talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Will the New MLS Teams Do?

• The title was changed to How Will the New MLS Teams Do?
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Unless I'm missing someone obvious a quick look at Nashville's squad doesn't look to have anyone that inspiring or notable in it. I've just seen as well they're in the Western conference despite being on the more Eastern side of the States. Hell of a lot of travelling for them in that conference...

Miami's squad looks quite small, too. No big name signings given all the names they've been linked and who they're owned by. Still over a month to go to get something sorted though.

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Nashville and David Beckham’s mob, Inter Miami join the MLS from this year. How will they get on? 

Good question but hate that you've called it 'the MLS' :(

Nashville SC will do worse. Looking at their squad right now, only players I recognize are Anibal Godoy and Brayan Beckeles. Neither of who are superb. Hany Mukhtar I've heard of, but not sure if he's decent or not. Maybe @Tommy can give us a helping hand.

Otherwise they look headed to be another FC Cincinnati.

Inter Miami will do well. Their setup is similar to LAFC and Atlanta United. 

Nashville will likely be pretty bad, but the excitement they are generating is cool. Still think MLS missed the big opportunity to go to Phx first over Nashville. 

22 minutes ago, Eco said:

Inter Miami will do well. Their setup is similar to LAFC and Atlanta United. 

Nashville will likely be pretty bad, but the excitement they are generating is cool. Still think MLS missed the big opportunity to go to Phx first over Nashville. 

Phx is a weird abbreviation for San Diego

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Still can’t believe they lost the Chargers :dam:

The Spanos family was willing to throw more money down to build a new training facility in LA than they would have had to pay for a new stadium in San Diego. They wanted to move, they made unreasonable demands on the city - first in terms of how much the city should pay for the stadium (the Spanos family didn't want to pay anything at first - they just wanted a stadium handed to them). Then it was over the location of the stadium, where they wanted their new stadium to be located downtown and they submitted their proposals to the city.

Their proposal was insane and would effectively split the south half of downtown San Diego in two. It'd also force loads of businesses and residents to find a new place to set up shop/live. People in that area (including me, because it's where I work & I also live downtown) were furious with this insane proposal. Thankfully the city rightfully shot that proposal down.

Ultimately, after over a year of negotiating between the mayor, the Spanos family, and the NFL - it was agreed that the location of any new Chargers stadium in San Diego would be in Mission Valley (which is where their old stadium is) - as there's plenty of undeveloped land there. The city and the NFL would pay for most of the stadium - the Spanos family would still need to contribute though. But it would need to pass a vote in the city.

I'm not registered to vote because I'm not a citizen, but if I was... I would have voted down that proposal. The Spanos family was negotiating in bad faith and wanted to leave LA unless San Diego would throw down hundred of millions of taxpayer funds to build a billionaire a stadium. They didn't care about their fans in San Diego and they didn't care about the community, the prospect of selling corporate boxes in LA (and the prices sporting events at even the shittiest LA sides, make it worth their while I suppose) was too enticing for them.

Consequently, about half (or more) the people here who used to love them now absolutely hate them. It's not all bad though, when the Chargers lose there's a great Mexican place that gives out free tacos so this season was quite tasty. It's called the Spanos Special. The other half I think just wants to keep cheering for the players they've been cheering on for years... You can tell the local sportscasters are still a bit distraught by it.

And it's always funny when NFL commentators call them the San Diego Chargers still and then a few minutes later you can tell an angry producer's had a word with them because they're not supposed to do that and they have to make a correction. But I try not to watch their games unless I'm at a bar because I want them to have terrible TV ratings just like they've got terrible attendances in their MLS stadium. It'll be great to see a nearly empty NFL stadium when they're playing at the Rams home as well.

And back onto the topic of the MLS and new teams. Am I the only one who looks at this league and thinks "that's a lot of fucking teams?" I think the people in charge of football in the US need to start considering merging MLS and USL and having a promotion/relegation system and operating more like... everyone else... with football.

I'd understand the argument that "playoffs are a more familiar system for Americans" and I'm not saying we need to change the way they decide their title. Hell, if Americans love playoffs (which I understand, who doesn't love knockout tournaments) I'm sure there's a way to creatively make promotion and relegation possible through playoffs. We've got promotion playoffs in England, so that's one possible example.

The other argument is that US owners would never stand for it. But at the same time, these plans to keep adding to the MLS where it's going to have 30 clubs soon... it's just a ridiculous amount of teams in one league.

I guess the other counterpoint is: other American sports do it and it works fine. Which is a fair point I suppose.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And back onto the topic of the MLS and new teams. Am I the only one who looks at this league and thinks "that's a lot of fucking teams?" I think the people in charge of football in the US need to start considering merging MLS and USL and having a promotion/relegation system and operating more like... everyone else... with football.

I'd understand the argument that "playoffs are a more familiar system for Americans" and I'm not saying we need to change the way they decide their title. Hell, if Americans love playoffs (which I understand, who doesn't love knockout tournaments) I'm sure there's a way to creatively make promotion and relegation possible through playoffs. We've got promotion playoffs in England, so that's one possible example.

The other argument is that US owners would never stand for it. But at the same time, these plans to keep adding to the MLS where it's going to have 30 clubs soon... it's just a ridiculous amount of teams in one league.

I guess the other counterpoint is: other American sports do it and it works fine. Which is a fair point I suppose.

My “issue” with the ever growing number of MLS teams is quality. Is there enough quality to sustain a top level of thirty-ish teams? I get wanting to grow the game and having “elite” sides in the biggest American cities but surely quality over quantity is more important? 

If there is a significant drop off in terms of attendances at games and TV viewing figures than something would need to be done. 

Archived