talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

6 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

@Redcanuck

Is it true Mn Utd made a payment to the agent of Dean Henderson for getting him to sign a long term contract?

If true, isnt that illegal?

That's the agent fee your talking about right?  The agent always gets a fee when their client is renewing his contract don't they?  Or are you talking about something else?

• Upvote 1

I think I've only just noticed a problem with Ole. He talks like a fan rather than a manager. His analysis of Saturday's match was that of a fan who thinks it would be improper for any other side to win at Old Trafford. If his slant was more toward how improper the performance was for Man United at Old Trafford, that may cut through more effectively. I imagine his team talks not being drastically different from his press comments.

On 24/09/2021 at 22:38, Redcanuck said:

That's the agent fee your talking about right?  The agent always gets a fee when their client is renewing his contract don't they?  Or are you talking about something else?

This came about on the night you was knocked out of the league cup. On a radio phone in it was said its common knowledge around Manchester that the agent got a "Bonus" payment for getting the boy signed when it was thought he had a number of clubs ready to offer him first team football. Maybe its the payment you speak of above? It's just seemed to be worded as it was an extra payment.

Whatever it was, he made a mistake signing.

48 minutes ago, The Liquidator said:

This came about on the night you was knocked out of the league cup. On a radio phone in it was said its common knowledge around Manchester that the agent got a "Bonus" payment for getting the boy signed when it was thought he had a number of clubs ready to offer him first team football. Maybe its the payment you speak of above? It's just seemed to be worded as it was an extra payment.

Whatever it was, he made a mistake signing.

De Gea is a better keeper in my opinion.  Henderson is more vocal and seems to organize the back four better, but in all other aspects of the job  I would take De Gea over him.  I think United shoukd have sold him or shaped for somebody they need.

Edited by Redcanuck

19 hours ago, Redcanuck said:

De Gea is a better keeper in my opinion.  Henderson is more vocal and seems to organize the back four better, but in all other aspects of the job  I would take De Gea over him.  I think United shoukd have sold him or shaped for somebody they need.

I think Donarumma was the one you should have got really, especially on a free.

He had a monster Euro's and has the presence of a Number 1 for years to come.

Donnarumma on a free is still likley to be an extremely expensive acquisition. Raiola would want him on stupendous wages and would probably want additional up-front payments that are almost the size of a major transfer fee. He probably turns out to be worth it in a whole span of a career, but getting Donnarumma probably means they don't also get Varane, Sancho, and Ronaldo in the same summer.

Plus, having two keepers on >£300,000 a week would be slightly extreme, even for United. I don't see how you get rid of De Gea.

I think the issue with United is that they think they can build an Ajax or Bayern type management culture around the legacy of Ferguson's time. But Alex Ferguson was arguably the greatest pragmatist in history and an extremely adaptable manager. He also micromanaged the entire club, essentially.

There was no "United Way" apart from Ferguson trying various things, making personal judgement calls, and generally being very successful with them. I don't think there is a "Ferguson Philosophy" of any type.

It seems to me fundamentally that United need to accept that the way they did things in the 90s, 00s, and early 10s was a freak state of affairs that would not have worked without him, and will never work again. There's nothing anyone can necessarily learn from that time apart from "Jesus, what a manager he was".

The best illustration is the fact that you cannot really find any manager, who was primarily inspired by Ferguson, who was particularly good. Who is in the Ferguson "school" of managers? Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, and Ole? 

Edited by Inverted

1 hour ago, DeadLinesman said:

Maybe the issue is a private conversation being recorded by the media and being spun into the narrative they want it to be…..

I have no idea what’s gone on past big Ferg saying Ronaldo shoulda started. Everyone’s gunna have an opinion though, like you suggest hard to blame someone for having it just cos it was secretly recorded!

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

I think the issue with United is that they think they can build an Ajax or Bayern type management culture around the legacy of Ferguson's time. But Alex Ferguson was arguably the greatest pragmatist in history and an extremely adaptable manager. He also micromanaged the entire club, essentially.

There was no "United Way" apart from Ferguson trying various things, making personal judgement calls, and generally being very successful with them. I don't think there is a "Ferguson Philosophy" of any type.

It seems to me fundamentally that United need to accept that the way they did things in the 90s, 00s, and early 10s was a freak state of affairs that would not have worked without him, and will never work again. There's nothing anyone can necessarily learn from that time apart from "Jesus, what a manager he was".

The best illustration is the fact that you cannot really find any manager, who was primarily inspired by Ferguson, who was particularly good. Who is in the Ferguson "school" of managers? Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, and Ole? 

Interesting that when you hear former players and now managers talk about his influence, even though he was clearly tactically aware and flexible, they seem to use the classic “play it out to the wings” with a seasoning of “swashbuckling” thrown in for good measure. Rarely any great tactical incite.

2 hours ago, Danny said:

Interesting that when you hear former players and now managers talk about his influence, even though he was clearly tactically aware and flexible, they seem to use the classic “play it out to the wings” with a seasoning of “swashbuckling” thrown in for good measure. Rarely any great tactical incite.

I think Ferguson had an instinctive tactical understanding which was very effective but which was basically unteachable. 

He wasn't a great theoritician and teacher of the game like a Cruyff or Bielsa. 

2 hours ago, Inverted said:

I think Ferguson had an instinctive tactical understanding which was very effective but which was basically unteachable. 

He wasn't a great theoritician and teacher of the game like a Cruyff or Bielsa. 

It’s a weird thing to say but he seemed to be a winner first and a tactician after, whereas the likes of Bielsa or even Guardiola have quite a heavy reliance on a specific tactical framework. I think that’s why a lot of ex-Ferguson players seem to be managers with a lot of soundbite but not a lot of tactical consistency 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

@Redcanuck

Is it time for a change yet mate? I hear Steve Bruce will be available soon :)

It's been time for a while now, but it won't be Bruce.  Probably Conte or Zidane, but I would go for ten hag or maybe Rangnick.  Brenden Rogers I think is the bookies favourite.

But I fear they won't sack him unless we are out if everything by the end of November, which is certainly possible.