talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

59 minutes ago, Rick said:

If he doesn’t win the Champions League this season, there’s a very strong possibility he gets the sack. PSG exist to win that trophy, that’s their number one focus. The league isn’t a write off but they are heavy heavy favourites, the cups wouldn’t have him keep his job. Yeah, managing Messi from the outside looking in seems great. But when you have him acting like a diva, and having more power at the club then how fun can it be really? I would hate to work with Messi & Neymar, they come across like absolute pricks.

He won’t be remembered at PSG unless he wins that first Champions League, and like we have seen time and time again, the PSG players cannot handle the big occasions. He would be insane to turn down a 4 year deal at Utd. Look at their squad, full of brilliant players who can do a whole lot better under a good manager. 

He's clearly been commenting off record to the BBC and others saying that he is interested in stories like this  https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59372826 . But I genuinely find it hard to believe this isn't just games.

United will bin him off only slightly less quickly than PSG.

Possibly he doesn't enjoy the big ego management, but what logic is there walking away on a squad with Messi, and Neymar to one with Pogba and Ronaldo? 

The only angle I can see is if PSG actively prefer Zidane, and have told him this would be the perfect time to jump ship in a "works for everyone".

Sancho, Rashford, Fernandes, Ronaldo, Cavani, Greenwood, Pogba. These are all brilliant players and I’m sure Poch would like a go managing them. Especially with the age of most of those. 

Yes PSG have Messi & Neymar but Mbappe has all but left. Would you really pass up the Utd job to manage Messi for maximum one more season before he fucks off to NOB? He will steady the ship at Utd, and have them looking more of a team than Ole managed to do. Look how bad it got before Utd binned him, along with keeping Mourinho for about 8 months too long. Utd aren’t trigger happy usually with their managers. 

• Subscriber

I haven't read the thread so I don't know if I'm being the first to stick my neck out, probably not, but my gut feeling is that Poch and Man Utd somehow won't work out either. Don't ask me to explain it because it certainly should be one of the best options for them, just feels like it still won't pan out.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I haven't read the thread so I don't know if I'm being the first to stick my neck out, probably not, but my gut feeling is that Poch and Man Utd somehow won't work out either. Don't ask me to explain it because it certainly should be one of the best options for them, just feels like it still won't pan out.

I agree I don't see Poch winning major silverware (EPL or CL) while at Utd though expect them to play better and win some less prestigious silverware.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cavani apparently waved goodbye to all four sides of Old Trafford last night. TV cameras didn't pick up on it but its been mentioned a lot online.

I think its been well known he's never settled in England. On top of that Ole battled to get him to sign a new contract and the we signed Ronaldo.

Bet it was a kick in the teeth for him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

What an awful picture. Sums us up. Jones and Matic aside, defeated and disinterested before the whistle is even blown.

F181C53F-557D-4FE4-AF0A-1D699D9FB886.jpeg

We've signed too many players with weak mentalities, looking back at the Sir Alex era a players background would be checked before he was signed to make sure he had the correct attitude.

Whenever he occasionally got it wrong they were sold sharp. Poborski and Kleberson being key examples.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if it is weak personalities or says more about Alex Ferguson. 

I've heard about the Beckham hairdryer incident yet what is not said is about Fergie, did he let his temper do the motivational work?

Terry smashing up the room next to the dressing room at half time has recently come out and was unusual behaviour tolerated by Mourinho.

I also think Roy Kean would have been pretty good at motivating his team mates.

Maybe some need the fear factor to go and out and perform at the highest level.

The interesting thing about United was that Solskjaer was praised for draining the toxicity of Mourinho and making it a happy camp, even when results weren't going their way and they were underachieving in competitions.

This looks to be just as toxic, if not moreso, than Mourinho with all the reports of cliques and sniping at each other. Has this been brewing for a long time or did the signing of Ronaldo really upset the apple cart as some have suggested? 

On 08/01/2022 at 05:07, Tar-Mairon said:

The interesting thing about United was that Solskjaer was praised for draining the toxicity of Mourinho and making it a happy camp, even when results weren't going their way and they were underachieving in competitions.

This looks to be just as toxic, if not moreso, than Mourinho with all the reports of cliques and sniping at each other. Has this been brewing for a long time or did the signing of Ronaldo really upset the apple cart as some have suggested? 

I think it's been brewing for a long time & personally I don't think Ronaldo can be blamed so much for Man Utd's pains in trying to transition into pressing more when he's pressing more than players much younger than him as an OAP.

I don't think Rashford's been managed well either - physically or mentally. He's been asked to play with injuries, he put off a big surgery because of Solskjaer & Southgate's asking him to for club/country, he's received a ton of racial abuse and abuse for combatting child hunger (weirdly). He looks a shadow of himself compared to when he's in form. And I think if he's been mismanaged... chances are other United players have also been mismanaged as well.

Too few United players look like they give a fuck when they're on the pitch. Which as a Liverpool fan, I'm okay with seeing. But if I were a United fan, I'd be really questioning why some of these supposedly great players look like they can't be arsed to perform in a United shirt.

You compare someone like Ronaldo to someone like Pogba and I think there's a pretty stark difference in mentality. Ronaldo's got shitloads of talent, but also an incredible work ethic and attitude - whenever he's on the pitch you never really doubt his commitment to getting a win (although sometimes this season it's led to some moments of petulance that shouldn't really be allowed, even for a player of his stature). Pogba's got shitloads of talent as well, as proven by his time at Juve and France, but I don't think he's got the right attitude to be a big player in a top side.

When Pogba's on the pitch you never know which Pogba's going to turn up - but 6/10 times, you're probably getting the Pogba who thinks it's his teammates job to do all the hard work while he fannies about on the pitch. When the going gets tough at France or when it did at Juve, I'd probably count on his teammates to put in the midfield shift necessary to get a win... not him. I'd certainly never count on him to be the sort of midfield general he was expected to have been, who can grab a match by the scruff of the neck and change things.

There's too many players at United right now that think "I'm at United, I've made it" rather than players who think "I'm at United, now is my chance to win things so I can say I've made it" imho. I do think Ronaldo was a luxury signing they didn't need to make and that's maybe a tactical problem for United now... but I don't think he's a problem in terms of the toxicity at the club right now.

Long may the toxicity continue, though.

• Upvote 1

On 15/01/2022 at 09:22, Cicero said:

His body language on the pitch leaves a lot to be desired. But then again, you can't blame him. 

Apparently when Ronaldo was subbed off he asked Rangnick, “why me? Why not the younger players?” Shortly after, United scored and Rangnick responded “That’s why”. 

😯

• Haha 2

Ronaldo must be causing issues in the dressing room. He argued with the manager infront of everyone on tv. He should be disciplined for that. I know players get angry when  they get substituted but rarely do they argue with the manager like that. The problem is how popular he is in the dressing room. If he is popular and the manager upsets him there is only one winner