talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Well there were massive protests in 2010 when we won the league and got to a Champions League final…………

Yeah... but thats 11 years ago. Now we're seeing people in the 2021-2022 kits they've purchased from the club with Ronaldo's name and number on the back donning the green and gold scarfs at the same time - these current protests come off as churlish at best, tbh. These people don't want to feel like an exploited asset by the Glazers? Then they shouldn't be buying the new kit xD - capitalists like the Glazers only understand their "customers" which the fans are voting with their wallets.

The cynic in me is pretty sure this one is just because the match with us is coming up and fans think they'll push it off again if they protest again. But if the match has to be called off... I think this time the rules should actually be followed this time around. Not a repeat of what happened last time, which tbh should never have happened.

In any case, I think the protesting is a bit weird right now. Glazers invested heavily in United this summer and are even now investing in fixing up the stadium and modernising the infrastructure of the club - shit that they were rightfully slaughtered by fans for.

This season the only reason the Glazers are an issue for Man Utd fans is that they've just given Solksjaer a contract extension. Other than that, they've actually done stuff fans are asking them for (which is more than some American owners have done tbh). Investment into the first team (pretty serious investment too - a world class CB in Varane, a right winger that was needed in Sancho, and then adding genuine world class talent in Cristiano Ronaldo).

They've tried to do with United what they've done with their NFL team... the difference is their NFL team has a pretty good coach and their football team has a guy who's out of his depth.

A bigger issue for United this season is Ferdinand and Neville's punditry, because each time they talk about United they seem to be taking on the role of unofficial club ambassador. And they go soft on Solksjaer, say things like Conte (probably the best manager available for United right now, tbh) isn't a good fit for United. They're using their media platforms to back their friend who's the current manager and are doing what they can to sway public opinion away from United's board making the "easy" decision of sacking a legend to appoint an available world class manager.

Don't get me wrong, the Glazers are cunts and they don't belong in football. But they're definitely not even close to the worst owners in football... they're not even the worst Americans to own a club in this league...

But if these protests do go off, I've got no real faith in the league actually enforcing their rules... I imagine the same thing will happen again.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Because it gets the most coverage. C’mon mate, it’s not rocket science 😂

But surely any protest is only valid if it's consistent and you don't celebrate expensive signings inbetween then four weeks later are organising protests because you've lost a couple of games

7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

But surely any protest is only valid if it's consistent and you don't celebrate expensive signings inbetween then four weeks later are organising protests because you've lost a couple of games

I think you’re confusing a couple of thousand that will protest compared to the millions that are passive and don’t. You didn’t have 40,000+ protest against Hicks and Gillet. It’s only ever the hardcore mob. Hell, most of them fucked the club off altogether and started FC United.

17 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

I think you’re confusing a couple of thousand that will protest compared to the millions that are passive and don’t. You didn’t have 40,000+ protest against Hicks and Gillet. It’s only ever the hardcore mob. Hell, most of them fucked the club off altogether and started FC United.

If there is indeed a protest on Sunday then I'll be asking where were the hardcore couple of thousand at the Newcastle game or the Aston Villa game. The answer of course will be that they were rimming the return of Ronaldo like the rest

40 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

If there is indeed a protest on Sunday then I'll be asking where were the hardcore couple of thousand at the Newcastle game or the Aston Villa game. The answer of course will be that they were rimming the return of Ronaldo like the rest

Fans getting caught up in the moment? How dare they! I think you’re stance is this tough simply because it’s United. Again, Newcastle and Villa don’t get the coverage that the Liverpool game does. That’s why there were no protests. However, I DO think the sentiment is misplaced and they should be more concerned with Solksjaer right now than the Glazers.

What is the protest actually over? Aren’t the Glazers starting to do the things that were asked of them? Not going to be fixed overnight. Just spent a shit ton on players and are (rightly or wrongly) backing a club legend in the managers post, the fuck else do Utd fans want right now? 

Edited by Rick

6 hours ago, Rick said:

What is the protest actually over? Aren’t the Glazers starting to do the things that were asked of them? Not going to be fixed overnight. Just spent a shit ton on players and are (rightly or wrongly) backing a club legend in the managers post, the fuck else do Utd fans want right now? 

They thought the return of Ronaldo would make them instant title challengers. They've realised it won't and they now want to throw more money at it

6 hours ago, LFCMike said:

They thought the return of Ronaldo would make them instant title challengers. They've realised it won't and they now want to throw more money at it

All the United fans I’ve seen expressed their concerns over a DM which would hold them back. 

He appears more interested in picking ridiculous fights with his ex-team mates who, love them or hate them/agree with them or disagree with them, are literally paid to analyse football. He seems honestly confused about this. He's now being asked questions and they're pretty valid ones too. He's been at a huge club for three years now, he's been given money and backing to put his own team together and stamp his own identity on the team and they are pretty much nothing except pray that one of their brilliant individual talents pulls them out. He seems ludicrously thin-skinned and as though everybody should be praising him for this.

Man Utd, whether you love, hate or are indifferent to them, have a history of winning. He knows that more than anyone as a player (a brilliant player) but he seems way, way too relaxed about it as though winning is a nice bonus but some abstract about "our values" wins all - and he doesn't show much of that either. Under Ferguson, United won at all costs and the man didn't give two shits what anyone thought of him providing they did it. Solskjaer just wants unreserved praise as a lovely, humble man (he's not) with great "values" and seems positively upset when he's reminded that he needs to throw together a workable plan to have United win trophies again.

They'll likely go no further with him and if they keep persisting with this experiment, they'll keep missing out on top managers. I'd start talking to Conte imminently.

Edited by Tar-Mairon

• Subscriber

We can all go on about how he won us the treble in 99 and that includes me but, if you think about it he came on as a sub with Teddy Sheringham who scored the first and had an assist in the second via Ole's boot and when I keep looking at that second goal if he had left it alone I think the ball would have ended up in the back of the net and Sheringham would have had a brace and he would have been the hero on that glorious night.

22 hours ago, Stan said:

What an absolute wrong'un

Also had no idea @MUFC is Paul Scholes. 

Now that I think of it Scholes does seem a bit weird. But thats weird weird. It can't be his daughter surely 

Edited by Guest

What exactly does Solskjaer think United are close to? 

They finished second last season and a title challenge was expected this season. They have almost no chance of either - they won't get in the top three and are further away than last year. They're out of the League Cup, the CL is a million miles away and they start in the same place as everyone else in the FA Cup and you wouldn't fancy it.

10 hours ago, Rick said:

It’s very surprising a goblin like him had a hand in making her. 

84-DDC4-FD-31-FF-4268-AEFE-2-C0832-A2573

Not to be that guy, but behind the instagram filters and heavy makeup, his genetics are still pretty prevalent xD