The better place to talk football.

FA Cup Fourth Round Matches - 24-27th January, 2020

football forum

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

I do see where you're coming from, but the reason there are 11 days is because that's supposed to be our winter break. That should be protected time, not contingency time to make up other matches

1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

Think he's just following orders:what: knew you'd be one of the ones to display faux outrage at this

Faux outrage xD. It's not even outrage ffs. Just commenting on the situation man.

Also, perhaps he was told not to arrange friendlies/any games for the purposes of the potential replay xD? Or is that not fit in with the narrative?

• Subscriber

To be fair much as I'm against what Klopp's doing in being yet another with contempt for the cup (which he's not on his own for by the way, our own manager called for the abolition of replays) it does completely sum up what a mess they've made of this winter break that they've got replays during it, so actually, not really a 'break' at all.

This entire idea of the winter break sounds like a feeble attempt at appeasing people to me anyway. If you were serious about cutting down the fixture lists then make the Premier League 18 teams.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dan said:

To be fair much as I'm against what Klopp's doing in being yet another with contempt for the cup (which he's not on his own for by the way, our own manager called for the abolition of replays) it does completely sum up what a mess they've made of this winter break that they've got replays during it, so actually, not really a 'break' at all.

This entire idea of the winter break sounds like a feeble attempt at appeasing people to me anyway. If you were serious about cutting down the fixture lists then make the Premier League 18 teams.

What? 

It is a winter break xD. There's 2 weeks off Premier League games for all teams. No-one mentioned, at the time, that it'd be a break from FA Cup games either.

Also, the only solution isn't to have less teams in the league. It's perhaps have one less game during the Xmas period. Was there any conceivable reason why the game inbetween Boxing Day and NYD had to be played at that time?

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Also, the only solution isn't to have less teams in the league. It's perhaps have one less game during the Xmas period. Was there any conceivable reason why the game inbetween Boxing Day and NYD had to be played at that time?

This is a by-product of the TV scheduling and not the league wanting to spread the games. I think all the teams would prefer the schedule to be different but you're right those games didn't need to be played.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Faux outrage xD. It's not even outrage ffs. Just commenting on the situation man.

Also, perhaps he was told not to arrange friendlies/any games for the purposes of the potential replay xD? Or is that not fit in with the narrative?

"Please respect the winter break by not arranging any games during it in case we need to"

Seems unlikely

• Administrator
Just now, Burning Gold said:

"Please respect the winter break by not arranging any games during it in case we need to"

Seems unlikely

Premier League instructions.

Not FA instructions?

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Premier League instructions.

Not FA instructions?

If we're going to pretend they're two completely separate bodies with absolutely no relationship, then why in the first place would the Premier League ask teams to respect the winter break in case of FA Cup replays?

On the replay falling during the club’s Premier League winter break…

Look, our situation is the following: we have known that for a couple of weeks it is like this. Actually, we knew it a bit longer because it was always clear when we came through into the next round it would be like this. In April 2019, we got a letter from the Premier League where they asked us to respect the winter break, not to organise international friendlies and not to organise competitive games in respect of it. I have said to the boys already, two weeks ago, that we will have a winter break, so it means we will not be there – it will be the kids who play that game because they cannot deal with us like nobody cares about it. I know it is not very popular, but that’s the way I see it and, how I said, the Premier League asked us to respect the winter break and that’s what we do it. If then the FA do not respect it then we cannot change. But we will not be there.

On whether Neil Critchley will manage the team in the replay…

Exactly.

On the importance of his first-team squad getting a rest during the upcoming winter break…

It’s a winter break and maybe I could find the letter [from the Premier League]: it’s exactly like that, we have to respect it, to respect the players’ welfare and they need a rest – mental rest, physical rest. That’s what the winter break is about and then another competition tells us it’s not that important, so we had to make these decisions before because the boys have family and the international players like Jordan Henderson, Virgil van Dijk, Gini Wijnaldum, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Mo Salah, Sadio Mane, all these guys they have never [time] off so this is the week. I said in the moment it was clear there would be a winter break months ago, before I knew the FA Cup could come in between, then we would respect it and we do.

On how long the first-team squad will be ‘off’...

One week. They don’t have it ‘off’, they train but for themselves. They have running programmes, they have fitness programmes, that’s all they do. They never have ‘off’ time [but] they don’t come to Melwood and they don’t play football.

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Stan said:

What? 

It is a winter break xD. There's 2 weeks off Premier League games for all teams. No-one mentioned, at the time, that it'd be a break from FA Cup games either.

It's a load of bollocks to appease people who always moan about it like Klopp. It's also another excuse to make the FA Cup worse by throwing the 5th round to midweek. Surely you have to play the same number of games anyway.

If they were serious about it they would do something like reduce the Premier League to 18 teams but they would never actually do it, because they aren't.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

If we're going to pretend they're two completely separate bodies with absolutely no relationship, then why in the first place would the Premier League ask teams to respect the winter break in case of FA Cup replays?

I presume it's just trying to be forward thinking and proactive.

Have a winter break (i.e. a weekend off for every team in February). 

The calendar dates for each season are known well in advance. I guess that there is the communication between the 2 bodies hence saying 'don't organise games' because there'll be the potential for an FA Cup replay to happen but at the same time, every side will still get a weekend off thanks to the new break introduced.

Let's not act like Liverpool are the only ones having to experience a replay here by the way. I've not seen similar comments from Spurs, Newcastle, Southampton managers who also now have a replay in that week. There's no hissy fit from them saying they're not going to manage the game themselves and the kids will be sent. Why is it always a big deal when Klopp says something?

10 minutes ago, Inverted said:

If he wants to make a point about the whole mess, then fair enough play kids. I think he himself could at least fly back to manage the game and leave Lijnders to run training for a couple of days. 

Him not managing it is the point. Otherwise it's just him resting a load of first teamers, just like every other cup tie.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

The calendar dates for each season are known well in advance. I guess that there is the communication between the 2 bodies hence saying 'don't organise games' because there'll be the potential for an FA Cup replay to happen but at the same time, every side will still get a weekend off thanks to the new break introduced.

Let's not act like Liverpool are the only ones having to experience a replay here by the way. I've not seen similar comments from Spurs, Newcastle, Southampton managers who also now have a replay in that week. There's no hissy fit from them saying they're not going to manage the game themselves and the kids will be sent. Why is it always a big deal when Klopp says something?

Because people like you make it a big deal?

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

If it was just to leave space for replays, why would anyone care if a team arranged a friendly on the weekend? They'd just be playing a midweek game then a weekend one, which is hardly abnormal. Equally, if they just wanted to protect the weekend, why not just tell clubs not to arrange friendlies at the weekend?

It's pretty clear to me that what's happened here is more staggering incompetence from the people who brought you "Wait, shit, the actual champions of Europe won two League Cup ties? What the fuck do we do now boys?"

And to be fair, it's not just that Klopp's said something, it's that he's actually going to do something. (Okay fine, if you want to be a pedant, he's only said he's going to do it so far, but let's not)

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I don't think any of the Liverpool fans who have commented have had an issue with it. If we don't, why should you?

There's been some comments about another game you didn't need. Not like I'm the only one who has mentioned anything about it.

Also, if that's the criteria for discussing issues in football - discuss it with fans of the club in question first before giving an opinion on anything - this whole forum would be dead. What odd logic to have xD.

Let me just clarify:

• I can understand the annoyance you now have to play an extra game in the designated 'winter break'.
  • The FA would have arranged the scheduled dates for replays (4th/5th) before the PL decided to introduce this break
  • You still have 11 days before the next game you play (4th Feb against Shrewsbury; 15th Feb against Norwich). That's ample time for any club in any division
    • This bit makes me think Klopp's initial reaction to it all - 'I'm not managing the team, kids will play etc...' is an over the top one and reads like a child throwing their toys out of the pram.
  • Why do the kids not get a break? They play on the 29th Jan, 2nd Feb, now 4th Feb, 9th Feb. 4 games in 11 days for them now. Why is Klopp putting them in that situation now to play 2 games in 3 days. 
  • I've not heard Mourinho, Hassenhuttl, Bruce complain about an extra game in a winter break period. Klopp is very emotive/passionate/expressive so he gets the headlines I suppose.

Ok. I don't have an issue with Liverpool resting players for the replay. That's their call, and I understand their reasons. Every club does it these days, not just Liverpool. FA Cup has been like this for years now and if they want to risk going out, that is up to them.

But for Jurgen Klopp to say he will not manage the side for that game, that is my issue with all this and quite frankly, that is totally disrespectful. Any flack Liverpool get should be directed at this reason and this reason only.

Who does he think he is? He should treat Shrewsbury with the respect they deserve. No point whinging about an extra game. It's a bit of a 'Fuck You' to the Liverpool kids too who would love to be under his command at Anfield.

This could have all been avoided had Liverpool won the tie. They drew. Tough shit. They have a replay. Get on with it Jurgen and be in the dug out managing your team irrespective of who you put out.

I actually have to say that I’m disappointed in Jurgen for saying those things. I think Shrewsbury deserve to be treated with more respect. Whether or not you are annoyed at the FA for their Idiotic scheduling or not, the fact is that we didn’t do the job today and we have nobody else to blame for that. Shrewsbury earned their replay, so let’s just fucking get on with it. 

Im not fussed about us playing the youth for it, they’ve played all the way up to this point. But if Jurgen isn’t in the dug out then I’ll be a bit pissed off. 

9 hours ago, Stan said:

There's been some comments about another game you didn't need. Not like I'm the only one who has mentioned anything about it.

Also, if that's the criteria for discussing issues in football - discuss it with fans of the club in question first before giving an opinion on anything - this whole forum would be dead. What odd logic to have xD.

Let me just clarify:

• I can understand the annoyance you now have to play an extra game in the designated 'winter break'.
  • The FA would have arranged the scheduled dates for replays (4th/5th) before the PL decided to introduce this break
  • You still have 11 days before the next game you play (4th Feb against Shrewsbury; 15th Feb against Norwich). That's ample time for any club in any division
    • This bit makes me think Klopp's initial reaction to it all - 'I'm not managing the team, kids will play etc...' is an over the top one and reads like a child throwing their toys out of the pram.
  • Why do the kids not get a break? They play on the 29th Jan, 2nd Feb, now 4th Feb, 9th Feb. 4 games in 11 days for them now. Why is Klopp putting them in that situation now to play 2 games in 3 days. 
  • I've not heard Mourinho, Hassenhuttl, Bruce complain about an extra game in a winter break period. Klopp is very emotive/passionate/expressive so he gets the headlines I suppose.

The kids won't be playing two games in three days, don't be daft.

7 hours ago, Rick said:

I actually have to say that I’m disappointed in Jurgen for saying those things. I think Shrewsbury deserve to be treated with more respect. Whether or not you are annoyed at the FA for their Idiotic scheduling or not, the fact is that we didn’t do the job today and we have nobody else to blame for that. Shrewsbury earned their replay, so let’s just fucking get on with it. 

Im not fussed about us playing the youth for it, they’ve played all the way up to this point. But if Jurgen isn’t in the dug out then I’ll be a bit pissed off. 

Will you really though?

• The topic was unpinned

Archived