• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would you rather...Football Version

football forum

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Absolutely I would rather have the 10 years of Premier League football at mid table level. Got to be better than the sinking and deflating feeling of being relegated.

Cannot agree at all. Rather win something than ten years of absolute nothingness. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Cannot agree at all. Rather win something than ten years of absolute nothingness. 

What about the relegation part though? Yes, the Champions League is fantastic and winning it would be incredible but can't understand why someone would want to see their team get relegated?

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I would rather win something every year than just end up spending something like 11 years at a club and win nowt without being relegated, David Moyes fits that category, all that time at Everton (2002-2013) and won nothing.

But why would you WANT to be relegated just because you're mid table every year for 10 years? That's just stupid.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

But why would you WANT to be relegated just because you're mid table every year for 10 years? That's just stupid.

I didn't say I wanted to be relegated?

12 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I would rather win something every year than just end up spending something like 11 years at a club and win nowt without being relegated

Everton was never relegated. :hh:

• Subscriber

Well if you won the CL then your team has something about it that could be salvaged to make a comeback to the league anyways. So, I'd take the CL victory because that is some silverware (not just any silverware either) versus just hanging around looking up all the time wondering when its your turn.

Having said that I think a lot of clubs would take option #2 just because its steady monetary income with a chance to get better so I wouldn't really discount anyone saying that they would pick the 10yr period if it brought some monetary stability to a club and allowed them to get better in the process. 

• Subscriber
49 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Like the standard one but football related. 

Would you rather win the Champions League and get relegated domestically that same season or win nothing and be guaranteed Premier League football for ten years but finish mid-table every year?

The first one. I may be biased by the fact that I've already had the second part as a fan for 20 years, let alone 10.

• Subscriber

Also what's the point of being in the Premier League anyway? Every team is trying to get to the top. You might not mention it necessarily and it might be completely unrealistic but all the way through the pyramid, you want to get from League 2 to League 1 so that you can try and get into the Championship and then the Premier League.

The point of staying in the Premier League has to eventually be to try and win it, and then win the European Cup. From a fan's point of view this should be a no brainer.

However, you can't deny that from the point of view of people running football clubs as a business that there's a lot more to it than what I've said.

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Well if you won the CL then your team has something about it that could be salvaged to make a comeback to the league anyways. So, I'd take the CL victory because that is some silverware (not just any silverware either) versus just hanging around looking up all the time wondering when its your turn.

Having said that I think a lot of clubs would take option #2 just because its steady monetary income with a chance to get better so I wouldn't really discount anyone saying that they would pick the 10yr period if it brought some monetary stability to a club and allowed them to get better in the process. 

I think that's perhaps why I disagree with the Champions League option. I support Grimsby Town, not a big name Premier League club so my outlook on success is different. I think about the collapse of Grimsby from the old Division One to where we are now and it was all down to ITV Digital and loss of funds, so to be midtable in the Premier League and be able to stay there and be financially stable would be a dream for many a Grimsby fan.

1 hour ago, Pyfish said:

What about the relegation part though? Yes, the Champions League is fantastic and winning it would be incredible but can't understand why someone would want to see their team get relegated?

I don’t think it’s a case of wanting to get relegated but given the choice of tangible success or consolidation, I’d have to go for tangible success. No one remembers the year’s you come 14th, but winning the Champions League, that’s permanent and in most cases, it would be the club’s first European trophy and first trophy of that magnitude and I’d choose that any day. 

From a business point of view, I get why clubs would want survival but from a fans point of view, surely it matters little what level your team is at? 

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

I don’t think it’s a case of wanting to get relegated but given the choice of tangible success or consolidation, I’d have to go for tangible success. No one remembers the year’s you come 14th, but winning the Champions League, that’s permanent and in most cases, it would be the club’s first European trophy and first trophy of that magnitude and I’d choose that any day. 

From a business point of view, I get why clubs would want survival but from a fans point of view, surely it matters little what level your team is at? 

I can see your point with the first part :)

As for it not really mattering what level the team play at, I'd disagree. It's just standard to want your team to be playing at the highest level possible I guess. I'm not saying I'd be happy with mid table finishes in the Premier League every season for a decade but it would be a better situation than being good enough for winning the Champions League but getting relegated to the Championship.

• The title was changed to Would you rather...Football Version
  • Subscriber

Win the champions league, not even close.

I did however get fed up of this notion that we should've been happy to be relegated the season after we won the league for precisely that reason.

• Subscriber

If they make a decent looking statue of me after I have won the title in those four leagues I'll take option #1. But we all know some kid who cant draw a circle with a computer and artificial intelligence assistance is going to make said statue so I'll take option #2. 

• Subscriber

I'd take option 2 as well. To win 10 titles is amazing and doesn't mean it would all be with the same club. 

It would be good however to win those 4 titles throughout my career and it would prove it's not just that the one league is easy to win but winning the same title 10 times would be remembered more.

It all depends on the manner of it. 4 titles in 4 leagues over a ten or more year career likely means you've played for one of the top 2 or 3 clubs in each of the 4 biggest leagues.

So as a career it would look something like...

3 years at Man City or Liverpool

3 years at Barcelona or real Madrid

3 years at Bayern Munich or Dortmund

3 years at Juve or Napoli.

I'd take that option over winning ten titles in the same period with man City.

• Subscriber

I'd take the four titles across different countries personally. I'm struggling to possibly describe why though xD. Maybe it's why I prefer a journeyman save on Football Manager over hording a bunch of trophies at one club.

I would just want to prove myself in as many ways as possible if I was lucky enough to have the talent of a professional footballer.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I mean this guy has won it over the course of his career and yeah it is very impressive irrespective of what anyone thinks of the league he started in. Also, useless stat but he has won a trophy every year of his career since 2001? WTF. 

I think you could really call him a serial winner as he has been at that many clubs, you can just imagine if the likes of Messi or Ronaldo moved around in their careers instead of staying at a club for years, they would more than likely be serial winners.  

Archived