talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Richarlison - £85m Bid From Barcelona Rejected

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I’m so sceptical about Sky Sports News and SkyBet. I’ve said it before on here but it really wouldn’t surprise me if they made stuff up to get mug punters staking a load of money on “Player A moving to Team B”, they then suspend betting and then sit back and wait for it to all blow over. 

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It stinks that it's never been properly looked into.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Been happening for years. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Not surprising. Sky Sports tend to do this in every transfer window, especially January. You can see how it goes in the offices behind the scenes.

"Our clicks and hits aren't up on last year's January window, what's happening?"

"Clubs just aren't doing as much business as they used to in January."

"Stop making excuses, more people are online and have access to the Sky Sports brand across social media than ever, we should be getting more clicks and hits than ever."

"Okay, I'll make up a dumb as shit, potentially believable transfer story with a massively inflated fee and get it trending on Twitter, that'll get us some clicks."

"Perfect, we'll ring our totally unaffiliated pals at Sky Bet and get them to slash the odds to make it look like a bunch of in the know punters are throwing money at it, that'll give the story some traction."

And so on and so on.

Call me a cynic.

4 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not surprising. Sky Sports tend to do this in every transfer window, especially January. You can see how it goes in the offices behind the scenes.

"Our clicks and hits aren't up on last year's January window, what's happening?"

"Clubs just aren't doing as much business as they used to in January."

"Stop making excuses, more people are online and have access to the Sky Sports brand across social media than ever, we should be getting more clicks and hits than ever."

"Okay, I'll make up a dumb as shit, potentially believable transfer story with a massively inflated fee and get it trending on Twitter, that'll get us some clicks."

"Perfect, we'll ring our totally unaffiliated pals at Sky Bet and get them to slash the odds to make it look like a bunch of in the know punters are throwing money at it, that'll give the story some traction."

And so on and so on.

Call me a cynic.

I think you're right about all of that. Except for the "massively inflated fee" - if Barca (or any other club like them) come in for Richarlison, Everton should be holding out for more. Because Barca can (and will) pay more when a club values a player highly and puts a premium on them.

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think you're right about all of that. Except for the "massively inflated fee" - if Barca (or any other club like them) come in for Richarlison, Everton should be holding out for more. Because Barca can (and will) pay more when a club values a player highly and puts a premium on them.

Yeah more on about the principle of their approach than the specifics of this particular deal.

14 minutes ago, Stan said:

I thought this was common knowledge.

Been happening for years. 

It’s not common knowledge. Otherwise, they’d have been found out for it and punished for manipulating their own markets.

It could well be something as innocuous them running a twenty four hour news channel and needing to fill air time during periods of which there is little news and/or poor viewing figures. Still, that’s pretty immoral but nowhere near as morally bankrupt as the idea that they’d create a story to entice people into betting on their sister company’s betting site to gain a profit.

• Administrator
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

It’s not common knowledge. Otherwise, they’d have been found out for it and punished for manipulating their own markets.

It could well be something as innocuous them running a twenty four hour news channel and needing to fill air time during periods of which there is little news and/or poor viewing figures. Still, that’s pretty immoral but nowhere near as morally bankrupt as the idea that they’d create a story to entice people into betting on their sister company’s betting site to gain a profit.

I meant that it's a very common occurrence. It happening now, even in this transfer window, is not a new thing. 

It says a lot about the perception of Sky that so many people would think it happens, even if it is morally bankrupt. 

I think timing would also come into play if this were true. Everton are in a position where they’re four points off European qualification and seven points from the bottom three and while they’ll be currently looking ahead rather than behind them, you’re not going to sell your prize asset in January, with less than three days to replace him, while you’re (worst case) fighting for survival or (best case) pushing for the European places. There’s also this summer’s Copa America to consider, Brazil and Richarlison retaining that increases his value to Everton, too. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

I meant that it's a very common occurrence. It happening now, even in this transfer window, is not a new thing. 

It says a lot about the perception of Sky that so many people would think it happens, even if it is morally bankrupt. 

I think them creating content to get engagement online, via social media and on the tele and people therefore taking that as gospel and going on to SkyBet and gambling will go hand in hand, really. Without one, you can’t get the other. I suppose it’s seen as less blatant compared with other betting firms as the others aren’t under the same umbrella as the only 24 hour sports news channel in the UK. 

Bottom line is Barca will need to pay at least double a clubs own valuation of a player to pull anyone from an EPL club unless it's an end of contract situation.

I'm not sure they could afford it. Especially if they're gonna be splunking for Neymar in the summer

Archived