talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Kobe Bryant Dies in Helicopter Crash

football forum

Kobe is dead. It still feels unreal. He's been around since... forever. I remember buying a knockoff Lakers shirt in Turkey with his name on it. I still have that somewhere. Also one of the few athletes were you rarely use his last name when you talk about him. Everyone has been on a first name basis with him :D Aw, man. Such a shame. 

But let's not forget that four other people died too, including two children, I believe. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Kobe is dead. It still feels unreal. He's been around since... forever. I remember buying a knockoff Lakers shirt in Turkey with his name on it. I still have that somewhere. Also one of the few athletes were you rarely use his last name when you talk about him. Everyone has been on a first name basis with him :D Aw, man. Such a shame. 

But let's not forget that four other people died too, including two children, I believe. 

9 people. Just reported now. 

All perished. 

7 minutes ago, Tommy said:

As a kid I had a picture of Kobe in my room. He was such a great player and he was more or less always around since I started watching and playing basketball. 

And what you said is very true. Doesn't matter with whom you played Basketball but whenever someone scores with great style someone would instantly shout "Kobe!".

RIP Kobe, your daughter and of course RIP to all the others who passed away. 

You'll be missed. 

Devastating news and too young to be gone. One of the greatest, easily in the top 5 that have played the game of basketball and such an inspiration for many. Even now I still yell "KOBEEEEE" in my mind when i toss something into a trash can and I know millions of others do the same. I enjoyed his prime time where him and Shaq formed a great duo and were the team to beat for my favourite Spurs to get the championship chance from the west.

He wanted to stay out of basketball after he retired but he was brought back into the game by his daughter since she loves this sport as told in one of his interviews (I think with Matt Barnes). He trains her and tours around with her for her games. He even established an academy to train the kids and athletes. The saddest part of all this is that his youngest daughter who is one year old will never ever see her father, such a horrible news to think about.

Just yesterday he was in the news for the fact that he was overtaken for the top 3rd scorer of all time and he even tweeted and congratulated the feat. Just one night later this happened and it all feels so surreal.

RIP Mamba

• Subscriber

Sad news, I am not an avid basketball fan but will read anything to do with sports greats and he was one of them, I feel so sad that his 13-year-old daughter died with him, R.I.P. Kobe, daughter and the other people who perished with him.  

• Subscriber

I remember being in college around 99-00 when they (The Lakers) won the championship and everyone was thinking the team he was in was something special and they were very special. I even had a friend tell me later that when I visited LA we should go watch a game and I distinctly remember saying that I wasn't interested in watching Shrek and Donkey win another game. The rest that came post that is history and he went on to achieve so many more things as a player, a person and as an ambassador of the sport. 

RIP Kobe, his daughter and everyone on that helicopter.

I also think its time the aviation industry globally started cracking down on the stupidity associated with helicopters and private aircraft when weather conditions aren't ideal for flight and stopping these things from happening. It's not just this incident and certainly not related to just helicopters but its clear that there is something wrong there not being addressed and it needs to be.

This is just really bizarre to me. Read it when I got out a gig yesterday night and I thought it was some sort of sick joke at first. Seems like something that would happen in an alternate universe or something. The sport lost a true giant and of course I hope his loved ones find the strength to process the death of him and his daughter.

Even if you've never seen Basketball before, you will know who he is and this shows just how good he was.

Also came across as a great fella as well, the type who would be a great night out.

The saddest part was seeing videos this morning of himself and his daughter. The bound they had was incredible and it was a very touching video.

R.I.P, such a loss to many people and also R.I.P to those who were with him as we can't forget them.

I'm with Brian, fuck helicopters. That's the one form of travel that just isn't for me. I'd be shitting myself for the whole duration.

Im an aviation enthusiast, I watch lot of videos on youtube related to aeroplanes where pilots talk about technical stuff but I have no clue about helicopters. However I found this video in my youtube suggestions last night and watched it. I didnt understand the whole terminology they used since this is related to helicopters but I felt that this is a weather related issue and not anything to do with any technical malfunction which I initially thought was the case... This is still speculation but if this indeed is down to weather then this whole tragedy feels like a lot worse ... easily avoidable and they could have taken a limo or something and avoid this.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

A lot of people in my office are Lakers fans - there are some truly devastated people here right now.

No surprises there. He was literally the childhood hero of a generation of basketball players. The person they aspired to be.

For me that was Jordan, and holy shit I'd be a mess if anything like this happened to him.

• Administrator

Still hard to come to terms with this - mainly because seeing the pictures and clips of he and his daughter really gets to me. And then you hear about the families who are left behind having lost not only a daughter/son or a parent, but both in some cases. So sad :( 

46 minutes ago, Stan said:

Still hard to come to terms with this - mainly because seeing the pictures and clips of he and his daughter really gets to me. And then you hear about the families who are left behind having lost not only a daughter/son or a parent, but both in some cases. So sad :( 

"The other victims included two of Gianna's 13-year-old basketball teammates, Payton Chester and Alyssa Altobelli. Chester's mother, Sarah, also was killed along with Altobelli's parents, longtime college baseball coach John Altobelli and his wife, Keri." - from ABC

Such a loss for the Altobelli family.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

What the actual fuck happened? Weather? Mechanical breakdown? 

There was a thick marine layer, which is pretty common for SoCal mornings tbh. Most helicopters were grounded according to various news sources - including police helicopters. The thing is this pilot was really experienced, was licensed to fly in poor visibility weather conditions, and was a flight instructor that taught how to fly in poor weather conditions.

The WaPo article released about the victims and the pilot's capability's last sentence said the 29 year old helicopter should have operated like normal, provided there was normal maintenance done to the helicopter. Having listened to the audio @Azeem posted before the crash... it does seem pretty strange that once the air traffic control notices something wrong with the altitude of the helicopter, they no longer hear back from the pilot at all. And then the helicopter disappears from the radar (which is probably as a result of the explosion from the impact of the crash).

So the two guesses you have... weather or a mechanical issue with the helicopter... those seem like the most likely. But as @Devil-Dick Willie said... there's nothing out official yet and an investigation is underway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 28/01/2020 at 19:26, Stan said:

Fucking hate shit like this. 

Screenshot_20200128_192505_com.facebook.katana.jpg

You mean you didn’t give Mr Gaaang any attention? That means you don’t care about the people that died.... you heartless **** 

9_9

Horrible what happened, imagine being there with your daughter knowing that’s going to happen. Awful for the families of them all.

Archived