talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

But every time I get a cold or flu, it's off someone at work. You can't social distance and even if you do, it just seems to circulate easier in a dusty environment for me. An example was the week in Jan after Christmas, my mate from Cumbria was ill, he passed it to a Scouser, who passed it to me when having my dinners in his van. I went to a new job the week after, felt ill as fuck, the next minute, 3 lads from Blackburn, 2 from Hull and 2 from Stoke had it and everyone were coughing for 2 weeks. Now, all these then take it back to the cities or towns they come from and there's another example in how an illness is spread. 

My old man's 56 and getting overweight as you do at that age. He'll have to travel all the way down South as of next week and stay down there doing non essential work, leaving my mother at home alone where she will be panicking 24/7. 

I don't give a shit about myself(other than principal) as it'll actually be nice to keep busy and be out in the fresh air more, but people I care about will be at high risk doing a job that isn't essential right now. 

And this is precisely why you don't have meetings of 3-5 people and why the advise is to stay at home, not meet up for gatherings etc...

34 minutes ago, Stan said:

And this is precisely why you don't have meetings of 3-5 people and why the advise is to stay at home, not meet up for gatherings etc...

Ye but my point was that you're doing exactly that at work and it's the same thing.

I'm.not saying I'm going to have get togethers, just that it's the same and the likes of most building sites should probably remain shut. 

Sadiq Kahn was right where he claims they should be shut. He's worked on sites before as a young lad labouring and knows how hard it is to social distance while still being able to carry out the job.

I bet there will be a huge lack of masks on site aswell and health and safety regulations state that all sites should provide dust masks, gloves, ear defenders and eye protection. Also manual handling becomes difficult. 

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Ye but my point was that you're doing exactly that at work and it's the same thing.

I'm.not saying I'm going to have get togethers, just that it's the same and the likes of most building sites should probably remain shut. 

Sadiq Kahn was right where he claims they should be shut. He's worked on sites before as a young lad labouring and knows how hard it is to social distance while being able to carry out the job.

I bet there will be a huge lack of masks on site aswell and health and safety state that all sites should provide dust masks, gloves, ear defenders and eye protection.

Ahh I see, got crossed wires on your post earlier then. I agree about the sites!

To be fair I don't mind going back now when I work.out how much I could save but people having to travel to the other side of the country to stay in digs is wrong. People on sites don't go by rules either and there will be people grouping up as always. 

One benefit from social distancing could be having to stay 2 meters from everyone when on an aircraft. One can dream xD

• Subscriber

Coronavirus UK map: How many confirmed cases are there in your area?

4 May 2020

There are now more than 190,000 confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK and 28,734 people with the virus have died.

The actual number of cases is estimated to be higher. Until recently it was mostly those in hospital and some NHS and care staff who were being tested - but the testing programme has now been extended.

The following charts and graphics will help you understand the situation in the UK and how the authorities are responding.

_112110474_deaths_and_cases_04_05-nc.png

FULL REPORT

4 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I didn't dismiss anything. Accidents happen. You're being dumb again. Almost 29000 people have died of C19 in the last few months in the uk compared to 1700 people dying on English roads in accidents per year. They're incomparable.

The idea of "You should drive short distances to reduce the risk of traffic accidents to reduce the stress on the NHS" is fucking bonkers convoluted garbage. 

You lost me at ‘you’re being dumb again’.

You just compared road deaths, not accidents. There’s at least 25,000 severe casualties per year resulting in operations, xrays, after care etc, and that pales in comparison to to the 160,000 accidents per year that aren’t serious, yet require treatment of some form and police intervention. But yeah, cling onto that 1700 stat 9_9

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

4 May 2020

There are now more than 190,000 confirmed coronavirus cases in the UK and 28,734 people with the virus have died.

The actual number of cases is estimated to be higher. Until recently it was mostly those in hospital and some NHS and care staff who were being tested - but the testing programme has now been extended.

The following charts and graphics will help you understand the situation in the UK and how the authorities are responding.

FULL REPORT

That's yesterday's news mate. 32,375 deaths now according to reports.

We are the most affected country in Europe now in terms of deaths.

Edited by Carnivore Chris

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

That's yesterday's news mate. 32,375 deaths now according to reports.

I know buddy that's why I put the 4th May below the title, sometimes some people lose track of the situation and might want to read again, I never saw that yesterday. :D 

• Haha 1

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

You lost me at ‘you’re being dumb again’.

You just compared road deaths, not accidents. There’s at least 25,000 severe casualties per year resulting in operations, xrays, after care etc, and that pales in comparison to to the 160,000 accidents per year that aren’t serious, yet require treatment of some form and police intervention. But yeah, cling onto that 1700 stat 9_9

It's not even just that. It's not just about the reduction of traffic. It's the 'holier than thou' attitude of being told to 'stay at home' but thinking they're better than everyone else for travelling 200 miles for some fucking fish and chips. I love the dish. To travel that far though, knowing it isn't and never would be any kind of essential reason to travel. That's what is fucking dumb. 

California’s beginning “phase 2” of the lockdown  (there’s 4 phases of “reopening”) on Friday. So more retail businesses will be opening up, but with social distancing rules in place.

I will probably continue to stay home though until my office reopens.

5 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

4 May 2020

FULL REPORT

On the basis of an infection mortality rate is in the ball park of 1% compared to that figure of 15% implied in your data or would be with assuming the actual case numbers being 10 to 20 times higher than the 200k.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

California’s beginning “phase 2” of the lockdown  (there’s 4 phases of “reopening”) on Friday. So more retail businesses will be opening up, but with social distancing rules in place.

I will probably continue to stay home though until my office reopens.

All the best with that. Sounds like a level of restriction similar to where we are now. I've continued to buy some take away coffee and good from my local businesses, particularly the ones I want to make sure survive through this period.

30 minutes ago, Harry said:

All the best with that. Sounds like a level of restriction similar to where we are now. I've continued to buy some take away coffee and good from my local businesses, particularly the ones I want to make sure survive through this period.

The local businesses I want to support aren't open even right now, except for some food places that are still offering takeaway/delivery. And the brewery that's about a 5 minute walk away has seen me drive up and fill boot up with as much beer as I can put in it many times over the past few weeks. But I'm looking forward to other places reopening - although it looks like stores will limit the number of people that can come in and are being urged to allow for curbside pickup whenever possible.

But thanks mate, I think it'll go okay - at least around me. Other than one beach in San Diego having shitloads of activity for one day before more policing was put in effect after beaches re-opened (unlike the ridiculousness at beaches in Orange County about an hour north of me), the city's been pretty good about maintaining social distancing. Although like all big American cities, we've had some people from the rural parts of the county come to the city centre for their anti-lockdown bullshit... but that's literally happening everywhere. I think it's something like over 80% of San Diegans are taking the stay at home orders seriously.

And if we see a big spike in cases, the state's meant to go back to Phase 1 of the 4 part plan. I'm not sure what the other phases are after this new phase. But I'm fortunate to be in a state where a governor acted quickly and has a plan, and our state isn't as badly affected as many other states (per capita) so we can sort of move forward a bit more safely than say... Georgia and Texas reopening this weekend as those states saw a spike in cases.

Even when some retailers come back, for the most part the lockdown will still be in place for most people in California. Everyone's told to work from home if they can, so I'll still be working from home like I have been for the past... 6 or 7 weeks now. You're still not meant to be leaving the house unless it's for exercise or it's absolutely necessary - but you've got to maintain social distancing and have a mask on if you want to go outside.

The big issue is as each state is just a part of the nation as a whole, the lack of a unified national response means I don't think the US will really get a good handle on this any time soon, regardless of how any individual governor may be doing/not doing.

• Administrator

Not the first, won't be the last!! Wasn't it the Scottish chief health person who went to her 2nd home a few times and got sacked?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/

The scientist whose advice prompted Boris Johnson to lock down Britain resigned from his Government advisory position on Tuesday night as The Telegraph can reveal he broke social distancing rules to meet his married lover.

Professor Neil Ferguson allowed the woman to visit him at home during the lockdown while lecturing the public on the need for strict social distancing in order to reduce the spread of coronavirus. The woman lives with her husband and their children in another house.

The epidemiologist leads the team at Imperial College London that produced the computer-modelled research that led to the national lockdown, which claimed that more than 500,000 Britons would die without the measures.

Prof Ferguson has frequently appeared in the media to support the lockdown and praised the "very intensive social distancing" measures.

The revelation of the "illegal" trysts will infuriate millions of couples living apart and banned by the Government from meeting up during the lockdown, which is now in its seventh week.

On at least two occasions, Antonia Staats, 38, travelled across London from her home in the south of the capital to spend time with the Government scientist, nicknamed Professor Lockdown.

The 51-year-old had only just finished a two-week spell self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus.

Prof Ferguson told the Telegraph: "I accept I made an error of judgment and took the wrong course of action. I have therefore stepped back from my involvement in Sage [the government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies].

"I acted in the belief that I was immune, having tested positive for coronavirus, and completely isolated myself for almost two weeks after developing symptoms.

"I deeply regret any undermining of the clear messages around the continued need for social distancing to control this devastating epidemic. The Government guidance is unequivocal, and is there to protect all of us."

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Not the first, won't be the last!! Wasn't it the Scottish chief health person who went to her 2nd home a few times and got sacked?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/

Amazing. Simply amazing. 

These are the people who are providing the critical advice, to tell us to 'stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives' on a regular basis, only for them to break their own advice and go on a jolly trip. The fact that this is the second 'chief' to resign is staggering and backs up @nudge's article from before about our arrogance. 

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Amazing. Simply amazing. 

These are the people who are providing the critical advice, to tell us to 'stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives' on a regular basis, only for them to break their own advice and go on a jolly trip. The fact that this is the second 'chief' to resign is staggering and backs up @nudge's article from before about our arrogance. 

Yeah think it's been mentioned a few times since UK locked down. Pathetic, really. And these are meant to be professionals setting examples. Shameful behaviour.

3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The local businesses I want to support aren't open even right now, except for some food places that are still offering takeaway/delivery. And the brewery that's about a 5 minute walk away has seen me drive up and fill boot up with as much beer as I can put in it many times over the past few weeks. But I'm looking forward to other places reopening - although it looks like stores will limit the number of people that can come in and are being urged to allow for curbside pickup whenever possible.

But thanks mate, I think it'll go okay - at least around me. Other than one beach in San Diego having shitloads of activity for one day before more policing was put in effect after beaches re-opened (unlike the ridiculousness at beaches in Orange County about an hour north of me), the city's been pretty good about maintaining social distancing. Although like all big American cities, we've had some people from the rural parts of the county come to the city centre for their anti-lockdown bullshit... but that's literally happening everywhere. I think it's something like over 80% of San Diegans are taking the stay at home orders seriously.

And if we see a big spike in cases, the state's meant to go back to Phase 1 of the 4 part plan. I'm not sure what the other phases are after this new phase. But I'm fortunate to be in a state where a governor acted quickly and has a plan, and our state isn't as badly affected as many other states (per capita) so we can sort of move forward a bit more safely than say... Georgia and Texas reopening this weekend as those states saw a spike in cases.

Even when some retailers come back, for the most part the lockdown will still be in place for most people in California. Everyone's told to work from home if they can, so I'll still be working from home like I have been for the past... 6 or 7 weeks now. You're still not meant to be leaving the house unless it's for exercise or it's absolutely necessary - but you've got to maintain social distancing and have a mask on if you want to go outside.

The big issue is as each state is just a part of the nation as a whole, the lack of a unified national response means I don't think the US will really get a good handle on this any time soon, regardless of how any individual governor may be doing/not doing.

We didn't jump into a lockdown here, we implemented restrictions in stages. I'm hoping we will loosen them using those same stages. So next up for us if we went from stage 3 back to stage 2 would be schools going back, and restaurants allowed to have dine in again albeit with restrictions on the number of heads per square metre from what would be the normal level and minimum spacing between tables.

America does seem very impatient on the whole. You just hope each governor is responsible about the way they lift things and appropriately prioritise things to open up.