talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Rishi Sunak actually demonstrates an understanding of detail when he does the briefings, and I do feel a bit sorry for Matt Hancock in all of this. I genuinely think he is working as hard as he can to resolve this thing but I'm not sure everyone around him is working as hard in exactly the same direction.

Hopefully some of the new blood on the opposite benches prove to be a bit more impressive. Angela Rayner is the only one left from the Corbyn era of any prominence and I am a fan of hers.

Sturgeon, predictably as the only one with any experience amongst the prominent leaders, seems to have struck the right balance between humanity and states(wo)manship throughout this.

Sunak & Sharma are articulate and seem to have a sense of humanity and care about them.

I feel Hancock will be the fall guy (if he's not already). If it all goes to shit the finger will be pointed at him given his role, perhaps rightly so in some aspects but you can't scape-goat him for everything.

Starmer comes across as likeable in the opposition. At least more assertive than Corbyn and will show some resilience against Johnson. Starmer strikes me as someone who won't get sucked in to mind games that BoJo/Tories might play.

1 hour ago, MUFC said:

Is it me or does the outside world seek to be getting busier?

Definitely is. When I go to town or out on a walk I always take the same routes at the same time of day. Compared to this time a couple of weeks ago I pass dozens more people and a hell of a lot more traffic than I used to. Suspect the fear factor is loosening up now.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

Interesting, though I can't see anything local regarding this for Cardiff and Newport (though both areas have been badly hit, with mine not too far behind). 

Not too surprising mind as cities will get the brunt of this regardless.

1 hour ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Interesting, though I can't see anything local regarding this for Cardiff and Newport (though both areas have been badly hit, with mine not too far behind). 

Not too surprising mind as cities will get the brunt of this regardless.

Newport and Sunderland makes sense somewhat in theory. Large number of jobs people can't work from home. 

• Subscriber

An update on my local situation:

The blue curve represents expected cases if no social distancing or lockdown was put in place. The red curve is an expected trajectory with social distancing measures. The yellow curve is a best case scenario. The green curve is a three day average of actual positive cases.

The island has tested almost 3000 residents out of 90000, people have adhered to the government guidance and the borders were closed to new arrivals on the day that the first locally transmitted case of the virus was discovered. As cases started to drop, residents stranded overseas were repatriated and put up in a hotel for two weeks of quarantine before returning to their homes.

We now have no confirmed new cases for three days and only 4 people have died in hospital. Unfortunately the major black spot on our record is in a local care home where 12 residents have died after 40+ tested positive for coronavirus. No news on how this happened but a truly awful outbreak there.

The lockdown measures are now gradually being eased. The 1 hour restriction on outdoor exercise has been lifted and construction workers and other trades are now allowed to return to work if they deem it possible to do so while continuing to observe social distancing.

A good effort overall from our government and community. (Touch wood).

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Anti-vaxxers and 5G pessimist knobheads spreading fake news that this lady who trialled the vaccine a couple of days ago has died. When in fact she was on BBC earlier today and said she's feeling fine. 

:/

33 minutes ago, Stan said:

Anti-vaxxers and 5G pessimist knobheads spreading fake news that this lady who trialled the vaccine a couple of days ago has died. When in fact she was on BBC earlier today and said she's feeling fine. 

:/

It's shit like this which highlights the failures of society again. Why spread horseshit when there's no proof or sources of this? 

On a lighter note, here's an article showing some of the excuses the police in Wales have heard, as well as having a few unwanted English visitors at this time. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52386123

Edited by Bluebird Hewitt

The government have ordered 50 million immunity tests. First million expected early summer. Will cost £10 to get tested.

Pin prick of blood required, then device will tell you within 20 minutes if you have been heavily exposed to a 5G mast had coronavirus.

1 hour ago, Harvsky said:

The government have ordered 50 million immunity tests. First million expected early summer. Will cost £10 to get tested.

Pin prick of blood required, then device will tell you within 20 minutes if you have been heavily exposed to a 5G mast had coronavirus.

Without being a bit of a selfish twat, considering the circumstances and the fear of a second spike, surely these should be free. 

22 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Without being a bit of a selfish twat, considering the circumstances and the fear of a second spike, surely these should be free. 

The Governments got to try and make back all this money it never had for nurses pay rises and furlough payments somehow.... I mean let's clamp down on businesses that were exploiting people by jacking up prices of vital products during the virus but because we are the government it's ok for us to exploit something we know millions of people will probably want right?? 

28 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

The Governments got to try and make back all this money it never had for nurses pay rises and furlough payments somehow.... I mean let's clamp down on businesses that were exploiting people by jacking up prices of vital products during the virus but because we are the government it's ok for us to exploit something we know millions of people will probably want right?? 

Meh. I guess. 

• Subscriber

Yeah if they get a tenner off everyone for 50 million tests that's half a billion pounds they'll make back. The amount they've spent on this crisis and will lose in all sorts of tax (VAT, income tax, etc.) will require an increase in taxation for a long time, some have said it could be a generation before it's paid off. This seems like a pretty harmless way to take an initial chunk out of that deficit. The arguments about whether those that are less financially stable than others should have to pay for it themselves remain valid as well though.

Aside from the token strange comparison between a virus and a mugger, and frankly bizarre reference to our "apparent success" the day after we hit 20,000 hospital deaths, Johnson was otherwise on point with his statement and his return comes at an important time today. Things appeared to just have started floating again in the UK. The message needs to be that we're on top now and we have to finish the job. He's a dishonest moron but people listen to him and he does have some leadership qualities as a public figure. You can feel a void being filled with Johnson returning as there's a real lack of depth in what he has to offer across the rest of that cabinet.

47 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

The arguments about whether those that are less financially stable than others should have to pay for it themselves remain valid as well though.

I would probably put the elderly and poorer members of the public down for free kits along with all of the health workers, emergency services and essential workers that have been on the frontline of it since it began if it was my choice... Not everyone has been able to work from home and keep themselves reasonably isolated from the risks of getting it...