talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

1 minute ago, nudge said:

3 new cases confirmed in Germany (Bavaria); all are co-workers of the first infected German person. This confirms human-to-human transmission outside China.

It was a stupid "assumption" in the first place to believe only Chinese people had the ability or so to pass the virus to other people as if the virus mutated when it infected non-Chinese people.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Weird because in the Resident Evil series the T-Virus is made by Umbrella Pharmaceuticals and their logo is...

latest?cb=20100731191740

:o

Haha yeah, it was a joke, don't know what the actual logo Harvey mentioned is. Hope not, i'd like to have a fortress, a tank and loads of weapons, ammo and unlimited food and water if that were the case.

Honestly I think those crappy surgical masks would be significantly better than nothing. They are rubbish for bushfire smoke because you're breathing in through the sides but they cut out spittle and a lot of direct line of sight transmission. If you combine it with other good hygeine practices you'd be statistically a lot less likely to come out of a train carriage with corona virus than those being completely casual about it and doing nothing imo.

• Subscriber
Just now, Berserker said:

It was a stupid "assumption" in the first place to believe only Chinese people had the ability or so to pass the virus to other people as if the virus mutated when it infected non-Chinese people.

I agree that it's a very stupid assumption but the virus HAS mutated already. Data suggests at most 5 mutations at this point: https://nextstrain.org/ncov?fbclid=IwAR1qvINHzWJjiqJ5pah64LnToD2VYS7hvcWnJnOPIdVxRewzZ4gsA3cRbzQ

17 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Haha yeah, it was a joke, don't know what the actual logo Harvey mentioned is. Hope not, i'd like to have a fortress, a tank and loads of weapons, ammo and unlimited food and water if that were the case.

Oh hahahaha xD - made me almost shit myself

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Honestly I think those crappy surgical masks would be significantly better than nothing. They are rubbish for bushfire smoke because you're breathing in through the sides but they cut out spittle and a lot of direct line of sight transmission. If you combine it with other good hygeine practices you'd be statistically a lot less likely to come out of a train carriage with corona virus than those being completely casual about it and doing nothing imo.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that this disease is spreading pretty quickly in China because they've got a few unsanitary habits like constantly spitting on the ground. Couple shit like that with a ridiculous population and densely populated cities, where many people are living in those large bloc towers that pack as many units (and people) into them as possible... and you've got a recipe for disease spreading quickly

• Subscriber
17 minutes ago, Harry said:

Definitely better than nothing - but only if used correctly AND combined with other hygiene practices as you said. In principle those masks are designed to protect the environment from the wearer, not the other way around (unless it's antiviral ones). A good idea during outbreaks like these as at least it reduces the chance of the infected ones spreading the virus through the droplets via sneezing or coughing... 

Also the virus can be contracted through eyes.

1 hour ago, nudge said:

Definitely better than nothing - but only if used correctly AND combined with other hygiene practices as you said. In principle those masks are designed to protect the environment from the wearer, not the other way around (unless it's antiviral ones). A good idea during outbreaks like these as at least it reduces the chance of the infected ones spreading the virus through the droplets via sneezing or coughing... 

Also the virus can be contracted through eyes.

Gas mask it is then. Or a Darth Vader helmet. xD

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

I think I'm due a re-watch again... 🙈

Because of you I started watching random scenes on Youtube again just now. The show would never have been what it is without Michael Giacchino. The music is phenomenal. 

Anyway, so far only Bavaria. So it's all good here. 

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Latest update from China:

5999 confirmed cases (1239 of those critical/serious)
9239 suspected cases.
132 deaths.
104 recoveries.
59990 close contacts of the infected undergoing medical observations.

65 cases abroad (+23 in Hongkong, Taiwan and Macau).

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Imagine being told you have to leave your 3yr old son in a country where there's a deadly virus spreading, even though he's eligible to return. 

Just read this, horrible. 

Almost beats Americans who are making their citizens pay in order to get a seat on the evacuation flight xD

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, nudge said:

Just read this, horrible. 

Almost beats Americans who are making their citizens pay in order to get a seat on the evacuation flight xD

Basically our government/Home Office make some fucking weird decisions sometimes. They're already in the shit after the whole Windrush scandal recently. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Batard said:

The recovery rate at least appears to be increasing, albeit slowly 

The official numbers aren't very representative and are pretty hard to interpret correctly I believe. Current data makes it look like the number of deaths and the number of recoveries are more or less equal. But I bet there are thousands of mild cases where people recover on their own and don't require medical help and therefore aren't included in those numbers. On the other hand, it's possible that the deaths are underreported as well (especially in cases were someone dies without being diagnosed beforehand). 

So far, it looks like it's a fairly contagious (R0 around 2-3) but not a very lethal virus, thankfully. 

• The title was changed to Deadly Virus Outbreak (Coronavirus) in China