talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - LB - Quarter Finals

football forum

Who makes the semis?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Marcelo or Giovanni van Bronckhorst?

• Marcelo
    • Giovanni van Bronckhorst
  2. 2. Paulo Maldini or Roberto Carlos?

• Paulo Maldini
    • Roberto Carlos
  3. 3. Ashley Cole or Philipp Lahm?

4. 4. Patrice Evra or Filipe Luis?

This poll is closed to new votes

42 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Maldini should win this one overall, so it's not that big of a deal

I feel dirty to vote for him in these polls to be honest. I've never seen him play, not even once. I have seen some old players before like Maradona but Maldini is not included on that list.

I am going strictly by legacy.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Vader said:

I feel dirty to vote for him in these polls to be honest. I've never seen him play, not even once. I have seen some old players before like Maradona but Maldini is not included on that list.

As someone who did see him play, don’t feel like you’re wasting your vote. Best left back I’ve ever seen & an immense centreback once his legs were gone. Tbh if I had to make a “best defense” out of players I’ve ever seen, there’d be at least 3 AC Milan players in my back 4.

1 hour ago, Vader said:

Then it's not arguable if it's "hands down"

I have to disagree I'm afraid. Ashley Cole was very good but he's not Philip Lahm and never has been.

1 hour ago, Vader said:

By the sound of it you’ve never seen prime Ashley Cole also 

8 minutes ago, Vader said:

I have seen him, and he's not better than Lahm.

I am actually willing to bet you haven’t watched Ashley Cole in his prime. How old were you circa 2004-2008? Regular premier league watcher were you? If you were, you wouldn’t be making such statements about shoe horning a RB at left back on the basis of “he’s played there before” over arguably the greatest LB of the premier league era. 

Its honestly laughable. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I am actually willing to bet you haven’t watched Ashley Cole in his prime. How old were you circa 2004-2008? Regular premier league watcher were you? If you were, you wouldn’t be making such statements about shoe horning a RB at left back on the basis of “he’s played there before” over arguably the greatest LB of the premier league era. 

Its honestly laughable. 

Your opinion bro. I wasn't THAT young when Cole played.

And no one said Lahm is better at left back than Cole, just that he's a better player full stop. Right and left backs are very similar positions depending on foot and comfort. It's not like we're comparing him with a striker. Think it's laughable he's included in the left back polls, but it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, Vader said:

Your opinion bro. I wasn't THAT young when Cole played.

And no one said Lahm is better at left back than Cole, just that he's a better player full stop. Right and left backs are very similar positions depending on foot and comfort. It's not like we're comparing him with a striker. Think it's laughable he's included in the left back polls, but it is what it is.

Check again 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Cicero said:

Its honestly laughable. 

Lahm wasnt on the RB list for whatever the reason.. If we're voting on who's the better back... And that's the only way I can interpret this then it's not even close. Ashley Cole had a few years where he could shine Lahms boots but that's it. If we're comparing them as LB's then the whole vote is fucking useless. Might as well put Lahm in the defensive midfielders.

Ashley Cole was an athletic and energetic full back who could defend competently. An excellent addition to any team in the world in his prime. 

Philip Lahm was a complete footballer, could play either side or midfield. Could cross, dribble, score take free kicks and corners and defend better than Cole. Cole was bigger, and probably ran more, though less intelligently. I think only the English, or Chelsea fans would dare say Cole was better, and it's showing here.

5 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Ashley Cole was an athletic and energetic full back who could defend competently. An excellent addition to any team in the world in his prime. 

Philip Lahm was a complete footballer, could play either side or midfield. Could cross, dribble, score take free kicks and corners and defend better than Cole. Cole was bigger, and probably ran more, though less intelligently. I think only the English, or Chelsea fans would dare say Cole was better, and it's showing here.

We have three Chelsea fans here and he was 13 votes so no, why would supporters vote for him based on his nationality? Could then say that all Germans here voted for Lahm as they seem to be super triggered.

6 minutes ago, True Blue said:

We have three Chelsea fans here and he was 13 votes so no, why would supporters vote for him based on his nationality? Could then say that all Germans here voted for Lahm as they seem to be super triggered.

Same reason you voted for him. He played for their team. One of the few players Englanders were consistently proud of. 

It's not like a single one of you actually thinks he's better. 

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Same reason you voted for him. He played for their team. One of the few players Englanders were consistently proud of. 

It's not like a single one of you actually thinks he's better. 

Well there is no secret i voted for Cole as i think he is the best English LB in the past decade. It's not like he is shit but i voted for him just because he is a Chelsea player now is it?

2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

Well there is no secret i voted for Cole as i think he is the best English LB in the past decade. It's not like he is shit but i voted for him just because he is a Chelsea player now is it?

You're right. He is the best English left back in the past decade.

But if you think he's a better fullback or footballer than Lahm you're either A) Biased and seeing it through blue tinted glasses, or B) You don't know enough about football to be able to tell a clearly superior player from a great one.

I think the former is more likely sure. 

Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

You're right. He is the best English left back in the past decade.

But if you think he's a better fullback or footballer than Lahm you're either A) Biased and seeing it through blue tinted glasses, or B) You don't know enough about football to be able to tell a clearly superior player from a great one.

I think the former is more likely sure. 

Okay mate people that voted for Cole don't know enough about football to tell who is better, but people who voted for Lahm are clearly superior minds and know everything about football.

There we settled it

Just now, True Blue said:

Okay mate people that voted for Cole don't know enough about football to tell who is better, but people who voted for Lahm are clearly superior minds and know everything about football.

There we settled it

OR

All the English people and Chelsea fans voted for the English Chelsea person and all the others voted for the better footballer

There we settled it

1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

OR

All the English people and Chelsea fans voted for the English Chelsea person and all the others voted for the better footballer

There we settled it

What ever helps you sleep at night mate.

There we settled it

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Vader said:

Stan was the only one to bring it up? If I said it I wasn't paying attention.

You sure? 

Viva and Tommy both think Lahm is better than Cole. I said Cole was a better LB not the other way round. 

5 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

OR

There we settled it

giphy.gif

Archived