Welsh Government are the only one that won't have a separate enquiry into how they've handled it, reassuring themselves that the UK one as a whole will showcase Wales (basically, they don't want any accountability of their actions and want to fob it off to the UK Government, as per the norm).

It's pretty obvious to me at this point that any doubling down on restrictions and whatnot is just to distract us from the reality - that grossly overreacting has caused years of damage. It was a mistake that you can understand how it happened, but I think there's far more politics at play than people want to admit now.

Our government have shown everyone what they really think of the rules and what fear they really hold - and it's absolutely one, they just know that if they told us all to be free they would be essentially admitting their error and would have to be accountable for a lot of the damage caused. Find it disgusting that they do it though even if I can see why it's happening. The national psyche has never been lower and it will take years to properly recover from.

I feel for you lot with Drakeford. He's revolting.

On 25/12/2021 at 04:09, Dan said:

9 hours ago, Dan said:

It's pretty obvious to me at this point that any doubling down on restrictions and whatnot is just to distract us from the reality - that grossly overreacting has caused years of damage. It was a mistake that you can understand how it happened, but I think there's far more politics at play than people want to admit now.

*conspiracy theory klaxon*

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Just saw a post where someone asked if vaccinated people are contagious, because a vaccinated person petted her dog and now it has breathing problems. I shit you not. xD

This story sounds a bit nuts, buy pets can actually get infected with COVID after a contact with an infected human.

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

This story sounds a bit nuts, buy pets can actually get infected with COVID after a contact with an infected human.

I know. But this person was talking about vaccinated people being contagious as in the vaccine being transmitted to the dog and making it sick. I hope I explained it correctly. No hablo Ingles. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I know. But this person was talking about vaccinated people being contagious as in the vaccine being transmitted to the dog and making it sick. I hope I explained it correctly. No hablo Ingles. 

Oh xD

• Subscriber

I don't know how many times these things that get called conspiracy theories have to come true before people stop with that ridiculous phrase. If you still trust this government, the agenda driven scientists or the media at this point you'll trust literally anything.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I don’t trust this government, the media will make slightly bad or worrying news seem catastrophic because it gets them clicks and sales, none of this is dependent on the pandemic, it has always been the case (with any government I can remember at least). The scientists have been right and wrong at different times throughout the pandemic and they along with the government have both been guilty of too much and too little caution based on imperfect information.

At the height of this crisis, we had 2,000 people dying a day in the UK and that was WITH a full lockdown to reduce the traffic hitting the NHS. Short memories much? If you believe the restrictions introduced earlier in the pandemic were an over reaction, then you'll believe anything.

As for now, it's more complex with vaccines and more knowledge available. The data coming out of South Africa was promising but the sample size was pitifully small. It's not 'agenda driven' for the UK scientists to do their own studies as well. It's called due diligence and the fact that they've ratified the initial findings from South Africa enables all of the "we've lost our minds over this" crowd to finally have their "told you so" moment. It doesn't mean everything that came before was an overreaction.

You'll also note that the government in England at least haven't actually imposed meaningful restrictions besides asking you to wear a piece of cloth on your face and carry around a copy of your vaccine certificate on your phone. Neither of these are exactly massive hardships and are measures taken to keep infection rates down so that they don't need to step in and take away the basic human rights of being allowed to go and watch multi millionaires kick a football about in a huge stadium and going and getting wasted with your mates in the pub or in town after.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 4

I'm not sure if procedures are being carried out that well at large events. I went to the races to work today. I was asked for proof of vaccination which I didn't have. I was then asked if I could take a test which I agreed to. However I then mentioned that I had taken one yesterday and had a picture on my phone. That was enough for me to get in. That could have been an old picture. If that is all it takes on large scale it wont make much difference 

4 hours ago, RondónEFC said:

I don’t trust this government, the media will make slightly bad or worrying news seem catastrophic because it gets them clicks and sales, none of this is dependent on the pandemic, it has always been the case (with any government I can remember at least). The scientists have been right and wrong at different times throughout the pandemic and they along with the government have both been guilty of too much and too little caution based on imperfect information.

At the height of this crisis, we had 2,000 people dying a day in the UK and that was WITH a full lockdown to reduce the traffic hitting the NHS. Short memories much? If you believe the restrictions introduced earlier in the pandemic were an over reaction, then you'll believe anything.

As for now, it's more complex with vaccines and more knowledge available. The data coming out of South Africa was promising but the sample size was pitifully small. It's not 'agenda driven' for the UK scientists to do their own studies as well. It's called due diligence and the fact that they've ratified the initial findings from South Africa enables all of the "we've lost our minds over this" crowd to finally have their "told you so" moment. It doesn't mean everything that came before was an overreaction.

You'll also note that the government in England at least haven't actually imposed meaningful restrictions besides asking you to wear a piece of cloth on your face and carry around a copy of your vaccine certificate on your phone. Neither of these are exactly massive hardships and are measures taken to keep infection rates down so that they don't need to step in and take away the basic human rights of being allowed to go and watch multi millionaires kick a football about in a huge stadium and going and getting wasted with your mates in the pub or in town after.

I'm not one of those back in the good old days people. I think things are overall better in now days and people overall have better morals. However if we had a world war in now days. I think we would be fucked. People would have all these conspiracy theories, refuse to where gas masks etc etc. Now a war in  now days might not be like that but you get what I mean. I've been told by older people that vaccines never use to be controversial. People just knew doctors knew better.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't know how many times these things that get called conspiracy theories have to come true before people stop with that ridiculous phrase. If you still trust this government, the agenda driven scientists or the media at this point you'll trust literally anything.

Really?

Conspiracy theories are based on little factual evidence (or sometimes no evidence at all). Hence they remain that. 

What 'conspiracy theories' are you thinking of anyway that have happened so many times it should be true?

I don't trust the government. I don't think scientists are 'agenda-driven' (at least not all of them) and I don't trust the media.

But why should that give me cause to then start believing any random nutcase spouting shite on Youtube or the equivalent of a Karen on Facebook? 

That's pretty bizarre logic. 

We live in a capitalist society, lockdowns do not benefit societies elite as it restricts their abilities to make a profit, they need people buying anything and everything, especially a society governed by Tories who will have plenty of external influences related to turning a profit. Genuinely baffled when people suggest this was all to gain control over us, as if we were not already being controlled as a consumer society. Your phone tracks your face, your voice, your conversations, your location, all of your data, your interests, everything.

The only real benefit lockdown has had other than the government handing out dodgy contracts left right and centre (classic Tory behaviour let’s be honest) is to put through anti-protest laws as a reaction to BLM, Insulate Britain. But even then lockdowns we’re not put in place to push those laws through, they were pushed through to benefit from a needed lockdown.

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Danny said:

We live in a capitalist society, lockdowns do not benefit societies elite as it restricts their abilities to make a profit

One would think so, and yet the profits of the world's richest soared to never seen hights in 2020 during the lockdowns, for many reasons. Truth is, they don't give a fuck about it - lockdown or not lockdown, they are making money either way.

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/pandemic-profits-companies-soar-billions-more-poorest-pay-price

https://www.ft.com/content/747a76dd-f018-4d0d-a9f3-4069bf2f5a93

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18516290.uk-billionaires-see-personal-wealth-grow-25bn-pandemic-lockdown/

• Upvote 2

Conspiracy theories are generally made out of very little evidence. Or they twist the evidence to fit. Sometimes some of them turn out to be true or partly true. Most are noncence though because they are done backwards. They start with the conclusion before the evidence. Generally as soon as a conspiracy theory involves dishonesty on a mass level there are simpler and more likely scenarios using occams razor.

Generally scientists tend to be motivated by science. Not everyone is motivated by money. I think people who are very money motivated find that hard to understand. Thats why I generally trust what a mass group of expert say because its unlikely they are all lying. If they could be then you might as as well not except anything scientists say.

I'm sure the govermentment wouldn't mind having a bit more control over us. But  at the moment they seem to be just doing what they do in extreme situations like a world wide pandemic. I'm not worried about become a dictatorship. I don't think they'd even want the responsibility 😂

21 minutes ago, nudge said:

One would think so, and yet the profits of the world's richest soared to never seen hights in 2020 during the lockdowns, for many reasons. Truth is, they don't give a fuck about it - lockdown or not lockdown, they are making money either way.

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/pandemic-profits-companies-soar-billions-more-poorest-pay-price

https://www.ft.com/content/747a76dd-f018-4d0d-a9f3-4069bf2f5a93

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18516290.uk-billionaires-see-personal-wealth-grow-25bn-pandemic-lockdown/

Yeah companies that thrive online really benefitted, but there are a shit tonne of businesses that thrive acting as support systems for people leaving the house and going to work. They’re the ones who want away with WFH too