talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365's Top 30 South American Players

football forum

Image result for marcelo salas

Joint 21. Marcelo Salas - Chile - 3 points

Sometimes regarded as Chile's best ever player along with Ivan Zamorano, Marcelo Salas was a striker who altered his career between Europe and South America. Particularly in Europe, he was known for his stint at Lazio. A technical and strong forward.

He is from the chilly town of Temuco which is more down south of Santiago. He also did youths at the club he owns today in Deportes Temuco, but his professional debut was at Universidad de Chile where he scored 50 goals in 77 appearances. He's also sometimes idolized at River Plate for his time there, but perhaps not as much compared to U de Chile and Lazio.

5c59afc8ddca5ad09e878e29a8db742d.png

7563929af1d5a99ec241259403518018.png

Notable Former Teammates

Ivan Zamorano (Chile)

Maxi Lopez (River Plate)

Pavel Nedved (Lazio)

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Juan Arango - Was very underrated at Mallorca. Good player to watch and probably the best Venezuelan player I can remember seeing.

Arango was great but there's an argument between him, Stalin Rivas and even Salomon Rondon for best Venezuelan ever.

The problem with Rivas was he played in a rough time for Venezuela so he couldn't really impact his team too much. Arango was well after that transition and had a lot more luxury around him. Same with Rondon really, but I think he also needs to be in the shout.

The best South Americans ever

Argentina: Diego Maradona/Lionel Messi

Brazil: Pele/Garrincha

Uruguay: Obdulio Varela/Luis Suarez

Peru: Teofilo Cubillas/Hector Chumpitaz

Chile: Ivan Zamorano/Alexis Sanchez/Arturo Vidal/Marcelo Salas

Paraguay: Jose Luis Chilavert/Roque Santa Cruz

Bolivia: Victor Ugarte/Erwin Sanchez

Venezuela: Stalin Rivas/Juan Arango/Salomon Rondon

Colombia: Pibe Valderamma/Faustino Asprilla/James Rodriguez

Ecuador: Alex Aguinaga/Antonio Valencia/Agustin Delgado

Let's see how many of them make this list...

2 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

I think just you did mate. You put him in the middle which is 3 points.

Nice one, where abouts did you meet him?

They were at the hotel I was staying at during our CL tie against them in 2008. 

The only one that would take the time to greet and sign autographs. Literally the only one. 

11 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

The best South Americans ever

Argentina: Diego Maradona/Lionel Messi

Brazil: Pele/Garrincha

Uruguay: Obdulio Varela/Luis Suarez

Peru: Teofilo Cubillas/Hector Chumpitaz

Chile: Ivan Zamorano/Alexis Sanchez/Arturo Vidal/Marcelo Salas

Paraguay: Jose Luis Chilavert/Roque Santa Cruz

Bolivia: Victor Ugarte/Erwin Sanchez

Venezuela: Stalin Rivas/Juan Arango/Salomon Rondon

Colombia: Pibe Valderamma/Faustino Asprilla/James Rodriguez

Ecuador: Alex Aguinaga/Antonio Valencia/Agustin Delgado

Let's see how many of them make this list...

Oh I think that Nudge isn't going to be too happy with you excluding Claudio Pizarro for Peru.:(  Surely Nobby Solano must also be in with a shout for them as well.

Just now, Michael said:

Oh I think that Nudge isn't going to be too happy with you excluding Claudio Pizarro for Peru.:(  Surely Nobby Solano must also be in with a shout for them as well.

Nobby isn't even in our top 5 mate.

Claudio Pizarro is closer to that shout though and could perhaps be in discussion, but yeah they don't compare to the players we had in the 1970's.

Image result for arturo vidal

Joint 21. Arturo Vidal - Chile - 3 points

A Chilean after another. Arturo Vidal is along with Sanchez, the best Chilean of recent times. A complete midfielder of the classiest type. Good defensively, good going forward and a decent goalscorer. However, he does make the odd poisonous comment and we all know how much of a prick he can be, but there's no denying he was a top player in his prime.

Started his career at Colo-Colo, probably the biggest club in his home country. He played for 2 years there before making the jump to Bayer Leverkusen. Things only went uphill from there. Juventus, Bayern and Barcelona. An extremely prestigious career. He also helped lead Chile to their first 2 Copa America's in their history. In the end, his presence poisoned the dressing room and Chile came crashing down, but he's appreciated for what he's achieved for his nation and his strong performances prior to 2017 will never be forgotten.

Bit of a fun fact: Arturo Vidal knocked out Peruvian side Coronel Bolognesi in the 2006 Copa Sudamericana. The manager of Bolognesi was Jorge Sampaoli. The rest is history.

Honours

c69e65d65ad06649dc7251b9ce8472da.png

8b726e50b3580130a75690827e447f05.png

Notable Former Teammates

Alexis Sanchez (Colo Colo and Chile)

Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich)

Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona)

Andrea Pirlo (Juventus)

30. Ezequiel Lavezzi

29. Alisson Becker

28. Roberto Carlos

27. Paolo Guerrero

26. Alfredo Di Stefano

25. Diego Godin

24. Naldo

23. Romario

22. Juninho

21. Diego Lugano

20. Marcelo Salas

19. Arturo Vidal

Just keeping track of the list so I don't repeat players. That's how its going so far. 30-22 are joint. 21-19 are also joint.

Image result for lucas leiva

Joint 21. Lucas Leiva - Brazil - 3 points

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Is it a Gaucho? Surprisingly not the third option. Lucas Leiva despite looking like a clear gaucho, is actually from Mato Grosso do Sul. He even started at Gremio, which is from Porto Alegre. He is most known for his time at Liverpool however. Today he is currently at Lazio in Serie A.

As mentioned, he started at Gremio despite not actually being a gaucho. While in Brazil, he won the best player in the league award and moved to Liverpool in 2007 for which he would stay at merseyside for 10 years.

Honours

7756003986deacd81fd87085dea5344b.png

Notable Former Teammates

Luis Suarez (Liverpool)

Felipe Caicedo (Lazio)

Neymar (Brazil)

Cassio (Gremio)

Lucio (Gremio)

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fernando Torres should be on his notable former teammates, fuck Suarez.

Hopefully he wins the Serie A this season, even though I think the club he plays for is a horrible horrible club with awful fascist fans.

More importantly I forgot Gerrard :o 

2 hours ago, Stan said:

Lucas being there surprises me. 

He's my second favourite South American player, so he got 3 points just from that. Tbf, if you're a Liverpool fan Lucas is an easy player to love. He came in and was sort of slated by almost everybody... and 10 years on after that moment, he left us as a legend (or maybe a cult hero). He put in so many great years of service for us and played with a lot of heart.

And he was our first Brazilian, I think.

Image result for diego forlan

Joint 21. Diego Forlan - Uruguay - 3 points

One of the best Uruguayan players in the 21st century. He alongside Recoba was a bit of light during a rough time in Uruguayan football. He also lasted into the new generation consisting of Edinson Cavani and Luis Suarez. With them he managed to finish 4th in the 2010 World Cup and win the 2011 Copa America. Had a bad stint at Manchester United but is more recognized for his achievements with Atletico Madrid.

He was taken off Danubio's hands by Independiente. He is also an Independiente fan in Argentina and doesn't pick between Boca or River. He scored 37 goals for them before going to Europe to play for Manchester United.

Honours

ca1555d0c2320b6bd0072df60e419f19.png

02abd780d50a00395073f9d3d93959b2.png

Former Notable Teammates

Luis Suarez (Uruguay)

Alvaro Recoba (Uruguay)

Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)

Juan Roman Riquelme (Villareal)

Esteban Cambiasso (Independiente)

On 18/02/2020 at 12:58, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fernando Torres should be on his notable former teammates, fuck Suarez.

Hopefully he wins the Serie A this season, even though I think the club he plays for is a horrible horrible club with awful fascist fans.

Nothing wrong with facism :ph34r: It just hasn't been done propely yet.

25 minutes ago, Spike said:

Nothing wrong with facism :ph34r: It just hasn't been done propely yet.

You could probably make a decent argument that no sort of authoritarian rule has been done properly. But it's probably because of human nature that authoritarian governments end up being pretty shit - because humans are easily corrupted by power. Either way, forcible suppression of political opposition is a key aspect of fascism - and that in itself makes it pretty shit, regardless of whether or not "it's been done properly."

Archived