talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Manchester United: Steve McClaren & Mitchell van der Gaag named assistant coaches

02b26e1f-6925-4b01-bba4-a433564af004.png

Steve McClaren and Mitchell van der Gaag have been appointed as Erik ten Hag's assistant coaches at Manchester United.

They have worked with new United boss Ten Hag in Dutch football - McClaren at FC Twente and Van der Gaag at Ajax.

All three were in the crowd for United's defeat by Crystal Palace on the final day of the Premier League season on Sunday.

"I thought I worked hard until I met Erik," said McClaren.

"His great strength lies not just in his attention to detail and organisation. He has a clear philosophy of how he wants to play football, the environment he wants to create."

Former England manager McClaren worked as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant at United for more than two seasons from 1999 to 2001.

Van der Gaag spent the last year as Ten Hag's assistant at Ajax.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61548364

Wasn't the most interesting press conference, they asked a few pointless questions which Ten Hag was never going to answer and it was the usual process bollocks.

One thing I didn't like was his comment about evaluating the players he's got, he must surely have watched enough of our games now to have an idea of who's a slacker or not up to task. I hate players get more time because a new manager comes in.

• Thanks 1

I remember the same vociferous belief when Jose Mourinho took over.   I do have reservations about Ten Haag and I think he is jumping head first into a very difficult situation.

Man United are going to go into next season with about 85% of the team that finished this season,  and they cannot be trusted.   They will throw him under the bus at the first sign of the ship taking on water.    Man United need a good off season and a solid start to next season or it will be the same blood for the alter of sacrifice. 

Man United need 11 new players and that is not realistic,  now they are linked to 75 million pound players with a budget that is probably 120m.   United need to go young and build or next season is going to be another disaster. 

Man United are also paying more per point than any team in the league and it isn't even close,  they have players on high earnings and the output is below league average,  making them either buy low type options but Man United seem to think they can extort 40 million for a back up Goal keeper taking home 12 million a season to sit on the bench behind a 40 year old Spaniard. 

• Subscriber

While I also have reservations about Ten Hag being a success in the short or long term, there's definitely enough in parts of their existing squad to get more quality out of if they can surround them with the right players.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Devil said:

Wasn't the most interesting press conference, they asked a few pointless questions which Ten Hag was never going to answer and it was the usual process bollocks.

One thing I didn't like was his comment about evaluating the players he's got, he must surely have watched enough of our games now to have an idea of who's a slacker or not up to task. I hate players get more time because a new manager comes in.

Mate he’s been the manager of Ajax this season, he will not have done enough research to fully know the capabilities of the players and who will be of use to him. Plus he’s not going to alienate the entire squad by saying yeah I know who’s getting the boot.

• Upvote 1

So far the hot stories have been:

Frankie De Jong,  what role is he wanted for,  we keep hearing that man united need defensive midfielders and Frenkie's defensive numbers are not good,  he seems more of a Bruno/Pogba type player.  75m is being taken for a ride. 

Jurrien Timber,  went from certainty to possibly not happening.

Antony was mumbled but Ajax said they want 70m for him,  Man United don't have bottomless spending the talk is 150m and that's used up on Frenkie and Antony,   Timber is probably around 50mil.

Darwin Nunez,  he has blown it out the water by stating he will not be going to Man United.

The trend is overpriced players.    Man United need to do the moneyball approach,  they need to find value players that will fight for that badge.   It seems to be a club detached from reality.