19 members have voted

1. 1. Paulo Maldini or Ashley Cole?

2. 2. Marcelo or Filipe Luis?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

@RandoEFC there appears to be no British option to choose in Marcelo/Filipe Luis? Not sure if there's a mistake here. You may have messed up. If you can't do these things properly please get someone else to do it. 

See, Bundesliga lads...  would you have wanted to see your golden boy get absolutely crushed against Maldini? Probably not. So good thing we voted for a left back to lose against him in this "best left back" contest.

Maldini should win in the final too tbh.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

See, Bundesliga lads...  would you have wanted to see your golden boy get absolutely crushed against Maldini? Probably not. So good thing we voted for a left back to lose against him in this "best left back" contest.

Maldini should win in the final too tbh.

Only footy on TV in Britain in the 1990's was Italian football... PL/UK bias :ph34r:

On a bright note, I'm so happy Evra didn't go as far as this. I was too young when he was probably half decent at Monaco in that CL run but every version of Evra I've seen has not been good. That said, Filipe Luis isn't a top LB either that shouldn't have made it this far.

Just now, Stan said:

You must have missed a lot of football about 10 years ago... 

Mate, Evra has been garbage the entirety of this decade (or now the last one). From 2000-2010 he had some legs to stand on, but 2010-2020 he was one of the most overrated Left backs I've seen. So much there was a point Fabio was getting more minutes than him iirc xD

• Subscriber

Evra was initially good at Man Utd but outstayed his usefulness by 2-3 years in the closing stages of Fergie's reign where everything seemed to get a bit loose on the recruitment front, and he won that last title out of sheer stubbornness. When you look at how poor and or past it a lot of that squad was that won the "farewell" title the mind does boggle.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Vader said:

Mate, Evra has been garbage the entirety of this decade (or now the last one). From 2000-2010 he had some legs to stand on, but 2010-2020 he was one of the most overrated Left backs I've seen. So much there was a point Fabio was getting more minutes than him iirc xD

Good job I said about 10 years ago then. Not in the last 10 years. 

3 minutes ago, Vader said:

Oh yeah, 2010 the year he was single handedly responsible for France's world cup group elimination.

I’m not sure international tournaments are the best way to judge a player. France overall were a team of individual talent that famously had players in open revolt against their manager (who, tbf, sounds like a twat).

There were a lot of players and a lot of people responsible for France’s early exit. And wasn’t that when France barely qualified off a Henry handball against Ireland?

Club football’s a bigger factor to me in the measure of a player. Because a player that consistently performs at the highest level week in week out is impressive.

Evra, as much as I hate to admit it, was a great player at his best. But United kept him passed his physical best in a league as physical as ours - but he went to Juve, another massive club, and put in a few good years with them as well. They used up the rest of the energy he had left and then he had 2 spells of paid semi-retirement with Marseille & West Ham.

It’d be mental to take away from what’s probably a decade or more of playing consistently well at the top level, at big clubs with massive expectation, simply because he was shit in an international team that was shit and dysfunctional.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’m not sure international tournaments are the best way to judge a player. France overall were a team of individual talent that famously had players in open revolt against their manager (who, tbf, sounds like a twat).

There were a lot of players and a lot of people responsible for France’s early exit. And wasn’t that when France barely qualified off a Henry handball against Ireland?

Club football’s a bigger factor to me in the measure of a player. Because a player that consistently performs at the highest level week in week out is impressive.

Evra, as much as I hate to admit it, was a great player at his best. But United kept him passed his physical best in a league as physical as ours - but he went to Juve, another massive club, and put in a few good years with them as well. They used up the rest of the energy he had left and then he had 2 spells of paid semi-retirement with Marseille & West Ham.

It’d be mental to take away from what’s probably a decade or more of playing consistently well at the top level, at big clubs with massive expectation, simply because he was shit in an international team that was shit and dysfunctional.

He's only saying that cos he's never watched a minute of him in the Premier League so has nothing else to go on. 

24 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

His attitude was god awful, that's what I was going at. Evra was the ring leader IIRC in that revolt.

Evra was never ever a world class player. Actually I was still a big Serie A follower when he was at Juve, and I hate to tell you but he was the weak link of the team. Every opposition attack always went through him, and it wasn't any different in his final United days. He had some legs to stand on earlier in his United career, sure. He was never a world class left back though or even near it. 

No idea how he was at Monaco but the Evra I know has never been a player of my liking.

24 minutes ago, Stan said:

He's only saying that cos he's never watched a minute of him in the Premier League so has nothing else to go on. 

Oh yay the "you've never seen the player" card when you know you've lost the argumentxD

@Dr. Gonzo

Looks like my memory served me right.

Patrice Evra has been dropped for France's crucial match against South Africa this afternoon.

The full-back, and France captain, appears to have paid the price for leading the protest which saw the entire squad refuse to train on Sunday following the decision by the French Football Federation to send Nicolas Anelka home after he insulted the manager, Raymond Domenech, following France's 2-0 defeat by Mexico last week.

Obviously this is secondary, but to be honest as a player I didn't like him too much. Was OK at the start for United, crap later on and then crap again at Juve and Marseille.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Vader said:

Oh yay the "you've never seen the player" card when you know you've lost the argumentxD

You seem to totally discount any time he was sensational at Utd. You talk about his legs in his old days and some legs 'early in his United career' but seem to bypass his best years which coincided with Utd being a ridiculously solid team. 

Not sure what argument has been 'lost' here? 

Just now, Stan said:

You seem to totally discount any time he was sensational at Utd. You talk about his legs in his old days and some legs 'early in his United career' but seem to bypass his best years which coincided with Utd being a ridiculously solid team. 

Not sure what argument has been 'lost' here? 

There's no discounting those sensational United sides. They were fantastic. I've just never liked Evra as a player.

The argument has been lost as soon as you decided to attack me instead of debate. No doubt you'll deny it now too.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, Vader said:

There's no discounting those sensational United sides. They were fantastic. I've just never liked Evra as a player.

The argument has been lost as soon as you decided to attack me instead of debate. No doubt you'll deny it now too.

attack you ffs Brian grow a pair.

You seem to use your bias against Evra to deny he had any kind of quality. All you go on about is 'legs' and something that happened internationally for one tournament.

Your ignorance of his quality is blinded by your bias.

Haven't you said before that you didn't watch Premier League football around the time Evra was at Utd, late 00s etc?

Archived