• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Tottenham 2-0 Man City - Sunday 2nd February, 2020

football forum

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Media will twist it as if it's Mourinho's 2nd coming. Forgetting he shithoused his way to 3 points and the fact City could've been 3-0 up before the sending off. 

Mourinho shithousisng his way to victory as big underdogs is arguably as old school for Jose as it gets. I remember the shithousing Porto getting passed United in the CL as probably the most shithousing side I’d ever seen

• Subscriber

Sums up the season. Liverpool keep finding ways to win even when they're not at their best, Man City keep finding ways not to win when they should.

It's actually nice that the title is such a foregone conclusion. Man City's ownership stand for some truly awful things but whenever they've been in title contention with Liverpool I can't quite bring myself to put my moral objections to their regime ahead of my partisan objections to Liverpool winning the league. However, now that the toothpaste is well and truly out of the tube, I can enjoy the misfortune of these nasty plastics.

1 hour ago, JOSHBRFC said:

Anything but City scoring 3 goals and i'm happy. I run a game at work where if you get to 21 goals you win the pot... a woman has City on 18. A quid a team a week and we're nearly into the 8th week. Big pot!

tH9VmFj.png

Nice use of Macro's. ;)

Come on Spurs.... scrape a nice 1-0 win.

Great idea, I like that.

Spurs have shithoused the win there no question, but it's not their fault City have been so incompetent in finishing. Literally felt like what it's been for us of late. City could have won that game twice.

City blew far too many chances. Aguero hit the post with essentially a one on one, put one wide from a few yards out, Gundogan missed from the spot, which was a dreadful penalty to be fair, and also ballooned over after City were four on one in the box. These are golden chances.

Sterling should have gone IMO. It's a dangerous one and they sent off Aubameyang for one the other week, he has to go for that. Ankle breaker.

The two mins of play between the foul on Aguero and penalty awarded was obviously laughable. Definite penalty though.

Lloris is off his line when Gundogan takes the penalty. It HAS to be retaken surely? Weird how VAR cannot be used to rectify this.

If Lloris doesn't bring down Sterling, they are essentially saying it's a dive and have to book him thus meaning red card. If not, it's surely another penalty? 

I think so much happened in quick succession they struggled to get a grip of the situation at all.

It summed it up for me that Mahrez took an awful corner which led to Zinchenko's sending off. City shot themselves in the foot, plain and simple.

Spurs have hung in there and nicked a win. Fair play to them, not great to watch but they have sacrificed style for substance and it's slowly paying off.

I do like that Lo Celso though. Very tidy on the ball, doesn't panic. They should try get him a little bit more advanced if they can where he can hurt defences.

It will feel like an absolute mugging and it was, but City have been like this all year. Just not as clinical as Liverpool.

• The title was changed to Tottenham 2-0 Man City - Sunday 2nd February, 2020
  • Administrator

Listened to this on 5 Live.

Sounded like a fantastic game in terms of entertainment, not so much evenly matches throughout the game. Man City sounded like they should have had about 4 goals before Spurs scored as well as a man down (they said Sterling's challenge was 'nasty'.

The VAR incident for the penalty - I obvs haven't watched and only going by what 5 Live were saying during the game but is the reason it took 2 minutes & 8 seconds (as they confirmed) for the penalty to be given because the ball didn't go out until that time after the incident? VAR isn't instructed to stop play - it's meant to make the decision when the ball goes out of play. Can someone confirm if the ball did go out in those 128 seconds as the commentators didn't mention it? It appears that VAR had clearly looked at it in that time and as soon as the ball went out it was pretty much instant that Mike Dean was told to give a penalty? Reminder I've only listened on radio; not watched it back...

The other thing they touched on and potentially the reason Man City lost the game wasn't to do with just missing chances but the distinct lack of leadership across the side - they have the talent with some world class talent but who's leading them & who's directing them? Who's grabbing the players/team/game by the scruff of the neck and churning out results either when not playing well or dominating games and killing teams off? Since losing Kompany they appear to have lost that ability along with his character on the pitch.

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

Is he English? Been impressed with him today and in the Liverpool game.

He looks great tbh. I imagine when you’re as young as him and Jose thinks you’re good enough to start against the best attacks in our league... that’s got to say something. When a manager behind some legendary defenses and defensive performances sees you’ve got what it takes to play well against the best, you’ve probably got the makings of a brilliant defender.

I think he’s gonna be a great defender 

3 hours ago, Danny said:

City should not be losing this game...just not happening with Kompany in defence

They miss his grit and leadership profoundly.

3 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I dont want to sound over "this is our year"

But I think this is our year :D

Don't go getting ahead of yourself mate it's still too close to call. 🙂

3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Spurs have shithoused the win there no question, but it's not their fault City have been so incompetent in finishing. Literally felt like what it's been for us of late. City could have won that game twice.

City blew far too many chances. Aguero hit the post with essentially a one on one, put one wide from a few yards out, Gundogan missed from the spot, which was a dreadful penalty to be fair, and also ballooned over after City were four on one in the box. These are golden chances.

Sterling should have gone IMO. It's a dangerous one and they sent off Aubameyang for one the other week, he has to go for that. Ankle breaker.

The two mins of play between the foul on Aguero and penalty awarded was obviously laughable. Definite penalty though.

Lloris is off his line when Gundogan takes the penalty. It HAS to be retaken surely? Weird how VAR cannot be used to rectify this.

If Lloris doesn't bring down Sterling, they are essentially saying it's a dive and have to book him thus meaning red card. If not, it's surely another penalty? 

I think so much happened in quick succession they struggled to get a grip of the situation at all.

It summed it up for me that Mahrez took an awful corner which led to Zinchenko's sending off. City shot themselves in the foot, plain and simple.

Spurs have hung in there and nicked a win. Fair play to them, not great to watch but they have sacrificed style for substance and it's slowly paying off.

I do like that Lo Celso though. Very tidy on the ball, doesn't panic. They should try get him a little bit more advanced if they can where he can hurt defences.

It will feel like an absolute mugging and it was, but City have been like this all year. Just not as clinical as Liverpool.

Maybe against more conventional defences, but against a high-pressing team like City I thought he was brilliant from deep. Constantly managed to turn under pressure and play smart passes into the attacking midfielders. 

• Subscriber
7 hours ago, Stan said:

The VAR incident for the penalty - I obvs haven't watched and only going by what 5 Live were saying during the game but is the reason it took 2 minutes & 8 seconds (as they confirmed) for the penalty to be given because the ball didn't go out until that time after the incident? VAR isn't instructed to stop play - it's meant to make the decision when the ball goes out of play. Can someone confirm if the ball did go out in those 128 seconds as the commentators didn't mention it? It appears that VAR had clearly looked at it in that time and as soon as the ball went out it was pretty much instant that Mike Dean was told to give a penalty? Reminder I've only listened on radio; not watched it back...

I thought they'd review it once the ball went out but when the presenters were talking to an ex ref he told them that VAR can intervene when the ball reaches a neutral position in the game. I am assuming that the ball going out is the most common occurrence of this so they make decisions then but in this case it occurred when the ball left the Spurs half and was about to be rotated back in. VAR had already made its decision by then and the ref was just waiting to see when it would go out and that never happened so he stopped the game when he did and gave the penalty.

the summer is when a focus needs to be there to get a better defence. it's the clear issue and why we will struggle against top teams in Europe as we can leak goals...laporte needs to play for us to keep clean sheets which shouldn't be the case for one player.

Madrid coming up who defend well will be interesting. CL is the only thing that matters now the league is gone.

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Lucas said:

Great idea, I like that.

I’d run one on here if people wanted. Quid a week nice little pot towards the end. I just imagine it would be a lot harder on here than it is in real life xD

3 hours ago, JOSHBRFC said:

I’d run one on here if people wanted. Quid a week nice little pot towards the end. I just imagine it would be a lot harder on here than it is in real life xD

Great idea but in reality, you don't want to be chasing up people for a quid each week. You'd be better to get people to whack a tenner in a time if it was online.

So how do you decide who gets what team? Is it drawn or first come first served?

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Lucas said:

Great idea but in reality, you don't want to be chasing up people for a quid each week. You'd be better to get people to whack a tenner in a time if it was online.

So how do you decide who gets what team? Is it drawn or first come first served?

Just randomly picked out of a hat. I choose 20 teams who are scoring well at the time. Sometimes do all European leagues. Thing is, if you go above 21 you bust,  has to be 21 exactly. But yes online it would be easier getting a 5er or a tenner to begin with. Most it’s ever gone on for for me is 11 weeks... never usually gets to 10. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived