talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

Cabinet minister Michael Gove has been doing the rounds this morning. Speaking on The Andrew Marr Show, he admitted that “all governments make mistakes, including our own.”

He added: “We seek to learn and to improve every day.

"It is the case, I'm sure, at some point in the future, that there will be an opportunity for us to look back, to reflect and to learn some profound lessons."

If I had a pound for every time I heard the same old shit being trotted out by Government I would be a very, very rich man.... 

4 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

Cabinet minister Michael Gove has been doing the rounds this morning. Speaking on The Andrew Marr Show, he admitted that “all governments make mistakes, including our own.”

"It is the case, I'm sure, at some point in the future, that there will be an opportunity for us to look back, to reflect and to learn some profound lessons."

If I had a pound for every time I heard the same old shit being trotted out by Government I would be a very, very rich man.... 

These daily updates seem more of a dodge the question exercise.

Edited by MUFC

• Administrator
5 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

On top of this I find the Boris-bummers' excuse to him not attending COBRA meetings a bit weak.

There's justified uproar on the back of the news he didn't attend any of the 5 before the outbreak properly hit the UK. To miss one or two and send a rep is fine. But to not bother go to any of the 5? Nah, that's weak leadership for me and smacks of someone who doesn't really have a clue and would rather have his aides/advisors/secretaries of each department do the work while Boris takes the credit, or alternatively do the work and if it doesn't work out, his advisors take the hit.

They say 'he doesn't usually go to them'.

Oh, that's alright then! Carry on as you were! 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Stan said:

On top of this I find the Boris-bummers' excuse to him not attending COBRA meetings a bit weak.

There's justified uproar on the back of the news he didn't attend any of the 5 before the outbreak properly hit the UK. To miss one or two and send a rep is fine. But to not bother go to any of the 5? Nah, that's weak leadership for me and smacks of someone who doesn't really have a clue and would rather have his aides/advisors/secretaries of each department do the work while Boris takes the credit, or alternatively do the work and if it doesn't work out, his advisors take the hit.

They say 'he doesn't usually go to them'.

Oh, that's alright then! Carry on as you were! 

I have enough problems with Boris Johnson and this cabinet but there is a much wider issue involving SAGE and that "Nerve" unit who clearly didn't grasp the situation fully until far too late. Johnson wasn't attending the COBRA meetings because our scientists advised him that the virus wasn't a significant issue at the time and it didn't require urgent action from the Prime Minister.

How they came to that conclusion, I have no answer. They could be forgiven for thinking it was a distant problem when it was isolated to China but as soon as we had Italian surgeons ringing their colleagues in the UK begging us to go into lockdown instead of leaving it too late like they did I don't understand how it took them several more weeks to get their shit together. 

Their reluctance to go into lockdown too early on the basis that the public wouldn't stick with it if lockdown went on for too long was wildly misguided as well. Anyone with access to Twitter or BBC News was very aware of the severity of the situation way before we went into lockdown. The hope that "social distancing" which was entirely dependent on every single person in the country obeying "optional" measures was naive at best as well.

However, when the government say that they're following the science, it is true, they are following the advice of our scientists instead of what the experts of the WHO have been saying. The government are right to do this at the end of the day, and the questions should be asked of our scientific experts behind the scenes who gave them this advice.

There are many missteps the government have taken on a political level, don't get me wrong, but it's a pretty regular thing apparently that prime ministers don't attend every single COBRA meeting. Former ministers from both parties have admitted this today.

Johnson has many, many faults but I'm not having this part-time prime minister narrative. He wants to be Winston Churchill and this crisis is the best opportunity he'll get to be spoken of in those terms. It does seem that he over-worked himself after initially being diagnosed with the virus and that contributed to him eventually being admitted to hospital and intensive care. I'm not going to call him stupid for doing so either because I think in the same circumstances I'd probably be just as pig-headed and try to battle through, as would many of us on here.

• Upvote 2

There are many missteps the government have taken on a political level, don't get me wrong, but it's a pretty regular thing apparently that prime ministers don't attend every single COBRA meeting. Former ministers from both parties have admitted this today.

That is a section from a good post from Rando - unfortunately he must have missed the interview with Blair this morning - he refused to say if he missed any - simply saying that he couldn't remember.  There's a lot more that he has under that category to bother about!!

Edited by SchalkeUK

I find it quite unbelievable the extent to which trump is being giving unconditional coverage throughout this saga. 

Every day from 5pm for two or more hours live on every channel.

It purports to provide an update on coronavirus but actually seems to provide minimal factual info, substantial misinformation and mostly campaigning and/or grievance airing. 

That's just the most oversaturated level of communication from a leader that I could ever imagine.

• Administrator

Some updates:

Early signs of a new test devised by University of South Wales which could have results within 30 mins. Not sure on accuracy but apparently 'promising'.

Singapore - largest case by day so far (1,426)

Spain - lowest death toll in nearly a month, by day - 410. No plans to lift lockdown as yet.

Germany - some shops re-opening as lockdown eases - small shops, book stores, garages any size can re-open but maintain social distancing. Virus 'tentatively under control'. 

Denmark - some businesses (such as barbers, dentists) reopening

France - death toll nears 20,000. Face masks could become compulsory

Slovenia - 'random' testing to take place. Teams to visit up to 3,000 homes and carry out tests on occupants to see how widespread virus is.

Australia - Sydney to be specific - 3 beaches re-opened for 'exercise only' 

Czech Republic - introduced one of the earliest lockdowns in Europe (12th March) - now re-opening markets, car dealerships, and other small shops/businesses. Part of a 5-stage plan. 

India - some lockdown restrictions easing in places where virus hasn't struck majorly - farming businesses, banks, cargo-carriers can resume travelling. 

China - tourist areas have re-opened, some along the Great Wall. 

NY - apparently passed the peak of virus cases 

• Administrator
Just now, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Not sure if that's a fishing attempt or not really. 

Not fishing for anything really. Just found it amusing. Obviously I know the circumstances are obscenely different.

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Some updates:

Early signs of a new test devised by University of South Wales which could have results within 30 mins. Not sure on accuracy but apparently 'promising'.

Singapore - largest case by day so far (1,426)

Spain - lowest death toll in nearly a month, by day - 410. No plans to lift lockdown as yet.

Germany - some shops re-opening as lockdown eases - small shops, book stores, garages any size can re-open but maintain social distancing. Virus 'tentatively under control'. 

Denmark - some businesses (such as barbers, dentists) reopening

France - death toll nears 20,000. Face masks could become compulsory

Slovenia - 'random' testing to take place. Teams to visit up to 3,000 homes and carry out tests on occupants to see how widespread virus is.

AustraliaSydney to be specific - 3 beaches re-opened for 'exercise only' 

Czech Republic - introduced one of the earliest lockdowns in Europe (12th March) - now re-opening markets, car dealerships, and other small shops/businesses. Part of a 5-stage plan. 

India - some lockdown restrictions easing in places where virus hasn't struck majorly - farming businesses, banks, cargo-carriers can resume travelling. 

China - tourist areas have re-opened, some along the Great Wall. 

NY - apparently passed the peak of virus cases 

Canada - Trudeau admits it could be weeks before shutdown measures are lifted

Ecuador - Cases have slowed down, but authorities admit the official deaths could well be higher than 475.

Brazil: Bolsonaro wants to appoint new minister to confront pandemic.

Cases in the America's

1. USA - 760,000 cases - 40,000 deaths

2. Brazil - 39,000 cases - 2500 deaths

3. Canada - 35,000 cases - 1500 deaths

4. Peru - 16,000 cases - 400 deaths

5. Chile - 11,000 cases - 133 deaths

6. Ecuador - 9500 cases - 475 deaths

7. Mexico - 8200 cases - 686 deaths

8. Panama - 4500 cases - 126 deaths

9. Colombia - 3800 cases - 179 deaths

10. Argentina - 3000 cases - 134 deaths

11. Costa Rica - 660 cases - 5 deaths

12. Bolivia - 560 cases - 33 deaths

13. Uruguay - 530 cases - 10 deaths

14. Honduras - 480 cases - 46 deaths

15. Guatemala - 290 cases - 7 deaths

16. Venezuela - 256 cases - 9 deaths

17. El Salvador - 218 cases - 7 deaths

18. Paraguay - 220 cases - 8 deaths

19. Belize - 18 cases - 2 deaths

20. Nicaragua - 10 cases - 2 deaths

First Minister Mark Drakeford has now said that the 5,000 tests a day target by mid April was 'not achievable in practice', partially due to things out of their control, such as equipment and reagent chemicals coming from overseas (which I'm pretty sure the UK government have been criticised for). 

Now he has abandoned the target that was 'given to him in good faith' as 'he had confidence from those developing testing' and has not given any indication as to how much testing they hope to achieve. 

So that's 1,300 a day tops for the foreseeable future and we aren't even close to hitting that already. 

I know I've said plenty of times that this isn't the time to politicise and criticise, but this just proves the sheer incompetence of Welsh Labour once more. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Inti Brian said:

Canada - Trudeau admits it could be weeks before shutdown measures are lifted

Ecuador - Cases have slowed down, but authorities admit the official deaths could well be higher than 475.

Brazil: Bolsonaro wants to appoint new minister to confront pandemic.

Missed those parts of the Americas out for a reason.

Literally no-one cares. 

:ph34r: