talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bundesliga Wants to Lower Minimum Age Limit

https://www.thelocal.de/20200123/sweet-16-how-germanys-bundesliga-wants-to-lower-minimum-age-limit

Sweet 16: How Germany's Bundesliga wants to lower minimum age limit

The German Football League (DFL) is proposing to lower the minimum age for players in the Bundesliga to 16 next season, with a decision expected at the end of March.

dce284087cb92fbaa116dfa7589c5ee6b3c0e35e

In order to currently play in Germany's top flight, players must be 18 years old or play for the club's Under-19 team, but the DFL are considering changing that, according to reports.

Turkey international Nuri Sahin holds the record, set in August 2005, when he made his league debut for Dortmund, just shy of his  17th birthday, aged 16 years, 335 days, while playing in the Under-19 team.

However, from next season other 16-year-olds could feature in the Bundesliga if the 36 clubs in the first and second league vote to lower the minium age at the next general meeting in March.

According to daily papers Bild and Welt, Dortmund back the proposal to lower the limit in the top two leagues.

They could benefit as teen prodigy Youssoufa Moukoko, who turns 16 in November, would be able to make his Bundesliga debut in 2020/21.

He scored a record 50 goals last season in the Under-17 league and made his debut for Germany Under-16 in September 2017, just before his 13th birthday, scoring three goals in four games.
Dortmund's youth coordinator Lars Ricken, who made his league debut in 1994 before his 18th birthday, argues that the current minimum age puts the German league clubs at "a major disadvantage".

"There are concrete examples of players who decided against joining Bundesliga clubs because they are allowed to play in professional teams at a much younger age in other countries," he said.

However, Julian Nagelsmann, head coach of current Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig, is against the proposal.

"If I put players in even earlier, they will be put under pressure even earlier and will also be eyed more by the media," said Nagelsmann.

The 32-year-old became the youngest head coach in Bundesliga history when, aged 28, he took charge of Hoffenheim in 2015.

"I am not a scientist and have not looked into it deeply, but I can not imagine that it is great for development if you become a Bundesliga player aged 16," he added.

• The title was changed to Bundesliga Wants to Lower Minimum Age Limit
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that it's a good idea that they are seeking to bring the age limit down. If a player is good enough, then they should play, regardless of their age. The Bundesliga as it is, does give a lot of opportunities for young players to play. So if there are talented 16 and 17 year olds out there good enough to play, then they should be given an opportunity to play, instead of having to wait until they are 18.

21 minutes ago, Michael said:

I think that it's a good idea that they are seeking to bring the age limit down. If a player is good enough, then they should play, regardless of their age. The Bundesliga as it is, does give a lot of opportunities for young players to play. So if there are talented 16 and 17 year olds out there good enough to play, then they should be given an opportunity to play, instead of having to wait until they are 18.

Whilst I agree on principle, I do see a slight issue with the German employment law:in Germany you reach majority at the age of 18, minors are not allowed to work after 8 pm or at weekends, If I'm not mistaken this was also the original reason for that age limit.

8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Whilst I agree on principle, I do see a slight issue with the German employment law:in Germany you reach majority at the age of 18, minors are not allowed to work after 8 pm or at weekends, If I'm not mistaken this was also the original reason for that age limit.

Hmmm, yeah, there does seem to be an issue there, I mean they are not going to play for free at 16 or 17. I am sure the DFL will have thought of everything before they come to a final conclusion as to what decision to make.

5 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Isn't there an exception for "entertainers" or something? I'm sure they'll find some sort of loophole eventually.

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Isn't there an exception for "entertainers" or something? I'm sure they'll find some sort of loophole eventually.

Yep, this exception for entertainers exist, the exact German wording is "Unterhaltungskünstler", though. They would have to justify, why football is a form of art rather than just a sport.

7 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Yep, this exception for entertainers exist, the exact German wording is "Unterhaltungskünstler", though. They would have to justify, why football is a form of art rather than just a sport.

A problem for Schalke then. 

In all seriousness it is a lot of pressure and attention for young and sometimes fragile lads. I guess they should have the right to a childhood.   

Archived