talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator

AfricaCDC have published their figures up to today

Also,

Eswatini (4), Ethiopia(9), Gabon (4), Gambia (1), Ghana (21), Guinea (2), Kenya(7), Liberia(3), Madagascar(3), Mauritius (14), Mauritania(2), Morocco (96), Namibia(3), Niger (1), Nigeria(25), Rwanda (17), Senegal(56), Seychelles(7), Somalia(1), South Africa (240), Sudan(2), (...) Tanzania(6), Togo(9), Tunisia(60), Uganda(1), Zambia(2), Zimbabwe (2). Territories (2) with cases: Mayotte(4), Reunion(47).

Deaths:
Algeria(15), Burkina Faso (3), DRC (1), Egypt(10), Gabon(1), Ghana(1), Mauritius(1), Morocco(3), Sudan(1), Tunisia (1), (...)

16 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

What part of India are you from? If it's somewhere like Varanasi or New Delhi I'd imagine it must feel weird with the streets not being so crowded!

We get that every day at 8 PM too. We also have our unofficial anthem "Contigo Peru" playing in the meantime. I just wish people would sing along, would be the perfect touch xD

I am from Mumbai, which is extremely crowded on any time of the day. But it has been absolutely empty today. The voluntary curfew was followed to perfection. But the country has been slowly pushed into a lockdown, which is necessary.

Now, all offices, public transport have been closed till 31 March. Most states are in lock down now. Unprecedented scenes, but it's necessary. We are begining to see spike in cases, because the people who arrived from outside behaved like arseholes.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Are they using Malaria tablets in USA?

People are taking paracetamol with maximum dosage and IF you don't have any lung problems or shortness of breath symptoms then you should take ibuprofen IF paracetamol isn't helping.

1 hour ago, Toinho said:

I’ve lost all confidence in my country. 
State and federal government along with their chief health officers are wankers.

From midday tomorrow everything is basically shut. Except shops (we do need food).....and schools. But they’re allowing VICTORIA to finish a few days early (on Tuesday). 

I cant even type the other stuff he has suggested around schools. I just feel worthless. 

Hey mate, what's your specific concern? I've been pondering the schools issue since I saw the conference and am just unsure.

Initially I was proud of our premier for sticking to his guns (Victoria/Melbourne being the only one to close its schools early). There's obviously been a whole table of others in the cabinet meeting trying to get him to fall in line but he's held firm. I can only respect that tbh. But that decision will increase the pressure on every other premier and the PM so it's sure to have made him unpopular.

Since watching that unfold I've done some reading and felt that there could be merit to the argument around kids being low incidence of corona. See the age distribution of corona cases in South Korea below. Other than Germany its the only country who's data I trust because they both have capacity for tests and are testing everyone not just the people who are coming into hospital.

I can't find the data for age distribution of Germany's corona cases, but the South Korea example does seem to make a case that day care and schools are lower risk environments on average than places with dense congregations of adults.

20200322_231859.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Hey mate, what's your specific concern? I've been pondering the schools issue since I saw the conference and am just unsure.

Initially I was proud of our premier for sticking to his guns (Victoria/Melbourne being the only one to close its schools early). There's obviously been a whole table of others in the cabinet meeting trying to get him to fall in line but he's held firm. I can only respect that tbh. But that decision will increase the pressure on every other premier and the PM so it's sure to have made him unpopular.

Since watching that unfold I've done some reading and felt that there could be merit to the argument around kids being low incidence of corona. See the age distribution of corona cases in South Korea below. Other than Germany its the only country who's data I trust because they both have capacity for tests and are testing everyone not just the people who are coming into hospital.

I can't find the data for age distribution of Germany's corona cases, but the South Korea example does seem to make a case that day care and schools are lower risk environments on average than places with dense congregations of adults.

20200322_231859.jpg

This isn't the point though. Even if children don't suffer severe symptoms they do carry the virus. I've seen them described as super carriers as early as last month.

Imagine one person has the virus, it is symptomless for up to 4 days, so they catch it on Saturday. Monday they send one of their kids to primary school and another to secondary school. Both carry the virus. With luck, the kids each pass the virus on to two other kids, who show no symptoms, take it home, pass it to their parents, come back into school the next day and pass it on to two new class mates each. This whole time, even the parent of the first two kids doesn't know they're carrying the virus. Wednesday arrives and the original parent develops a cough and a fever, the family self isolates for 2 weeks. Too late. One of the teachers at the secondary school catches the virus off one of the kids that is carrying it invisibly. They take it home, pass it to their partner who works in an office, as well as their daughter who goes to a school 5 miles away. The process continues.

Today our local government told us not to visit our mothers for Mothers Day. I have no symptoms and my Mum isn't vulnerable, nor are any of her household, but her Mum, my Nana is vulnerable as a woman in her 70s, so I'm staying away. It isn't worth the risk. Yet tomorrow, I am expected to turn up to school where I'll be within two metres throughout the day of at least a dozen staff and probably a hundred kids, all from different households, all potential carriers.

Keeping schools open is totally idiotic.

• Upvote 2

Went for a walk round Richmond Park today, massive park with loads of space, thought it’d be fine.

The amount of families and large groups just wandering around as if nothing is happening, parents letting their kids run off and into other people...we intended a decent 2 hour walk...lasted 20 minutes and turned back.We managed to keep a distance from people but began being very difficult to do that.

Police shutting the park down now

2 hours ago, Stan said:

It's legit in the Sunday Times. Not the first time we've heard something akin to 'let people die', especially given what Boris said barely 2 weeks ago about 'sadly loved-ones will die' but get over it, pretty much. 

They're cold-hearted cunts.

I'm not agreeing with them but I would say that some times hard decisions need to be made when it is easier to take the nicer response.

I'd expect all leaders of all countries are reviewing some pretty decent situational analysis models, outlining different possible future states 18 months from now when a vaccine is finally developed.

Perhaps by that point the nation that just kept calm and carried on and let the virus rip through in three brutal months is faring better than the nation that locked all it's people away for the majority of 18 months. Perhaps the economy is better, and back on the way up, when the other nation has turned its entire populace agoraphobic, and suffers a prolonged economic depression, and entrained low productivity that takes a decade to fix and is ultimately far more destructive...

I don't know, but this could be a picture of the truth your not being told, and the reasons why those in power are doing what they are....

Cunt A: What shall we do as part of our social distancing and isolation measures? 

Cunt B: Shall we nip up to Pen Y Fan or Snowdonia? 

Cunt A: But many people might do the same and it could be heaving.

Cunt B: Nah, many will stay away and there'll be plenty of room for everyone to keep social distancing regardless. 

Cunt A: Ok then. Let's go. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51994504

Why is it so hard for the thick fucking cunts to understand a simple message? 

No doubt if any of them test positive and possibly die, it'll be the UK and Welsh government's fault. Wankers. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Are you guys getting the "schools should stay open because kids aren't vulnerable and fuck the teachers" treatment too?

Yep. 

Throw in childcare services etc too. I get there would be an impact on those working in the health industry but I don’t get schools being open. Our medical association president wants them closed, but the chief health officer seemingly doesn’t. 

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

20200322_231859.jpg

See Rando’s answer. Your post is part of the problem. Only 6% of cases in South Korea are kids? Wouldn’t we want to lower that ffs. About the same as 70-79 age group yet we are protecting them. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Yep. 

Throw in childcare services etc too. I get there would be an impact on those working in the health industry but I don’t get schools being open. Our medical association president wants them closed, but the chief health officer seemingly doesn’t. 

I have no problem with schools being used as emergency childcare for people who need (as in actually need like medical staff, not fucking bank clerks and bus drivers) to keep going to work. I would happily man it myself and take that risk as someone who isn't vulnerable. They've given parents a choice to keep their kids at home with no penalty over here now but nobody seems to care about keeping teachers out of the firing line. Just been told that if you have underlying health issues or you're pregnant to self isolate.

People need to start listening to what's happening across the world. Italy aren't able to treat under 60s now because people are dangerously circulating stats about how under 60s wont die from it, but they still need intensive care in many cases and hospital staff have been forced to choose to prioritise the younger patients because they have a better chance of survival. Many many vulnerable people who could have survived are dying because younger people (or the people around them) are being stupid and allowing themselves to get sick and take up beds, indirectly killing others unnecessarily. 

I cant believe we've got this far into this pandemic and people still haven't opened their eyes.

7 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Sit on your fucking sofa. It's not hard.

People are dull and stubborn cunts who'll happily give a middle finger and say 'No one can tell me what to do'. 

A mate of mine sent an article mentioning that Evangeline Lilly would not self isolate because 'she values freedom'. O.o

12 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

This isn't the point though. Even if children don't suffer severe symptoms they do carry the virus. I've seen them described as super carriers as early as last month.

Imagine one person has the virus, it is symptomless for up to 4 days, so they catch it on Saturday. Monday they send one of their kids to primary school and another to secondary school. Both carry the virus. With luck, the kids each pass the virus on to two other kids, who show no symptoms, take it home, pass it to their parents, come back into school the next day and pass it on to two new class mates each. This whole time, even the parent of the first two kids doesn't know they're carrying the virus. Wednesday arrives and the original parent develops a cough and a fever, the family self isolates for 2 weeks. Too late. One of the teachers at the secondary school catches the virus off one of the kids that is carrying it invisibly. They take it home, pass it to their partner who works in an office, as well as their daughter who goes to a school 5 miles away. The process continues.

Today our local government told us not to visit our mothers for Mothers Day. I have no symptoms and my Mum isn't vulnerable, nor are any of her household, but her Mum, my Nana is vulnerable as a woman in her 70s, so I'm staying away. It isn't worth the risk. Yet tomorrow, I am expected to turn up to school where I'll be within two metres throughout the day of at least a dozen staff and probably a hundred kids, all from different households, all potential carriers.

Keeping schools open is totally idiotic.

An asymptomatic child would be a super carrier because in most places they'd be undetected. However the data from south Korea appears to suggest that she group is a very minute proportion of the overall carrier's, and if you normalised those carrier numbers against that age groups overall share of the population it would seem to suggest they are significantly less likely to be infected (and thus be carriers) than those in other age groups.

19 minutes ago, Toinho said:

See Rando’s answer. Your post is part of the problem. Only 6% of cases in South Korea are kids? Wouldn’t we want to lower that ffs. About the same as 70-79 age group yet we are protecting them. 

Well last I heard it killed about 20% of those aged 70-79 whereas basically does not appear to cause major problems for children.

I would still close the schools in the same position myself by the way, but I don't see their line of thinking as totally incorrect. That was my point. It smelled like total BS to me up front (and I have taken my son out of kinder), but when I actually looked into it that argument didn't collapse the way I expected.

31 minutes ago, Toinho said:

Kids also carry the virus and spread it to adults...keep the fuckers away

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

Amazing scenes here. A little respite in this environment of fear. People observing voluntary curfew impeccably and now everyone was suppose to clap, cheer or make noise for 5 minutes at 5 PM from their windows as a mark of respect to doctors, police, etc. It went on for 15 mins instead. Never have I seen anything like this.

@Mel81x how was it there?

It's been quiet to say the least. I live in a very busy part of Bangalore and today it was so quiet I actually stepped out onto the balcony to see what was going on. Then 5PM came rolling around everyone came out to hear people cheering and clapping. I think this is going to do wonders for the city and the news going around now is that Karnataka zones (Bangalore included) are pushing for a lockdown till the 31st. I thought people would still be roaming the streets but that's not the case. I quite like it if I am being honest.

Spent four hours today on Zoom with the band just talking rubbish and playing stuff and trying to get some remote jamming going on. Thought it would be horrible but it was a good exercise.

Edited by Mel81x
  • Upvote 1

This senator insider trading story in the US gets a little more juicy: the head of the NYSE was married to one of these criminal politicians: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nyse-jeffrey-c-sprecher-kelly-loeffler-sold-company-stock-ahead-of-coronavirus-market-meltdown/#

Rampant political corruption during times of a pandemic is arguably the most American thing ever

• Upvote 1