talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

43 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

And while air traffic is a huge factor in the virus spreading, it's not everything. I think Europe and USA have it worse because of leadership, complacency and air traffic, however a virus spreads when it's there if patient zero isn't isolated well. Even that might not be enough with something as contagious as this. The virus started in China and the spread there had nothing to do with air traffic. Similar could happen in other countries if they don't take the right measures. Why do you think I praise places like El Salvador?

I am not sure what your argument is here.

Are you arguing that countries looking to limit the spread of an infectious disease wouldn't want to limit air traffic from a country that's suffering from an outbreak? Because you mentioned that Europe and the USA have it worse because of leadership, complacency and air traffic... wouldn't you want a South American country to focus on limiting the number of potentially infected people coming into the country. I don't think poor leadership and complacency have only been issues in Europe or the US either - I think that most world governments have let the human race down in handling this.

Yes, the virus spreads if there's un-isolated members of the public. But it'll also spread quicker if you add more infected people into the country's population, even if you isolate infected people who are already there. The idea right now is for people to slow the spread of the infection, so we don't all see what we've seen in Italy where you've got a big spike in the number of cases that overwhelms hospitals. This is the whole idea of "flattening the curve" that you might keep hearing about if you've been keeping up with the story.

I also don't get how you get the conclusion that the virus coming from China had nothing to do with air traffic. It happened right before their biggest travel season, the Lunar New Year, which meant most of China (and Asia, tbh) was traveling. And as that holiday got extended, some people traveled all around the fucking world with the virus.

I think it's a bit silly to be praising or criticising El Salvador's response. Yeah, they've managed to impose curfews pretty quickly. They've also managed to piss off neighbors like Mexico by accusing Mexico of trying to send coronavirus their way. Which when you've got a global crisis that's probably going to take the world working together to really address properly, maybe worsening ties with your neighbor isn't the greatest fucking idea.

9 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I'm going to go the opposite way and say the outbreak in China wasn't taken seriously in much of the west because they are thought of as alien due to being racially and culturally different. 

However Italy closed their borders to the whole of China well before they had an outbreak of their own. They were the first western country to do so. 

But China were trying to hide it from the world at first mate and they did the same with SARS, until cases appeared in Hong Kong. 

It's a serious matter and the world needs to know immediately, especially when you consider the time of year it was aswell. 

I'm not blaming the whole population of China for the record. But their government and the way their country operates is dangerous. 

We are all fucked now either way. Spain are probably going to be hit even worse than Italy  by the end of it and if people don't start taking it seriously over here then we will end up in the same boat, as being English doesn't make us any more invincible than the next man.

Honestly I don't even want to work now but have no choice until the site actually closes. 

On the site I'm on, there are people from Lancaster, Morecambe, Preston, Wigan, Blackburn, Liverpool, Hull, Scarborough and Stoke. That's how shit spreads. Stopping movement between towns at this point is as important as stopping it between countries.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

27 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

13 cases now on the Isle of Man. None receiving hospital treatment yet thankfully but still an uncomfortable rise from 0 on Thursday.

There's been cases in Lancaster now as well.

Small city(which would be regarded as a big town if it didn't have a Cathedral) and one of those where you know everyone(apart from students as they come and go of course), so one person getting it could mean half of a city getting it very easily.

• Subscriber

Did Downing Street do a presser today? Even the most loyal of Johnson's press cheerleaders are starting to ask questions today. It's a horrible situation for any world leader but if he stutters through too many more loops of "please follow the advice" while the country continues to ignore him it becomes increasingly difficult not to calm him weak as piss.

Obviously I hope that doesn't prove to be the case.

McDonald's announces closures, so what do people do? 

Why queue up for one last Big Mac of course. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-mcdonalds-fans-queue-one-21739215.amp

Also, three teens have been held by police for coughing in an elderly couple's face. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52003543

Yet again, more proof that society has well and truly failed, but this will be placed on the UK Government's doorstep. 

• Confused 1

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Did Downing Street do a presser today? Even the most loyal of Johnson's press cheerleaders are starting to ask questions today. It's a horrible situation for any world leader but if he stutters through too many more loops of "please follow the advice" while the country continues to ignore him it becomes increasingly difficult not to calm him weak as piss.

Obviously I hope that doesn't prove to be the case.

They're having a COBRA meeting and daily press conference/update thing is scheduled for later.

11 hours ago, IgnisExcubitor said:

They have gone a step further. Their media houses are pushing the blame on US army or even Italy as the source of virus.

Honestly, we need to be careful here though as once this virus is over, we may see a war and the last thing we want is for a war to break out between countries such as the USA and China.

I've always thought that there was something very eerie about the number "2020".

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

I've always thought that there was something very eerie about the number "2020".

Cor with that kind of vision did you not see this happening :ph34r:?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

13 cases now on the Isle of Man. None receiving hospital treatment yet thankfully but still an uncomfortable rise from 0 on Thursday.

It's strange really. Couldn't they have sealed the borders? Or isn't that possible being part of Britain?

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Gunnersauraus said:

It's strange really. Couldn't they have sealed the borders? Or isn't that possible being part of Britain?

We have now. Only Manx residents returning can enter along with individuals brought over considered absolutely essential to keep the island going whatever that means.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Germany is set to take in some Italian patients from Lombardy for treatment.

The European Union will send €20 million in humanitarian aid to Iran.

Booooooooo Europe. Yaaaaaaay sovereignty.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nudge said:

Germany is set to take in some Italian patients from Lombardy for treatment.

The European Union will send €20 million in humanitarian aid to Iran.

I read they've already taken some from France as well. Others are struggling to have beds for everyone and Germany are offering them despite having so many cases. How do they do it?

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

But China were trying to hide it from the world at first mate and they did the same with SARS, until cases appeared in Hong Kong. 

It's a serious matter and the world needs to know immediately, especially when you consider the time of year it was aswell. 

I'm not blaming the whole population of China for the record. But their government and the way their country operates is dangerous. 

Once we knew about it we did very little so it doesn't matter a great deal when we found out. We could have done more, we didn't take it seriously.

China were building an entire hospital in a week and still westerners were going around saying the flu is worse.

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Machado said:

I read they've already taken some from France as well. Others are struggling to have beds for everyone and Germany are offering them despite having so many cases. How do they do it?

More ICU beds than anywhere else in the EU (click to enlarge).

lIGsSPZ.png

Why Germany has fewer serious/critical cases is unclear. I like to think it's all because of beer :ph34r: