talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

Lots of Chinese people moved into my area in the last 2-3 years. I always try not to seem too distant when I see them in a super market or something, because I heard they're being discriminated against just because of the virus. :( Not in my neighbourhood! 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

New case in London confirmed. Apparently they went to hospital in an Uber and walked in to A&E. God knows how many other people could have caught it after that...

That's the same case that was confirmed yesterday. Still 9 cases in total in the UK!

3 hours ago, Eco said:

I am surprised that it hasn't been reported in Atlanta yet. With having the busiest airport in the world, you'd think it'd be a breeding ground this virus's. 

Luckily I'm going to the mountains this weekend. 

Wow - it really is the busiest airport in the world. By quite a margin too. That surprises me. I would have thought New York, Miami or Beijing had the busiest airport.

Looking at this list, also surprised Toronto Pearson is in the top 30. Didn't think it was that busy.

23 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Wow - it really is the busiest airport in the world. By quite a margin too. That surprises me. I would have thought New York, Miami or Beijing had the busiest airport.

Looking at this list, also surprised Toronto Pearson is in the top 30. Didn't think it was that busy.

New York has multiple airports. I think the two busiest in the world is Atlanta (Home of Delta and a few others), and Chicago. 

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

No. Atlanta is the busiest, but 2nd is Beijing. 

I know Atlanta is the busiest, it used to be between us and Chicago (Home of American Airlines). 

I'm sure the traffic numbers for Beijing are plummeting at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Eco said:

Yes. it's absolutely massive. 

Why does it get so much traffic mate?

I've always known it was the biggest but don't really understand it as there would be no need to be a stopover location for domestic flights and I'd expect most flights from Europe would touch down the east coast.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I've always known it was the biggest but don't really understand it as there would be no need to be a stopover location for domestic flights and I'd expect most flights from Europe would touch down the east coast.

Well, I think Delta is the largest Airline in the world, and they are based in Atlanta. But there are also 3 or so airlines with their HQ in Atlanta, but nothing as big as Delta. 

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hartsfield–Jackson is the primary hub of Delta Air Lines, and is a focus city for low-cost carriers Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and Spirit Airlines

4 hours ago, Eco said:

Hartsfield–Jackson is the primary hub of Delta Air Lines, and is a focus city for low-cost carriers Frontier Airlines, Southwest Airlines, and Spirit Airlines

Ok it's starting to make sense, but I think for Atlanta to be the world's biggest it would require at least one of these to be true.

1. More people travel to Atlanta to visit than any other US city.

2. Atlanta is frequently a stopover location for domestic flights connecting East and West coast USA.

3. Atlanta is frequently used as a stopover location for international flights between USA to Europe, AND USA and Asia.

From what I know of things I think all of the above are not the case therefore I can't understand how Atlanta beats LA, NY or Chicago

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/coronavirus-in-westminster-infected-chinese-woman-went-to-bus-conference-attended-by-250-people-including-mps-and-chief-executives/ar-BBZZgQD?ocid=wispr

Probably the most effective way to get the UK government to react to coronavirus outbreaks in the UK, exposing them to the virus.

20 hours ago, Harry said:

Ok it's starting to make sense, but I think for Atlanta to be the world's biggest it would require at least one of these to be true.

2. Atlanta is frequently a stopover location for domestic flights connecting East and West coast USA.

3. Atlanta is frequently used as a stopover location for international flights between USA to Europe, AND USA and Asia.

From what I know of things I think all of the above are not the case therefore I can't understand how Atlanta beats LA, NY or Chicago

It’s within a 2 hour flight of 80% of the US population.

On 13/02/2020 at 20:51, Harry said:

Well, its easy to look up, and its true. We are a massive stop over, but as I said of NY, their are 2 airports there which hurts their numbers.

On 14/02/2020 at 21:49, Dr. Gonzo said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/coronavirus-in-westminster-infected-chinese-woman-went-to-bus-conference-attended-by-250-people-including-mps-and-chief-executives/ar-BBZZgQD?ocid=wispr

Probably the most effective way to get the UK government to react to coronavirus outbreaks in the UK, exposing them to the virus.

I got an email from the GP practice yesterday saying if you have flu symptoms and have been to a list of particular countries in the last 14 days then do NOT book an appointment to see the GP. That's all stemmed from this person getting an uber to rock up at a hospital. 

Once it can no longer be put down to travel or contact with a known person who has recently travelled then it will be a whole new ball game.

On 13/02/2020 at 17:51, Harry said:

It's a hub for Delta (I think their headquarters is at an address at the airport tbh - much like how Southwest's got a big office at the Dallas-Ft. Worth airport. Because it's basically the primary Delta hub, that also makes it a primary hub for: Air France, Virgin Atlantic, Aeroflot, Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromexico, Air Europa, Air France, Alitalia, China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, Czech Airlines, Garuda Indonesia, Gol Transportes Aereos, Hawaiian Airlines, Kenya Airways, KLM, Korean Air, Seaborne Airlines, Transavia, Vietnam Airlines, Virgin Australia and West Jet.

Aside from those big airlines - there's also the Delta Connect (or whatever it's called) range of brands that all pass through Atlanta as well.

And then there's the airlines that pretty much go to almost every big airport in the country - Southwest, Frontier, etc... those all have routes to Atlanta.

As a result, #2 on your list is absolutely true. And Atlanta is the biggest airport in terms of passenger traffic in the world.

@nudge since this is probably a better place to talk about coronavirus in Iran than the Asian football thread xD

Qom (where the first instances of the virus) isn't too far from Arak - about the same distance as Qom is from Tehran... but considering how quickly the virus seems to spread, it's pretty concerning. Because Arak's an industrial hub  - so you've got tons of people and things coming and going from the city.

Hopefully the virus stays the fuck away from my gran in Shiraz & hopefully she doesn't travel to Tehran anytime soon (but I know she goes back and forth between the two cities pretty regularly).

• Upvote 1

A big worry for it spreading to Iran is that the sanctions have made it really difficult to get medicine into Iran. I know there's no vaccine for the disease right now, but I think the sanctions mean that even if there is a vaccine made anytime soon... it's probably not going to make it's way to Iran.

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A big worry for it spreading to Iran is that the sanctions have made it really difficult to get medicine into Iran. I know there's no vaccine for the disease right now, but I think the sanctions mean that even if there is a vaccine made anytime soon... it's probably not going to make it's way to Iran.

Surely the civilised world would behave better than that with lifesaving medicine for a global pandemic!?

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Surely the civilised world would behave better than that with lifesaving medicine for a global pandemic!?

Isn’t the purpose of these blanket sanctions hoping to make people suffer enough they stand up to the government? They use targeted sanctions on government officials, but these blanket ones are just designed to cut Iran off from the rest of the world to force them to try to change regimes.

Never mind that every time there’s been a big uprising it’s also ended up with the side that’s armed shooting protestors...

Considering other fucked up things that have happened in the Middle East I wouldn’t put it passed anyone