Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

Latest official update:

lxgyNEG.png

1287 confirmed cases in China.
41 fatalities.
38 recoveries.

The first international human-to-human transmission has been recorded in Vietnam.
First cases (3 confirmed now) in Europe (France).
In total 20 cases outside of China (at least 8 countries) confirmed as of now.

Work on a vaccine is starting.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

How in fucks name do they do things like this? We can’t build a 10 bed inpatient unit in 3 years xD

Prefabricated building elements + manpower. Those buildings aren't meant to stand forever. They built a similar one during the SARS outbreak and then demolished it a few years later. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

News from this neck of the woods, two of the hospitals used were ones I have been in, The Royal Infirmary & The Western.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

"BBC Scotland understands that one of those tested in Edinburgh was a Chinese student who had become unwell after visiting family in Wuhan.

He was believed to have first been in the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary before being transferred to the Western, where the Regional Infectious Diseases Unit is located.

It is not known where the other patients were being treated."

Quote.thumb.png.befaf7124b7ea9c532ab9ac376a5eac8.png

China coronavirus: Two tested in Scotland given all-clear

Two of the five people people being tested for coronavirus in Scotland have been given the all-clear.

The chief medical officer for England said on Friday that 14 people tested in the UK had been found to be free of the virus.

The Scottish government said this included two of the Scottish cases.

The three other patients being treated in Scotland are awaiting test results. Four out of the five are Chinese nationals.

All of those tested had recently visited Wuhan where the outbreak originated. Checks are ongoing on other people.

FULL REPORT

• Subscriber

At least 17 Chinese cities on a lockdown with around 30 provinces having issued the highest emergency response ranking possible, which enables measures including quarantines; affecting over 50 million people. Many popular tourist spots including parts of the Great Wall and the Disneyland closed for public; as well as cinemas and many restaurants. Beijing has suspended all inter-province travel. Hong Kong also raised their response from "serious" to "emergency" and closed the schools (extended the holidays for another two weeks). US are temporary closing its consulate and chartering a flight to evacuate its citizens and diplomats from Wuhan. China's president publicly warned of the "grave public health situation" saying the virus was accelerating its speed.

More than 10 other countries outside China are affected now with 4 first cases confirmed in Australia and 3 first cases in Malaysia last night. New cases in Thailand.

11 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

How in fucks name do they do things like this? We can’t build a 10 bed inpatient unit in 3 years xD

Lack of restrictive legislation etc, over hear you have to go through so much red tape speak to the land owner, address the local community etc. 

It sounds great but they probably bulldozed 50 people’s homes to crack on zero fucks given. Plus nick knowles and Billy the sparky are flying out to film a Wuhan special 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

It sounds great but they probably bulldozed 50 people’s homes to crack on zero fucks given. Plus nick knowles and Billy the sparky are flying out to film a Wuhan special 

I actually did a wet room design for the show once. They actually don’t give two fucks about planning permission when they throw these extensions on xD

• Subscriber

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/25/coronavirus-academic-had-no-official-contact-on-return-from-china

Considering the fact that this gentleman worked in Wuhan and has just gotten back why wouldn't anyone want to contact him immediately? 

Edit: Also hearing Canada has reported its first case?

Edited by Mel81x

• Subscriber

Latest official update:

2049 confirmed cases in China. 56 deaths, 49 recoveries.

Transmission channels: not fully grasped, human-to-human transmission, medical staff infection, and community transmission in a certain range

Susceptible population: temporarily unknown, the virus may be mutated

Incubation period: 1 to 14 days, average 10 days, contagious during incubation period

• Administrator
23 hours ago, CaaC (John) said:

News from this neck of the woods, two of the hospitals used were ones I have been in, The Royal Infirmary & The Western

Yeah but not recently I'd say, right xD

Odd when people say stuff like that - something could happen in a city like a terrorist attack. Someone then says 'oh no I was there last year too' 

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Odd when people say stuff like that - something could happen in a city like a terrorist attack. Someone then says 'oh no I was there last year too'

Not really, especially at my age, things like that can trigger a thought in the back of your mind and you think thank fuck it never happened last year when I was there.  

• Administrator
1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not really, especially at my age, things like that can trigger a thought in the back of your mind and you think thank fuck it never happened last year when I was there.  

Of course. But that can literally be the case for wherever you go, no? 

I'm aware I'm coming across like a cunt right now. Just think it's odd to think like that. 

• Subscriber

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Of course. But that can literally be the case for wherever you go, no? 

I'm aware I'm coming across like a cunt right now. Just think it's odd to think like that. 

Err, no your not, it's good to have conversations like this and air your thoughts, that what TF is all about and that's why I like posting in here, it's like if someone mentions Dortmund I straight away think about my army days before I got married in Germany, I got pissed as a newt one night and climbed the battery flagpole in the drill square for a bet, got to the top, waved to the guy below that he owed me a pint as I completed the bet.

Then the flagpole bent and snapped and I fell to the parade square below and ended up in the hospital for six months with a fractured skull, broken jaw in 3 places, I broke my wrist and ankle, but the good thing about that was that's where I met the wife as she was working there and now we have been married for 40 odd years... ouch to all that xD 

• Subscriber

Latest update:

2762 confirmed cases in China.
5794 suspected cases.
80 deaths.
51 recoveries.

The number of confirmed/suspected cases and deaths is still growing exponentially.

h3m6z7njr7d41.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

fh0e88tq38d41.png?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Outside of China:

CJxgU08.png

So I'm pretty lucky that I've managed to miss out going to China two weeks ago, and my coworker who went in my place came back on Friday. No clue if he's infected, but he's been allowed to work from home - which if he's not been infected is a pretty sweet deal for him. Although if he's infected, that's pretty shit for him.

• The title was changed to Deadly Virus Outbreak (Coronavirus) in China