talkfootball365

Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

nudge

Probably has something to do with the way the scum Press reacts to males and they seem scared to give the same to females - thus making it easier for them to concentrate on real problems rather than trying to watch their and their colleagues backs.  I have never been politically branded, but Angela has always seemed to be ahead of most of the present idiots and the Scottish Press TV each day is a much easier watch than Boris and gang trying to avoid all question with answers to something else not even mentioned.  As for Gove.......:censored:

1 hour ago, Carnivore Chris said:

28282106-8309721-image-a-23_158924789163

The best leader right now. She's brilliant.

Was massively refreshing living in New Zealand with her as PM as opposed to here and having Cameron, May and now Johnson.

She does have her critics and they generally fall into the angry right wing category but overall everyone seemed to love her and she deals with issues with a personal approach that actually shows she cares about the people’s she’s serving 

What is Boris'/government's obsession with making announcements or letting press know things on a Thursday, when the plans themselves don't come in to force until the Monday?

It just paves the way for temptation to strike and the public to do what they're not allowed to before Monday, made even worse given we're in the middle of a spate of great weather and beaches/parks have already been packed out over past few weeks anyway?

Do they let media know in advance, on purpose? From a cynical perspective, do they want public areas to be packed out so the attention is on that, as opposed to them the government? 

I just don't get why the announcement that restrictions are easing can't be made on a Sunday evening or even Monday itself? Why a Thursday evening?

• Upvote 1

Just to try and tie this one up a bit for the moment I was never a great fan of Thatcher, but just consider what she would have made of Cummings, Gove and Johnson and what she would have called the resultant soup! perhaps Crème De La Faussete

3 hours ago, Stan said:

What is Boris'/government's obsession with making announcements or letting press know things on a Thursday, when the plans themselves don't come in to force until the Monday?

It just paves the way for temptation to strike and the public to do what they're not allowed to before Monday, made even worse given we're in the middle of a spate of great weather and beaches/parks have already been packed out over past few weeks anyway?

Do they let media know in advance, on purpose? From a cynical perspective, do they want public areas to be packed out so the attention is on that, as opposed to them the government? 

I just don't get why the announcement that restrictions are easing can't be made on a Sunday evening or even Monday itself? Why a Thursday evening?

Great questions. Would love to know the thinking behind it. 

Speculating but could be for business purposes. Could be to see if there is a spike in new cases before the rule day. Majority will stick to rule day.

Could be because they're so excited to have come up with a new idea they can't hold it in :4_joy:

1 minute ago, Harvsky said:

Speculating but could be for business purposes.

Could be that... didn't they do the 'Those that can work' can go back starting Monday and they announced that on a Sunday giving businesses a little over 12 hours notice which was clearly not enough time for them to prepare properly?? Maybe they got a lot of negative feedback for that so doing it Thursday allows a little more flexibility in preparing.. 

I'm sure they have to have a fairly significant time lag so that police can be informed and briefed of what they need to do and it gives people time to see the news, digest the changes and a clear deadline for the change of rules. Can you imagine if they announced it on Monday 5pm, as of right now you can visit your grandparents, you drive round for a barbecue in their back yard half an hour later, their neighbours who haven't seen the news might then report a gathering next door. Police who started shift at 3pm come round not being fully aware of new rules and procedures and confront you for doing something you've just seen the government announce is fine on national television.

The timing has been unfortunate as it's not the first time we've been told "it's now okay to do this stuff but please don't do it this weekend even though we've said it's fine and the weather's going to be fucking great". I think that's potentially linked to the review of the lockdown that happens every three weeks on the same day, which itself depends on when we went into lockdown, that's just happened by circumstance if I'm right. It does seem more sensible if they could announce it on Wednesday and say the rules change at 5pm on Friday or whatever.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Can someone remind me how long Italy were in lockdown please? 

I have it in my head as two months but can't remember. 

Certain towns in Lombardy were in lockdown in the end of February, nationwide lockdown officially started on March 9th.

8 minutes ago, nudge said:

Certain towns in Lombardy were in lockdown in the end of February, nationwide lockdown officially started on March 9th.

Are they still in lockdown now or have restrictions eased to the point of being able to go out etc.?

I've lost track on other countries a bit in regards to who's still in lockdown, who can do things etc. 

13 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Are they still in lockdown now or have restrictions eased to the point of being able to go out etc.?

I've lost track on other countries a bit in regards to who's still in lockdown, who can do things etc. 

They started easing it out in the beginning of May, people are definitely able to go out and the bars/restaurants are allowed to reopen, as much as I'm aware. 

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

They started easing it out in the beginning of May, people are definitely able to go out and the bars/restaurants are allowed to reopen, as much as I'm aware. 

So roughly about the two months I mentioned before? 

Sorry about the constant questions but as Italy was considered the centre of the pandemic in Europe, I want to get a simple bit of background before I provide a response in here. 

2 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

So roughly about the two months I mentioned before? 

Sorry about the constant questions but as Italy was considered the centre of the pandemic in Europe, I want to get a simple bit of background before I provide a response in here. 

Yes, sounds about right. Two months of "hard" lockdown and then started gradually removing restrictions. I think they're about to remove the travel ban between provinces too. 

2 minutes ago, Harvsky said:

One dissenter within SAGE briefing the media that lockdown relaxation at this current point is a political decision and not a scientific one. 

Quite a few advisers within SAGE saying so.