talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leicester 2-2 Chelsea - Saturday 1st February, 2020

football forum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Embarrassing display of football and it's bad news for the Premier League if the 3rd and 4th best teams produce football like that. It's no mystery as to why Liverpool are literally running away with the league. 

Happy with the point, but my god the same issues were there. Leicester were there for the taking and in typical fashion we mentally surrendered the game. There are so many issues everywhere. 

1 goal from open play in 4 Premier League matches. 

• Administrator

Well that got eventful. 

How Barnes missed that chance I do not know. Could have been the winner. 

Disappointed we've not won that given the position we were in and let them in to it. Ironic they score from 2 set pieces when that was an area they're weak at defensively. 

Was the handball checked by VAR at the end? Nothing in the stadium to say so..? Not seen it back so not sure how close it was to be a penalty. 

We didn't lose which is a plus as that would have put pressure on the players with a 5 point gap. 

Chelsea's midfield looks an absolute mess. Mount doing nothing, always looks rushed, losing possession constantly, Kante running at lot but that's about it, Jorginho exposed in transitions and caught in dangerous areas time and time again. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Was the handball checked by VAR at the end? Nothing in the stadium to say so..? Not seen it back so not sure how close it was to be a penalty. 

I didn't see anything to indicate it was checked so the referee might have just said play on?

3 minutes ago, DNA said:

Chelsea's midfield looks an absolute mess. Mount doing nothing, always looks rushed, losing possession constantly, Kante running at lot but that's about it, Jorginho exposed in transitions and caught in dangerous areas time and time again. 

It's extremely unbalanced. A run of inconsistency started when Lampard shoe horned Kante back into the side after he returned from injury, ruining a good run of games where a combo of Kovacic, Mount, and Jorginho were unplayable at times. 

Lampard trying to 'make a point' by playing Barkley at ST instead of Batshuayi was nonsense. Why was he in the team sheet then and why wasn't Giroud? Matter of fact its silly hearing him state we need a ST when Giroud's hold up and link up play would've been beneficial. 

Nonetheless, if that is 3rd and 4th quality, this is a very weak Premier League. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Mel81x said:

I didn't see anything to indicate it was checked so the referee might have just said play on?

Nah play carried on for a few seconds then their player got injured. There was nothing to suggest VAR was being checked even with the stoppage in play. And if it wasn't checked, why not? 

10 minutes ago, Stan said:

Nah play carried on for a few seconds then their player got injured. There was nothing to suggest VAR was being checked even with the stoppage in play. And if it wasn't checked, why not? 

It was checked. Not a penalty. 

• The title was changed to Leicester 2-2 Chelsea - Saturday 1st February, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned
  • Subscriber

Thought it was a very odd game all considered but it did of course end in the draw that I fully expected. I feel like we probably could've won that though based on some of the chances. In some ways it wasn't too dissimilar to the game in August where they had the 1st half and we had the 2nd.

I thought it was one of those games that was entertaining but really lacking in a lot of quality. I feel like both teams should be around 6th and 7th and looking to make the next steps towards being top teams but strangely we're sat 3rd and 4th. Maybe that's harsh but I see a lot of room for improvement in both sides.

Vardy looks a bit off the pace and I think the two week break is likely to do him some good actually. Perez had one of his best games in a Leicester shirt however, and Barnes is really starting to get to grips with things now - that's something like his 4th goal in 6 games? That's the productivity I wanted to see.

It's just a shame we look to have really lost our defensive solidarity. Both teams were shamefully bad at defending set pieces today. Why the fuck is Chilwell on Rudiger?

Neither team will be unhappy with how today panned out though - both came through a banana skin game without anything gained on them from those below, bar Sheffield United who I think it's simply disrespectful to not put them in the discussion at this point.

The first half was okay i guess we tried do to well and perhaps surprised Leicester a bit in the start. In the second we took the lead and allowed Leicester to play who scored twice on a bounce. I was certain we were dead and buried at that point but a really good header from Rudiger settled the point. Leicester had chances through Evans and Barns to kill the game off but missed sitters, especially Barns. Maybe overall a draw was a fair result, but didn't feel we played well and the defense with Rudiger - Christensen partnership is a disaster. Christensen was a mistake waiting to happen, the lad was all over the place our worst defender in this team with a single doubt.

Next two league games could define our season in the league with United and Spurs home on a bounce.

• Subscriber

In terms of chances I definitely think we probably ought to have won the game but you can't be so inept at defending set pieces and deserve a great deal anyway, for Rudiger to be able to score twice is piss poor. We've really lost a bit of that solidarity about us I think, wasn't long ago we had the best defence in the league - think it took until mid December for us to go into double figures for goals conceded now we're on something like 26.

Harvey Barnes has had a great start to 2020, 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 6 games in all competitions. I've always felt he's not that far away from being good but he is frustratingly wasteful at times too. His record is becoming quite respectable for a first full season though, I like him.

I don't think him or Perez are poor players but I do think we still lack that player with a real X-factor, but it's probably easy to be hard on our wingers when we were treated to years of Mahrez.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

In terms of chances I definitely think we probably ought to have won the game but you can't be so inept at defending set pieces and deserve a great deal anyway, for Rudiger to be able to score twice is piss poor. We've really lost a bit of that solidarity about us I think, wasn't long ago we had the best defence in the league - think it took until mid December for us to go into double figures for goals conceded now we're on something like 26.

Harvey Barnes has had a great start to 2020, 4 goals and 3 assists in his last 6 games in all competitions. I've always felt he's not that far away from being good but he is frustratingly wasteful at times too. His record is becoming quite respectable for a first full season though, I like him.

I don't think him or Perez are poor players but I do think we still lack that player with a real X-factor, but it's probably easy to be hard on our wingers when we were treated to years of Mahrez.

I think as well, after seeing on FT, when you stack them up against actual wingers, they're really not doing too badly. I think we (as a collective fanbase) are incredibly harsh when our own players arent' 100% firing for 100% of the games we play.

Barnes has the same amount of assists as Mo Salah and Mane, for instance, and look at how many their team scores and just attacks in general...

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think as well, after seeing on FT, when you stack them up against actual wingers, they're really not doing too badly. I think we (as a collective fanbase) are incredibly harsh when our own players arent' 100% firing for 100% of the games we play.

Barnes has the same amount of assists as Mo Salah and Mane, for instance, and look at how many their team scores and just attacks in general...

The problem with ours is that they're too prone to being completely shut out of a game, both Barnes and Perez have had games, often the same ones where they've been totally ineffectual.

You've got to be fair though in recent weeks, despite the clamouring for a winger (which I've been a part of) they are producing a lot more than not only the central midfielders, but Vardy as well. Vardy hasn't scored since before Christmas.

I think if we had upgrades on Albrighton and Gray, players who could start games regularly then we'd have a lovely selection of wingers but right now I still see it as a bit of a weakness. Perez has good numbers to be fair to him but I do think he seems to prop them up with inconsistency (did he get something like 3 goals and 2 assists at Southampton?) and there've been a lot of games where the game just totally bypassed him.

It's a shame Gray's no good. He's the style of player I think we're lacking but he's just not good enough and never will be. I'd imagine Gray is sold this summer.

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Watching this game right now and not realizing at first that it's a re-run, despite it being broad daylight at the match. I'm not a smart man. 

Can we have updates please?

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

VAR should have checked Rüderiger's handball. 

And I'm watching Bochum vs. Hamburg now. Pretty sure that's actually live. :35_thinking:

How did we play?

Also, same. Not much going on...

Archived