talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - LB - Quarter Finals

football forum

Who makes the semis?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Marcelo or Giovanni van Bronckhorst?

• Marcelo
    • Giovanni van Bronckhorst
  2. 2. Paulo Maldini or Roberto Carlos?

• Paulo Maldini
    • Roberto Carlos
  3. 3. Ashley Cole or Philipp Lahm?

4. 4. Patrice Evra or Filipe Luis?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Went van Bronckhorst over Marcelo, narrowly. Roberto Carlos over Maldini - seem to be in the minority but probably because Roberto Carlos caught my attention more due to my age when they were both prominent and him being famous for his free kicks and attacking play. Ashley Cole and Patrice Evra were easier to settle on.

• Subscriber

Lahm was class, so was Cole. But the point of this was to bring up these debates, even if most of the threads have fallen flat because people can't be arsed. January and all that.

As to the position argument, I tried my best with players who played in more than one different position in their career. Wanted to get 16 in each position one way or another. So, sorry, not sorry.

53 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Lahm was class, so was Cole. But the point of this was to bring up these debates, even if most of the threads have fallen flat because people can't be arsed. January and all that.

As to the position argument, I tried my best with players who played in more than one different position in their career. Wanted to get 16 in each position one way or another. So, sorry, not sorry.

Nationalism shouldn’t play a debate, but it always inevitably does. I appreciate Lahm as a world class player that could also play several other positions. Ashley Cole was, in my opinion, the best left back.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

So i get your point but Lahm is inargueably one of the top handful of rbs of all time, to not have him on the rb list is a falacy. Losing to Ashley Cole.. well premier league bias is a thing there is no universe in which ashley cole is a better back at any point in history.

31 minutes ago, Viva la FCB said:

So i get your point but Lahm is inargueably one of the top handful of rbs of all time, to not have him on the rb list is a falacy. Losing to Ashley Cole.. well premier league bias is a thing there is no universe in which ashley cole is a better back at any point in history.

I agree that Lahm should probably be on the RB list, as one of the best RBs of all time. Having said that, I think there's a case to be made for Cole being the best left back in the world when he was at his peak.

Either way, Maldini at his best was better than both of them.

13 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Ashley Cole 2005-10 was arguably the best LB in the world. 

Hands down. 

Then it's not arguable if it's "hands down"

I have to disagree I'm afraid. Ashley Cole was very good but he's not Philip Lahm and never has been.

Archived