talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Fourth Round Matches - 24-27th January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By my reckoning, Liverpool’s first team have played 16 games (17, if you include the Villa Carabao Cup game) since 27th November. That’s a game every 3.75 days and will have included travel to the Middle East and mainland Europe. By the time Liverpool come to play Shrewsbury again, they’ll have played another two games. Is it any wonder then, that Klopp is not going to play any of his senior players?

All of this has been coming, though it seems that most people just were too clueless to foresee such events. Once the Premier League decided to carelessly introduce a “Winter Break”, it meant Premier League games had to be shoehorned into an already bursting football calendar, which resulted in teams playing three or four times over the Christmas period.

February, the shortest calendar month has Liverpool playing six games already, with another game in the week beginning 2nd March 2020, if they beat Shrewsbury, in a month which also includes a two week winter break. Even if they have the best equipment, training facilities, coaches and medical staff in the land, players will be, or very close to, running on empty.

Liverpool’s schedule has been exasperated by being successful. Win the Champions League and want to attempt to win a maiden Club World Cup? Nah, sorry lads, you’ve still got to play your game against Aston Villa in a competition named after a bloody energy drink. 

The whole “Winter Break” thing was a poorly thought out plan by the Premier League and it’s coming back to bite them now because team’s are fatigued at the beginning of a hugely important time of year for many. 

This all before you even throw in players playing for their countries and the upcoming Euros.

It's poor from Klopp. If they had won then this wouldn't have mattered, it is down to themselves why they have this extra game. 2-0 up and to draw is poor whoever is playing. 

Liverpool FC should do the right thing and adjust ticket prices so at least they get near enough a full gate and maximise the profit for Shrewsbury. You could see a half empty stadium if its full price. 

• Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.f6e4890c7fa430d127d0570ac52e2983.png

Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool's first team will miss FA Cup replay v Shrewsbury

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp and his first-team players will not be involved in the FA Cup fourth-round replay against Shrewsbury Town, the Reds manager has said.

The Premier League leaders surrendered a two-goal advantage against the League One side on Sunday after Klopp had made nine changes to the starting line-up.

At least four Premier League teams will need replays, which are scheduled for Tuesday 4 and Wednesday 5 February, meaning they will cut into the new mid-season break which runs between 2 and 16 February.

"I said to the boys already two weeks ago that we will have a winter break, which means we will not be there," said Klopp.

"You cannot deal with us like nobody cares about it. I know that it's not very popular but that's the way I see it.

"The Premier League asked us to respect the winter break. That's what we do. If the FA doesn't respect that, then we cannot change it. We will not be there."

Klopp said it "will be the kids who play" and also confirmed that reserve coach Neil Critchley, who took charge of the Carabao Cup quarter-final loss to Aston Villa in December while the first team were playing the World Club Cup, will again be in the dugout.

"We have to respect the players' welfare. They need a rest. They need a mental rest, a physical rest, and that's what the winter break is all about," said Klopp.

"We had to make these decisions beforehand because these boys have families."

FULL REPORT

This "They should've won if they didn't want the replay" stuff is quite poorly thought out isn't it. Yes, we should've won, and yes our failure to do so has got us here. But we also could've deliberately lost to avoid this situation, which would've been a lot easier. Is that the incentive you want to set?

My biggest problem with this is the disrespect to Shrewsbury. Klopp talks quite openly about his left wing politics, but this feels pretty damn elitist.

That said, if the players are entitled to a break, why not the manager?

3 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Liverpool FC should do the right thing and adjust ticket prices so at least they get near enough a full gate and maximise the profit for Shrewsbury. You could see a half empty stadium if its full price. 

Dropping prices might not be the best way to maximise revenue, but they should do the right thing by the fans anyway

4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Not when most season ticket holders and a lot of members (I think, could be wrong on the members part) are signed up to the auto cup scheme. They can basically charge what they want.

Controversial, I know, but I’d bin off two teams from the Premier League. Cuts the league down to 18 and loses four games off each side’s calendar a year, which could account for some of the ridiculous amount of games for Premier League sides between the weekend before Christmas and New Year.

It means games no longer have to be shoehorned in the calendar to account for a poorly thought out and equally poorly executed “Winter Break”. 

That and scrapping the League Cup, or at the very least, allowing sides who’ve qualified for Europe to not compete that season. 

Not that either will happen. 

11 minutes ago, Stan said:

Imagine my shock. 

Still don’t think it’s a big deal we’re binning it off now that we’ve got a replay. He’s got a choice, rest players or not rest players. He’s been wanting a break in the league since he’s come to England and we’ve got 6 matches in February, and we’ve just had injuries to Mane and Milner.

Once it was clear it was going to a replay, I’m sure he’d have preferred a player to just score an own goal - and that’s probably worse for the FA cup and Shrewsbury, who’re now going to get a bit more money from the replay and probably progress further in the FA cup.

I think there’s a lot of fake outrage because the media’s having a bit of a slow news cycle in football and there’s only so many times someone can come out on Sky Sports and day the same thing about Bruno Fernandes. So this is a way to drum up outrage to get some new headlines - for instance why is Accrington Stanley’s chairman weighing in on this?

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Still don’t think it’s a big deal we’re binning it off now that we’ve got a replay. He’s got a choice, rest players or not rest players. He’s been wanting a break in the league since he’s come to England and we’ve got 6 matches in February, and we’ve just had injuries to Mane and Milner.

Once it was clear it was going to a replay, I’m sure he’d have preferred a player to just score an own goal - and that’s probably worse for the FA cup and Shrewsbury, who’re now going to get a bit more money from the replay and probably progress further in the FA cup.

I think there’s a lot of fake outrage because the media’s having a bit of a slow news cycle in football and there’s only so many times someone can come out on Sky Sports and day the same thing about Bruno Fernandes. So this is a way to drum up outrage to get some new headlines - for instance why is Accrington Stanley’s chairman weighing in on this?

You've missed the point mate. 

Klopp (and all other managers) knew there'd be potential game in this 'winter break' period given the FA told them so as per the above tweet. Yet now Klopp is getting all pissy because he has to play this game because Shrewsbury couldn't be beaten and now it's affecting his winter break period, despite knowing that this could potentially happen all along. 

I don't think it's fake outrage at all - if anything it stems from Klopp's OTT reaction to it all. There's a common misconception that people are constantly fuelled by media or social media etc. This isn't always the case and perhaps, just maybe, people can think for themselves when it comes to football matters regarding any club, manager, player, fans etc. Not everything is because of the shite that Sky Sports trawl out on repeat.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Holt is not really on the anti-Scouse outrage bus; he is perpetually bang into this kind of thing - scrapping the League Cup, European competition expansion, and general ineptitude of the EFL, etc. Just look at some of the stuff he said about Pep when he had similar sentiments during the week. Does go a bit full on at times, and unnecessarily IMO, but good lord does he care. Some of the insights he gives are a cracking read too. What I wouldn't give to have someone with half of his passion and determination at Rovers....

I don't think it matters if they play the kids or not or if they want to progress or give it up altogether, the point is he is the Manager of Liverpool who are still playing in an FA cup competition and to blow it off by telling everyone the reason he is not going to be there is because he wants to stand by giving the players a winter break is pretty poor in my opinion.... Fine, give your first team players a break by all means but you still have a game to manage even if it's with the youth team... He is coming across a bit like it's not worthy of his time and effort which does not show anyone from Shrewsbury to his own youth team much respect... 

27 minutes ago, Rick said:

If that’s the case then Klopp looks very silly. I’m not arsed about giving the replay to the kids, but for him not to show up to “manage” them is really disrespectful. 

I don't think it's that inappropriate for the U23 manager to be there. If we're sending the U23s to represent us, he's the U23 manager.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think it's that inappropriate for the U23 manager to be there. If we're sending the U23s to represent us, he's the U23 manager.

It’s the way it’s come about mostly. I don’t think we have done ourselves any favours in the whole thing. Especially if the club agreed to the possibility of this happening before the season started. 

Our first team played the first leg, to put out the youngsters is one thing but to refuse to turn up as the manager of the team is poor. It really does show a lack of respect on our part. 

2 minutes ago, Rick said:

It’s the way it’s come about mostly. I don’t think we have done ourselves any favours in the whole thing. Especially if the club agreed to the possibility of this happening before the season started. 

Our first team played the first leg, to put out the youngsters is one thing but to refuse to turn up as the manager of the team is poor. It really does show a lack of respect on our part. 

The Shrewsbury manager says he understands our position, so I don't think they feel massively disrespected tbh.

If anything, I think they'll be quite pleased - this gives them a great opportunity to go through, aside from the fact they'll be getting Anfield gate receipts - because despite a weakened lineup, people will still turn up. And the senior players need a rest and the kids get a chance to prove test themselves against actual professionals.

Also given that many of the senior players didn't seem to give a shit about playing Shrewsbury last night... maybe it's for the best we're playing kids against a lower league side.

1 hour ago, Rick said:

If that’s the case then Klopp looks very silly. I’m not arsed about giving the replay to the kids, but for him not to show up to “manage” them is really disrespectful. 

What happened to never doubting this manager again mate?:what:xD

He's won us a European Cup and very probably the league. He can do what the fuck he likes as far as I'm concerned.

4 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

What happened to never doubting this manager again mate?:what:xD

He's won us a European Cup and very probably the league. He can do what the fuck he likes as far as I'm concerned.

I don’t doubt his choices with the team, hence why I don’t have an issue with picking youngsters. 

That being said I think it is disrespectful. I would expect more from him as our manager In this situation. 

42 minutes ago, Rick said:

I don’t doubt his choices with the team, hence why I don’t have an issue with picking youngsters. 

That being said I think it is disrespectful. I would expect more from him as our manager In this situation. 

Look, Klopp is clearly using it to make his point. From his point of view, if he doesn't do this now then nothing will ever change.

I don't get the whole disrespectful stuff either to be honest. The Shrewsbury manager seems fine with it?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Look, Klopp is clearly using it to make his point. From his point of view, if he doesn't do this now then nothing will ever change.

I don't get the whole disrespectful stuff either to be honest. The Shrewsbury manager seems fine with it?

Really? 

You wear red-tinted glasses if this is the case that you can't see it.

Let me ask you this - if it was Man Utd that had been taken to a replay, can you really see the kids being put out AND Klopp deciding to have a day off xD? In fact, not even just a side like Man Utd with the rivalry you have. Any decent Premier League side would not get this treatment from Klopp/Liverpool.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Really? 

You wear red-tinted glasses if this is the case that you can't see it.

Let me ask you this - if it was Man Utd that had been taken to a replay, can you really see the kids being put out AND Klopp deciding to have a day off xD? In fact, not even just a side like Man Utd with the rivalry you have. Any decent Premier League side would not get this treatment from Klopp/Liverpool.

Aston Villa, for example?

8 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

He could make the same point by resting the first team as they have been asked but tell me why he can't be there to Manage one game in the FA Cup over them 2 weeks??? 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived