talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak

football forum

• Subscriber

570+ officially confirmed cases and 17 fatalities.  Has already spread to at least six countries, including the US, Japan, South Korea, Thailand. 

5e28745e24306a0b1570b652?width=700&forma

The virus has originated in Wuhan, capital of Hubei province, reportedly from a local wildlife market (most likely from bats and snakes). The virus strain is in the same family as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS). It has reportedly mutated and can be transmitted from human to human. China has put the Wuhan and two other cities (Huanggang and Ezhou) under lockdown, all forms of public transport are suspended under further notice, main highways are being shut down, people are urged to avoid crowds and large gatherings, and face masks are mandatory. There are fears of the virus spreading more rapidly with the Lunar New Year approaching, which means hundreds of millions people traveling all over the world. 

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Need to make exhaustive checks to all the people travelling to those areas and going back to their countries to avoid a pandemic.

Airport health checks are already being carried out in numerous countries; the problem is the incubation period. It is said to be around 3-12 days in case of this new coronavirus although that's just an estimated guess. The actual incubation period as well as the transmission mechanism  is not yet known and has been approximated with the estimates obtained for MERS and SARS... So that basically means that infected people without an onset of symptoms are pretty much impossible to be identified via simple screening. Not to mention that even people with symptoms such as fever can easily pass those airport checks. In fact a woman from Wuhan just did it in order to enter France and even boasted about it on social media... so now there's a suspected case in France as well.

WHO will decided today on declaring a global health emergency.

It's also worth noting that the actual number of cases is likely under-reported and the virus is already spread much more than we think it is.

• Subscriber

Latest official updates from China:

ovh2wycujgc41.jpg?width=1125&format=pjpg

Data statistics as of 2020-01-23 12:02

Nationwide: 585 cases confirmed, 392 suspected, 28 cases cured, 17 deaths (of which 10 cases have not been identified for the time being)

Source of infection: Not known, but may come from snakes or bats

Virus: New Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Transmission channels: Not fully grasped, human-to-human transmission, medical staff infection, and community transmission to a certain extent

Does the virus mutate: it is possible

Whether the epidemic has spread: yes

Source: https://3g.dxy.cn/newh5/view/pneumonia

10 minutes ago, nudge said:

Airport health checks are already being carried out in numerous countries; the problem is the incubation period. It is said to be around 3-12 days in case of this new coronavirus although that's just an estimated guess. The actual incubation period as well as the transmission mechanism  is not yet known and has been approximated with the estimates obtained for MERS and SARS... So that basically means that infected people without an onset of symptoms are pretty much impossible to be identified via simple screening. Not to mention that even people with symptoms such as fever can easily pass those airport checks. In fact a woman from Wuhan just did it in order to enter France and even boasted about it on social media... so now there's a suspected case in France as well.

WHO will decided today on declaring a global health emergency.

It's also worth noting that the actual number of cases is likely under-reported and the virus is already spread much more than we think it is.

Well in that case i'm sorry for that people but anyone who has travelled to areas at risk recently has to be quarantined until fully clear, it may be harsh on them but the consequences could be much worse.

Edited by Berserker

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Well in that case i'm sorry for that people but anyone who has travelled to those countries recently has to be quarentined until fully clear, it may be harsh on them but the consequences could be much worse.

I get what you're saying but with the number of people travelling daily that's pretty much impossible I think...

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

I get what you're saying but with the number of people travelling daily that's pretty much impossible I think...

Yeah, it'd be pretty difficult, mainly in the US, Western Europe, Oceania and Asia, but a start should be prohibiting flights and cruises specially to China for the time being. They would have to use huge spaces and something like medical tents seen on horror movies.

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Berserker said:

Yeah, it'd be pretty difficult, mainly in the US, Western Europe, Oceania and Asia, but a start should be prohibiting flights and cruises specially to China for the time being. They would have to use huge spaces and something like medical tents seen on horror movies.

Already happening in China apparently! :o 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, nudge said:

That's is the closest I have ever been to China is Singapore many moons ago, glad I am not near that part of the world now.  

• Subscriber
19 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I worry a bit now about Australia as I have family out there and they do get a lot of Asian visitors or emigrants arriving. 

I have friends/people I care about in SE Asia so I'm getting a bit worried. I also want to go back there in the next few months so I hope the situation doesn't get worse.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nudge said:

I have friends/people I care about in SE Asia so I'm getting a bit worried. I also want to go back there in the next few months so I hope the situation doesn't get worse.

Why? It's affecting what, 0.0001% of the population? Even in those it does it's mostly a cough and a sniffle, it is dangerous for the elderly and young, like any flu.

Anyway, we're due a massive pandemic. Possibly wipe us all out? Be good for every other living thing.

• Like 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Why? It's affecting what, 0.0001% of the population? Even in those it does it's mostly a cough and a sniffle, it is dangerous for the elderly and young, like any flu.

Maybe the people she cares about are elderly and young?!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Deadly Virus Outbreak (Coronavirus) in China