talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

1 minute ago, CaaC (John) said:

Makes you laugh, really, these football owners and directors whatever create a legend then can knock them down just like that, Dalgleish was a legend at Liverpool, left, came back as manager then got sacked, the funny bit is they named a stand after him at Anfield. O.o

As for Woodward, that guy is a useless prick and a money-grabber and the bastard is still there as he does not leave until the end of the year.

Even when they sacked him as manager they kept him around as an employee though - I think he's one of our "ambassadors" & I don't think he took it personally that he got sacked. He was brought in to wash away the stink Hodgson put on the club and probably the ideal man to bring in when the air around Anfield was full of toxicity.

If there's a way to do it with Dalglish, there's a way to do it with Ferguson. The man will always be loved and respected at United, and for good reason. But if he's still having a say in how things operate at United, that's obviously not okay because he's going to be undermining people trying to do their jobs. If he wanted to still be involved, he should have asked to be Director of Football tbh. Honestly, if he'd done that, Moyes might have faired a lot better.

I dunno if Woodward is a useless prick, he's done a brilliant job at making lots of money for Manchester United. I think you'd be hoping his replacement, on the corporate side of things, is as good as he is. But you'd also be hoping that whoever is brought in to replace him is also coming in with someone who understands football more than money to work with him - because that's obviously been a part of the problem, imo.

A moneyman coming in and making football decisions in lieu of any experts (and perhaps putting too much trust in managers that the club didn't have faith in beyond a year) is silly. Just like you wouldn't ask Sir Alex Ferguson to strike up corporate deals with sponsors.

The Glazers probably asked him to do too much and pushed him beyond his wheelhouse. But tbh, in terms of United being a profitable asset for their owners... he's done a good job. And considering how you've not really been a dominant force at all for years, I think he's maybe underrated at his job in keeping you as commercially viable as when you were amongst the best sides in Europe.

Tbh, I think United have almost everything they need to be good again. They just need some focus on how they're spending the huge amounts of money they've got - because throwing money at problems without knowing how they'll be solving that problem doesn't actually do anything in most cases. Chelsea have embraced short-term thinking when they do it, City have taken a more long term approach. United have caught themselves between two minds in how they'll spend money and it's hurt them.

Okay yeah, this isn't going to get better for Manchester United fans anytime soon - bet you'll all be happy to be rid of Woodward:

"We don't want someone that might be ambitious, we want a yes man."

With that kind of attitude, you can kiss the idea of Conte at United goodbye. No way they'd work with a man who said this about players with shit attitudes:

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer walks into a Bank to cash a cheque. As he approaches the cashier he says, "Good morning, Ms could you please cash this cheque for me?"

Cashier:"It would be my pleasure. Could you please show me your ID?"

Solskjaer:"Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to. I am Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Manager of Manchester United”.

Cashier: "Yes, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of impostors and forgers and requirements of the legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID."

Solskjaer: Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am."

Cashier: "I am sorry, Mr Solskjaer but these are the bank rules and I must follow them."

Solskjaer,"Come on please, I am urging you, please cash this cheque."

Cashier: "Look sir, here is an example of what we can do. One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his cheque."

"Another time, Andre Agassi came in without ID. He pulled out his tennis racket and made a fabulous shot where the tennis ball landed in my cup. With that shot we cashed his cheque. So, sir, what can you do to prove that it is you and only you?"

Solskjaer stands there thinking and thinking and finally says, "Honestly, my mind is a total blank...there is nothing that comes to my mind. I can't think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do. I don't have a clue."

Cashier: "Will that be large or small notes , Mr Solskjaer?”

If Ferguson is being asked to come into training, United need to get a grip and show their current manager some respect. If Ferguson is doing it of his own accord, he needs to told politely but firmly that he is always respected, always a legend but he can have no part or say in how the club's on-field affairs are run.

He is undermining the current manager and the club can never move on and build a new era while he does this.

It's not helped by the Chief of Class of 92 Brand who, when it comes to United, loses his ability to be an excellent pundit saying things like "no manager can ever come into that club with his own philosophy" (no other club's ex pros have this level of stupidity) again, the implication being that even a few ex pros, including the manager, see United simply as a nostalgia cafe, desperately trying to relive Ferguson.

Ferguson wasn't wedded to a philosophy. That's what made him a genius. He adapted with the times. "Attacking football and bringing youth through" is not a philosophy. Everyone wants to do that and when teams aren't doing it, their fans get angry. A manager has to come in and bring his own philosophy to United for their own good and if Ferguson is put out and a few ex-pros don't like it, this is the price United must pay if they want to win things again.

Edited by Tar-Mairon

Should imagine a defeat at Spurs could realistically be an end to him myself. Not that I don't think it's over anyway, he's basically playing caretaker until this run of horror fixtures is over.

I hope he goes without any badness in the stadium as well because the fans have to remember Ole gave us arguably the clubs most famous moment. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

From 'Caught Offside' as the source. Not sure they're that reliable... 

No I don't think so myself.

What's your feelings on this, would you be disappointed if he were to leave for us?

I'm split on it myself, he has done really well with Leicester and Swansea and people tend to forget if Gerrard didn't slip he'd have guided Liverpool to the title as well.

The fact he's managed Liverpool aside I think he runs a very well organised team and he's had a fair amount of experience.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Devil said:

No I don't think so myself.

What's your feelings on this, would you be disappointed if he were to leave for us?

I'm split on it myself, he has done really well with Leicester and Swansea and people tend to forget if Gerrard didn't slip he'd have guided Liverpool to the title as well.

The fact he's managed Liverpool aside I think he runs a very well organised team and he's had a fair amount of experience.

Very disappointed. 

He's the best we can get at the moment. If he goes I have no idea who we could get. 

Recent form has been quite poor but he's still the best we could hope for. 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

Very disappointed. 

He's the best we can get at the moment. If he goes I have no idea who we could get. 

Recent form has been quite poor but he's still the best we could hope for. 

Manager swap?

😂

Another question, for anyone actually this one.

Do you think Ole will get another shot at a Premier League club after United?

33 minutes ago, Devil said:

Manager swap?

😂

I don’t think so - he’s been afforded a huge amount of patience for the amount he’s spent. I don’t think he could get that with the same rate of improvement that he’s shown at United, I think he’s only getting that patience because he’s a United legend.

Any club that he’d go to after United, other than City - where I doubt he ends up xD - won’t have the same resources. And I don’t think he’s record as a manager would fill many clubs with confidence because he’s spent a lot for gradual improvement.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Devil said:

Manager swap?

😂

I think he will and he'll fail badly.

38 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think he will and he'll fail badly.

Said with spite that. 😂

To be honest the one thing I don't like or understand about the whole situation is the general dislike people have for Ole, I always felt even though he was a United player people held a bit of respect for him due to the whole super sub Mr nice guy image.

Must be hard being a manager that's such an easy target, the stuff getting shared about on social media about him would be enough to send you into a depression.

Sad thing is the players must see it themselves.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Devil said:

Said with spite that. 😂

To be honest the one thing I don't like or understand about the whole situation is the general dislike people have for Ole, I always felt even though he was a United player people held a bit of respect for him due to the whole super sub Mr nice guy image.

Must be hard being a manager that's such an easy target, the stuff getting shared about on social media about him would be enough to send you into a depression.

Sad thing is the players must see it themselves.

No spite at all.

I just don't think he's a good manager.

Can't get a tune out of a side despite spending hundreds of millions of pounds. Can't control egos and can't get anything out of some damn good individual talent. A proper good manager has that side challenging with Man City & Chelsea & Liverpool.

It's not a dislike for him as a person (even though he does have a dodgy past). It's the fact I just don't rate him as a manager.

He had a nice guy image but I don't think he's ever been a nice guy. 

He comes across to me as a completely arrogant, hypocritical dick who thinks he deserves to be worshiped just because he's at United, without any of the actual managerial talent to back it up. 

Granted, it is a little personal with me as I'm still pissed off about what he said about Son last year but the point still stands.

6 minutes ago, Devil said:

I liked Ole.. I always thought he was a good servant to the club in his time.... never moaned or complained and pretty much delivered when required but the overall problem at United is that they have simply been unable to find anyone to fill the boots of Fergie and until they do the job will always be a mountain to climb for anyone in charge and they will be the focal point for any fan anger... Fans of the opposition of course just love that they are struggling regardless of who is in charge... 

All those years of success under Fergie have given the fans a sense of expectation that clearly can't be matched on the pitch.. They lack cohesion as a team, Under Fergie they were a solid unit from front to back and when they had their backs against the wall they would come back fighting and all guns blazing and they all pulled for each other and you just don't really see that happening with this team... Sure they have the odd game where things look good but they have no consistency with it and as a result just keep dropping further and further off the pace... 

Most sensible people knew that when Fergie stepped down it was going to be a long while before United could reach those heights again... 

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I liked Ole.. I always thought he was a good servant to the club in his time.... never moaned or complained and pretty much delivered when required but the overall problem at United is that they have simply been unable to find anyone to fill the boots of Fergie and until they do the job will always be a mountain to climb for anyone in charge and they will be the focal point for any fan anger... Fans of the opposition of course just love that they are struggling regardless of who is in charge... 

All those years of success under Fergie have given the fans a sense of expectation that clearly can't be matched on the pitch.. They lack cohesion as a team, Under Fergie they were a solid unit from front to back and when they had their backs against the wall they would come back fighting and all guns blazing and they all pulled for each other and you just don't really see that happening with this team... Sure they have the odd game where things look good but they have no consistency with it and as a result just keep dropping further and further off the pace... 

Most sensible people knew that when Fergie stepped down it was going to be a long while before United could reach those heights again... 

United fans aren't that stupid mate, we know the score ourselves and the expectations have slipped massively over the last few years.

I think we'd have been happy with the League Cup this season myself but he showed that trophy a total disrespect. Reality is he should have taken the City approach and looked at it as a good stepping board to further success.

That's what Sir Alex did with the cups.

One thing I've always said is I can accept a transition and a wait given how much success I've seen as a supporter. What I didn't expect was once Sir Alex was gone the League would become so damn competitive, there have been four different champions since we won and now Newcastle will be in and about us sooner rather than later.

We could be gone for good at this rate.

47 minutes ago, Devil said:

We could be gone for good at this rate.

Because of the commercial aspect and large support I don't see you being relegated any time soon.

I would expect if you finish outside the top 6 for Ole to go at the end of the season and then for a big name to come in as manager.

Of course the wrong choice might cause more problems.

31 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Because of the commercial aspect and large support I don't see you being relegated any time soon.

I would expect if you finish outside the top 6 for Ole to go at the end of the season and then for a big name to come in as manager.

Of course the wrong choice might cause more problems.

I wasn't suggesting we'd be relegated.

I just think the owners are happy running as a commercial business and don't have the ambition of other owners so we may never get back within the title contenders.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Devil said:

I wasn't suggesting we'd be relegated.

I just think the owners are happy running as a commercial business and don't have the ambition of other owners so we may never get back within the title contenders.

True yet your fan protests in the past have had some effect.

They can't get the sponsorship revenue in half empty stadiums.

6 minutes ago, Waylander said:

True yet your fan protests in the past have had some effect.

They can't get the sponsorship revenue in half empty stadiums.

Old Trafford will never ever be empty.

One thing about United, league Cup or League game. Always full.

We're not City, they can't even fill their stadium for Champions league games with a team so dominant.

Our support is huge, I've just been to Egypt and whenever I say Manchester they all love United.