talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

9 hours ago, MUFC said:

Will he announce new restrictions on Tuesday or a full lockdown?

@Stan Sorry no bets lol.

Announced no new restrictions in England until the new year. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59804686

Being selfish, I'm a bit relieved due to the rumours of a lockdown (I'm not saying 'circuit breaker' or any of those poor less terms) happening as I'm in England now visiting folks 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Announced no new restrictions in England until the new year. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59804686

Being selfish, I'm a bit relieved due to the rumours of a lockdown (I'm not saying 'circuit breaker' or any of those poor less terms) happening as I'm in England now visiting folks 

Also being selfish I'm delighted considering I'm going on honeymoon on 2nd Jan! 

25 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Day 6 since testing positive for me. Lateral flow this morning was negative. Hopefully another negative tomorrow and I can leave the house! Typical that I'm back working (from home) tomorrow xD

Fingers crossed and glad you've not suffered badly. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm still ambivalent about whether any new restrictions are needed, but I have noted quite surprisingly that my girlfriend's family are becoming a bit more relaxed about covid. 

Most surprisingly, her dad, having been extremely cautious about covid and supportive of maximal restrictions, is coming around to the idea that in the long run we may just need to bite the bullet with Omicron and hope improved treatments and vaccines can keep it manageable. He's also got a mum who's almost 100, and he himself is immunocompromised due to past surgery, so he has more at stake personally than many people. 

I am allowing myself some hope that within 2022 we perhaps reach a stage that covid is mild enough and our treatments are good enough that we can actually move into a kind of permanent normalisation of life with covid. 

44 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I am no longer positive with COVID, according to my most recent test.

I've had no booster, but I'm double jabbed. I'd say for me it was about as mild as it could have possibly been - only really symptomatic for a few hours on one day. Other than that, pretty much felt fine. I've heard that some mild-moderate cases can be quite unpleasant though.

Also double jabbed here. Sore throat that lasted no more than two days. Was due to have my booster a couple of days ago but obviously had to cancel. 

I know a few people who are testing positive now or have symptoms and are waiting PCR results back.

Sister has tested positive for covid. I saw her on Christmas Day. Apparently I just need to take a lateral flow which I did and it came back negative. So no need for me to isolate or get a pcr unless I get symptoms or a positive lateral flow 

On 26/12/2021 at 13:14, nudge said:

One would think so, and yet the profits of the world's richest soared to never seen hights in 2020 during the lockdowns, for many reasons. Truth is, they don't give a fuck about it - lockdown or not lockdown, they are making money either way.

https://www.oxfam.org/en/press-releases/pandemic-profits-companies-soar-billions-more-poorest-pay-price

https://www.ft.com/content/747a76dd-f018-4d0d-a9f3-4069bf2f5a93

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18516290.uk-billionaires-see-personal-wealth-grow-25bn-pandemic-lockdown/

Agree with this, the world’s richest will always make money even in times of disaster. Even in poorer countries with much worse economies that were absolutely rocked by covid, a lot of countries saw the wealth gap between the elites and normal people.

The term “disaster capitalism” exists for a reason and in situations that are really bad it’s usually the very richest that end up least affected.

I do think some countries have sort of used the pandemic to push for extreme measures which makes me wonder if they’re trying to see what they can get away with in the future. But I also think some reasonable restrictions make sense.

And honestly I think maybe rather than a power grab it’s just the result of lots of countries not really knowing what they are doing and just making things up as they go during this pandemic. I definitely think that’s happening in lots of places, so that seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

• Upvote 1

On 27/12/2021 at 09:48, The Artful Dodger said:

Lockdowns ONLY benefit the elites. Small businesses and the poorest are hit massively by lockdowns. 

If you’ve got a decent sized house and a nice job you can do comfortably on your sofa I can imagine lockdowns aren’t so bad but for a lot of people they are terrible. Their repercussions will reverberate for decade. 

People working from home isn’t benefitting from a lockdown, it’s just having the privilege of not falling into poverty during one.

There is a reason that the government literally paid people to go out and fill up restaurants and pubs and it was because a large amount of our economy relies on people going out and spending money and in turn creating a profit for corporations around the country.

Even back during the first lockdown building sites were left open originally because Tory donor’s didn’t want derelict sites and a lack of £££.

Of course the poor struggle the most because of lockdowns and of course there have been some companies that have benefitted massively because of how they’ve managed to innovate their business to be successful online and in a remote setting, but by and large the pressure has always been on the government to open up the country because of the amount of money in person shopping, chain coffee/fast food/restaurants, tourism, theatre, football, cinema + more brings to our economy. Plus the government cannot afford (or appear to afford) to continually having to furlough a large chunk of the workforce to keep the economy on life support. They need people back out working, earning and back to day to day spending habits so that normally resumes. Either we will eventually run out of money/get thrown into too much debt to keep furloughing, or people will realise that when the govt say they need to tighten the belt they’re actually saying the cash is here but we’re not gunna use it for you. Neither is a great look for elected officials.

Anyone had any long term effects from Covid?

It took me near 5 weeks to get the sense of taste back but I've since not been able to stomach any sort of table sauce. Mustards and Horseradish being the worst, they basically taste like I'm eating chemicals and it ruins whatever I'm eating.

Edited by Devil

5 minutes ago, Devil said:

Anyone had any long term effects from Covid?

It took me near 5 weeks to get the sense of taste back but I've seen not been able to stomach any sort of table sauce. Mustards and Horseradish being the worst, they basically taste like I'm eating chemicals and it ruins whatever I'm eating.

I've not had Covid (that I know of) but a work colleague has had a cough for about six months and has had it been diagnosed as long Covid.

Don't know any other symptoms, apart from being fucked for a day after 2/3 of my boosters.

My mate last night said he doesn't believe covid is real. I pointed out to him that surely it was more likely covid was real that all the governments thousands of scientists, and doctors are all lying. But he still thinks that. Hes actually a very irresponsible person who never sees his kids and should be in jail for growing cannabis. What are other peoples experiences with these covid deniers? Are they normally like that?

@nudge he managed to convince a judge he didnt know it was there 😂 I personally think if you dont get vaccinated and dont follow guidelines you should have to pay for your treatment. The main issue with covid are medical services not being able to cope. So people should have to pay to get private doctors in I think.

49 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

My mate last night said he doesn't believe covid is real. I pointed out to him that surely it was more likely covid was real that all the governments thousands of scientists, and doctors are all lying. But he still thinks that. Hes actually a very irresponsible person who never sees his kids and should be in jail for growing cannabis. What are other peoples experiences with these covid deniers? Are they normally like that?

My cousin.

He's basically alienated himself from a large part of our family because he's 100% convinced its made up.

He posts stuff on Facebook that you'd think was written for a science fiction movie and claims its real but refuses to believe covid is real.

It's actually divided families Covid.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

@nudge he managed to convince a judge he didnt know it was there 😂

I just found it amusing how random that fact about your mate was xD personally, I don't think anyone should be in jail for growing cannabis.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nudge said:

I just found it amusing how random that fact about your mate was xD personally, I don't think anyone should be in jail for growing cannabis.

Sounds like something someone who grows Cannabis would say. I already informed the authorities. So long, you filthy criminal!

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, nudge said:

He was growing a lot of it