talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Manchester United Discussion

football forum

the expectation

man United sell all their crap and rebuild of some promising talent.   

the reality

it's hard to sell players on big contracts whose performances make them valueless.  even getting rid of them for free means paying towards the contracts.   

man United are the new York Mets of football, overpaying for Mendoza line level output.    they have to ride out some of the contracts.   

the can sell players like pogba and fernandes though

One thing that really annoys me about pundits like roy Keane,  gary neville ,paul scholes etc is the  way they just talk like man utd should always be at the top. Man utd had less titles than arsenal before Ferguson was there. They were still a top club but it was Ferguson who built them into a super club. 

21 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

One thing that really annoys me about pundits like roy Keane,  gary neville ,paul scholes etc is the  way they just talk like man utd should always be at the top. Man utd had less titles than arsenal before Ferguson was there. They were still a top club but it was Ferguson who built them into a super club. 

You’ve just kinda undone your own argument there though…….

21 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

You’ve just kinda undone your own argument there though…….

I mean that they were a good club before Ferguson but not always at the top 

4 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

They’re coming from a place of loving United and knowing what it takes to be a top team in Europe. I imagine seeing United the way they’ve been this season pains them.

I hate the fuckers, but I understand it. Especially now that I’m living through a period of my life where we are actually good - it’s not just having quality players. The attitude in a winning side is something else compared to past very good sides I remember us having in the past.

Going from being players that have that attitude to watching players that very much don’t have that attitude is probably so annoying for these ex-United legends. I fucking love it.

8 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They’re coming from a place of loving United and knowing what it takes to be a top team in Europe. I imagine seeing United the way they’ve been this season pains them.

I hate the fuckers, but I understand it. Especially now that I’m living through a period of my life where we are actually good - it’s not just having quality players. The attitude in a winning side is something else compared to past very good sides I remember us having in the past.

Going from being players that have that attitude to watching players that very much don’t have that attitude is probably so annoying for these ex-United legends. I fucking love it.

The thing is those players played in a great utd team that was winning things with a great manager. It much harder to perform in a team that isnt like that. I mean look at paul Scholes performances for England. It was very clear at times he didnt have the same motivation for it. I'd like to see those players play in this side and see if it doesnt affect their performances.

5 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

The thing is those players played in a great utd team that was winning things with a great manager. It much harder to perform in a team that isnt like that. I mean look at paul Scholes performances for England. It was very clear at times he didnt have the same motivation for it. I'd like to see those players play in this side and see if it doesnt affect their performances.

I'm sure having a manager with a winning mentality helped them quite a bit. With England it's a bit different, especially in that era when the players formed cliques based on what clubs they played for - it's hard to have a good winning mentality at your team when you've got your clique in the team and don't really get on with the rest of them. And yeah, that's a failure of the managers of that era as well & something Southgate's done well at - fostering a team that has the mentality to fight for each other & plays with a style/identity - even though he's not half the tactician Sven, Capello, or even Hodgson were.

With United, it just feels like they play well when they're up for it but they're also capable of getting outplayed by better sides or hiding in a shell when the going gets tough. I don't even think you have to be a great manager to spot that issue and even far less talented sides can manage to look like they give more of a fuck than some of these players do.

The regression at United's been staggering and yeah, none of the managers appointed really come close to the level of Ferguson - not even "the Special One" - but that's not just down to the managers and their decisions. Atletico are proof that if you have good players and a manager that keeps them mentally strong, you don't even have to play good football to have a good manager. They're the Spanish champions and we really shouldn't be surprised that they've knocked this United side out, but everyone knows how they play in Europe... yet they've been in the quarter finals a ridiculous amount of times and he's won La Liga in the Messi era a few times while playing his brand of dogshit football.

It's not just the manager's tactics that matter, it's instilling the right attitude. And yeah, some United managers have failed at that... but also many United players have let the club down with their attitudes.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Trust me. We could sign Guardiola, Mbappe, Haaland, Camavinga, De Bruyne, Van Dijk and we’d still be fucking shite. The shit oozes from the top down and covers everything.

I can attest to this. When a football club is broken and toxic, you can bring in whatever individuals you want and even if they're actually good, they'll be infected with the disease within weeks of arriving.

I'm obviously not just referring to Man Utd but I'll leave the rest unsaid and focus on them. They might bring in a manager who is a brilliant operator on paper, the best in the world if you want, but expecting one man to turn things around in the midst of a very clear cultural problem in the organisation is like dropping an ice cube into a tub full of boiling water and expecting it to cool down enough for you to climb in and enjoy a nice bath.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Trust me. We could sign Guardiola, Mbappe, Haaland, Camavinga, De Bruyne, Van Dijk and we’d still be fucking shite. The shit oozes from the top down and covers everything.

Rangnick is now your sporting director though. Add ten Hag, you have two men who share the same vision. 

It's very promising. 

This week we have been linked with; 

Dean Henderson - makes sense with Debravka as injury prone as he has been,  Henderson is a big upgrade on Darlow and Woodman.

Pogba - I doubt it is authentic,  but he is another Hatam Ben Arfa type for us,  a guy with all the skills but to much mental fragility and no fight.    If it was true this type of deal would set us back around 60M which we could get Renato Sanches for less than half that,  or a lesser name like In-goem Hwang,  or take a chance on Christian Eriksen on a free. 

Lingard - he hasn't been statistically good for a long time but that is probably due to Man United not being statistically good either,  the merry go round of managers doesn't help either.    His cup of tea with West Ham gives food for thought and given we are not going to have "winning" expectations in 2022/2023,  Lingard should be a sizable upgrade over Jacob Murphy and Almiron

• Subscriber

Seen Pogba was making comments about his future yesterday and how his time at Man Utd hasn't satisfied him. Surely this lad is in "I'll drive him there myself" territory for the majority of Man Utd fans now?

He's the absolute epitome of everything that's gone wrong for them since the Ferguson era. Signed for his brand and a cheap hashtag. Does his job for about half the season with half a dozen genuinely world class appearances sprinkled about in there. Missing for the other half, either literally due to injury, or figuratively because he isn't performing, with the latter scenario usually greeted with some sort of cringe Instagram statement "hitting back" at his critics and claiming that he's "fighting harder than I ever have every day for the shirt".

I can't think of a bigger poster boy for a football club's issues than Paul Pogba. Martial was bad, not quite in the same league as Pogba though, at least they've managed to get shot of him. Massive fee, massive ego and a fraction of the footballing talent and work rate you'd need to justify either. Wouldn't last five minutes at Man City or Liverpool without a personality transplant. If I was a Man Utd fan, I'd despise the bloke. In fact, I already dislike him a lot just because of the type of modern day footballer he represents. PSG come sniffing around with a decent-sized wedge I'd bite their hands off if I was them.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Seen Pogba was making comments about his future yesterday and how his time at Man Utd hasn't satisfied him. Surely this lad is in "I'll drive him there myself" territory for the majority of Man Utd fans now?

He's the absolute epitome of everything that's gone wrong for them since the Ferguson era. Signed for his brand and a cheap hashtag. Does his job for about half the season with half a dozen genuinely world class appearances sprinkled about in there. Missing for the other half, either literally due to injury, or figuratively because he isn't performing, with the latter scenario usually greeted with some sort of cringe Instagram statement "hitting back" at his critics and claiming that he's "fighting harder than I ever have every day for the shirt".

I can't think of a bigger poster boy for a football club's issues than Paul Pogba. Martial was bad, not quite in the same league as Pogba though, at least they've managed to get shot of him. Massive fee, massive ego and a fraction of the footballing talent and work rate you'd need to justify either. Wouldn't last five minutes at Man City or Liverpool without a personality transplant. If I was a Man Utd fan, I'd despise the bloke. In fact, I already dislike him a lot just because of the type of modern day footballer he represents. PSG come sniffing around with a decent-sized wedge I'd bite their hands off if I was them.