talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - LB - Quarter Finals

football forum

Who makes the semis?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Marcelo or Giovanni van Bronckhorst?

• Marcelo
    • Giovanni van Bronckhorst
  2. 2. Paulo Maldini or Roberto Carlos?

• Paulo Maldini
    • Roberto Carlos
  3. 3. Ashley Cole or Philipp Lahm?

4. 4. Patrice Evra or Filipe Luis?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Well if you're picking Ashley fucking Cole over him you'd probably pick TAA or Dani Alves or some shit over Lahm much less Cafu

Picking Ashley Cole over him at left back isn't that surprising. Ashley Cole was a phenomenal left back at his peak and was the best in that position for a number of seasons. Lahm wasn't naturally a left back was he? So if I'm picking between left backs... I'll pick the one who was the best in his position for years.

Honestly, for people claiming English bias over this... the amount of people absolutely underrating Ashley Cole is pretty astounding.

And again, who gives a shit? Neither of them are Maldini.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Picking Ashley Cole over him at left back isn't that surprising. Ashley Cole was a phenomenal left back at his peak and was the best in that position for a number of seasons. Lahm wasn't naturally a left back was he? So if I'm picking between left backs... I'll pick the one who was the best in his position for years.

Honestly, for people claiming English bias over this... the amount of people absolutely underrating Ashley Cole is pretty astounding.

And again, who gives a shit? Neither of them are Maldini.

That's a fair point. He should absolutely have been in the right backs. There's some down syndrome involved, though he is a world cup winning left back, and was just as good on the left...

Let's be real.

Left and right backs are the same position. Only difference is one is on the left and the other is on the right. It depends on foot and comfort.

That's not to say Lahm should be on the left back polls, because he was a right back. However if we're talking the better "full back" then Lahm is that player. They both had the same roles as players, just on opposite sides.

2 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That's a fair point. He should absolutely have been in the right backs. There's some down syndrome involved, though he is a world cup winning left back, and was just as good on the left...

And tbf, I do think it's much closer between Cafu & Lahm than I do between Maldini & Cole/Lahm. Also, I don't particularly put too much stock in international performances, I don't think the best international side ever would beat the best club side ever (because of shite that's common sense, like the best club side would be better acquainted with playing with each other because they practice with each other week in week out) - but if we're going to do that, considering what you said about Cafu… he won 2 World Cups & 2 Copa Americas and he was an absolute beast.

But I also think when considering individual players, honours won while they were part of really good teams doesn't necessarily mean they should lose out to players with more honours (i.e., Cafu > Alves)

• Subscriber

My overriding memory of Lahm as a footballer was that he scored one of the screamers in that opening game of the World Cup in 2006. This one (shite quality):

So maybe when I was doing it, my main memory of him coming as a left back subconsciously pushed me in that direction.

3 minutes ago, Vader said:

Let's be real.

Left and right backs are the same position. Only difference is one is on the left and the other is on the right. It depends on foot and comfort.

That's not to say Lahm should be on the left back polls, because he was a right back. However if we're talking the better "full back" then Lahm is that player. They both had the same roles as players, just on opposite sides.

No, it’s not the same. I don’t recall Lahm offering the same width he did at RB when playing LB. He was very much an inverted full back. 

Just now, Cicero said:

No, it’s not the same. I don’t recall Lahm offering the same width he did at RB when playing LB. He was very much an inverted full back. 

I meant they have the same role.

Cole wouldn't do as well on the right because he wouldn't have the same comfort in positioning. Full backs is one position though.

It's like comparing a left sided centre back to a right sided centre back.

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

David May is a Champions League winning CB. Winning something has absolutely fuck all to do with how good you are individually ffs.

It does if you're pivotal in winning the tournament.

I can use Sanchez winning the 2016 Copa America as an argument because he won the tournament himself.

1 minute ago, Vader said:

It does if you're pivotal in winning the tournament.

I can use Sanchez winning the 2016 Copa America as an argument because he won the tournament himself.

Pretty certain there were 10 other players on that team. Just like every game.

Lahm defended well. The strikers scored goals. The Goalkeeper saved goals. It’s not that difficult.

I meant they have the same role.

Cole wouldn't do as well on the right because he wouldn't have the same comfort in positioning. Full backs is one position though.

It's like comparing a left sided centre back to a right sided centre back.

Again, you’re wrong. Being forced on your weaker foot on your opposite side restricts width given the tendency for that player to always ‘cut in’. Something Lahm was notorious for for the national side. 

Pretty certain there were 10 other players on that team. Just like every game.

Some players are more important than others though.

Who was more important in Liverpool's CL win - Henderson or Firmino?

It's a team effort but some teams have weaker links - especially in cup tournaments.

Just now, Cicero said:

Again, you’re wrong. Being forced on your weaker foot on your opposite side restricts width given the tendency for that player to always ‘cut in’. Something Lahm was notorious for for the national side. 

Notice how I said this earlier?

I said that a full back will play on the left or right depending on his foot and comfort in positioning. However, a full back is still a full back. TAA and Marcelo are very similar players, only difference is TAA plays on the right and Marcelo plays on the left. Having a different style is another story.

Some players are more important than others though.

Who was more important in Liverpool's CL win - Henderson or Firmino?

It's a team effort but some teams have weaker links - especially in cup tournaments.

Yeah, the captain in central midfield was definitely the weak link.

• Subscriber

A part of me is already sad that I don't see how we can top this little scrap in any of the other threads still to come.

Miroslav Klose was a right winger wasn't he? And Schweinsteiger should have a shot at centre forward with Messi and Ronaldo in the wide categories.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

A part of me is already sad that I don't see how we can top this little scrap in any of the other threads still to come.

Miroslav Klose was a right winger wasn't he? And Schweinsteiger should have a shot at centre forward with Messi and Ronaldo in the wide categories.

We're having a debate. Nothing wrong with it. If you don't like debate starting with these threads then maybe you should leave someone else to run it.

You messed up. We get it. It started a more interesting discussion in the end.

Just now, Vader said:

We're having a debate. Nothing wrong with it. If you don't like debate starting with these threads then maybe you should leave someone else to run it.

You messed up. We get it. It started a more interesting discussion in the end.

Wind it in. Now.

Give me a run down of how Henderson was a ‘weaker’ link.

Fuck me, can’t believe I’m defending Henderson and a Liverpool CL final win.

He wasn't as influential as Van Dijk, Mane, Salah or Firmino.

It's not rocket science. All 11 players aren't as useful as each other. I'll admit Liverpool is a weird scenario in where it's hard to find a weaker link. But for me there are more influential players in the 11 than Henderson.

Archived