talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365's Favourite British, Irish and "Former Territories of the British Empire" Players

football forum

I'm stealing Vader's idea because I can, and I will. Given this is an Anglophone forum, I figure most people are familar with the Premier League and players from the English speaking world. It's more interesting including the 'colonies' given their superior peoples, cultures, and more often than not weather. It is funny what a few resourceful rapscallions can make with the dregs of British """Culture""" and language.  We'll skip the USA because they started a war to not be a part of these lists. And I think it is stupid not to contain players like Dwight York and Timmy Cahill.

PM me or just post your favourite three players here, DILIGAF, maybe in a week I'll compile the list, who knows?

1. Timmy Cahill
2. Frank Lampard
3. Mark Schwarzer

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steven Gerrard - best player I've ever seen play for Liverpool. One of the most well rounded midfielders ever, probably - the number of times managers asked him to adapt his game and play a different midfield role is pretty mental.

Jamie Carragher - not the best defender we've ever had in my lifetime (Hyypia & Virgil exist)… but an incredible defender for us. And like Stevie, a true leader.

Robbie Fowler - my favourite player ever. His nickname is "God" for a reason

Joe Cole always had that flair for the spectacular but injuries and playing for pragmatic managers really took the dramatic edge off his game. Out of the 'English Golden Generation' I feel like Cole and Wayne Rooney were the two that had the style drilled out of them by their managers, and were just simply told to 'keep it simple, stupid'. Speaking of Rooney, when was still very young, when he was on his game, he was dynamite and far cry from what he ended his career playing like.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Who the fuck is Dwayne de Rosario?

Canada's best ever player until recent times. Now that we have Davies and David he's going to be overtaken very soon. I haven't forgotten though that he was Canada's only good player during the time we were as bad as Estonia. Very good in the MLS too.

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

That is funny, he isn't very popular in Australia but I'm glad you like him.

Why isn't he very popular in Australia?

I was so excited when he joined us. He was fucking great at Leeds. Sadly, injury issues were most of the story of his Liverpool career - though he did play pretty well in the season after we won the CL with Rafa and I thought "oh yes! he's back!" and then he'd continue to struggle with injury after that. Bit of a shame how that panned out.

Here's a Fowler video:

apologies if it's got shit music, my computer is on mute right now so no idea what the sound is like.

*edit* the original video was shite - so I put a better one in

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Why isn't he very popular in Australia?

I was so excited when he joined us. He was fucking great at Leeds. Sadly, injury issues were most of the story of his Liverpool career - though he did play pretty well in the season after we won the CL with Rafa and I thought "oh yes! he's back!" and then he'd continue to struggle with injury after that. Bit of a shame how that panned out.

Here's a Fowler video:

apologies if it's got shit music, my computer is on mute right now so no idea what the sound is like.

He fucked off to Turkey after Liverpool despite his obvious talent and arrogance.
He joined Melbourne Victory, not problems with that, but you could tell he thought he'd walk the league like he is hot shit. He didn't, was mediocre, and fucked off.
He left after one season to play in Saudi Arabia for a months to pick up a quick cheque.
Joined Melbourne Victory's arch-rivals and cross-city rivals Melbourne Heart after a couple of games earning slave/oil money.

Also he spent most of his career in England, it'd be like England idolising Bobby Charlton if he played across the world and nobody saw him play. No doubt the most talented played Australia has ever seen but his legacy isnt' compared to players like Tim Cahill or Mark Schwarzer both of whom spent a lot of time in England as well but played through into the years the Premier League was more accessible to Australians.

8 minutes ago, Vader said:

He is Kiwi M8

You have to Australian or a Kiwi to understand the where the definitions lie. He is from Bathurst for Christ's sake and supports the Melbourne Demons. He may as well be driving a Holden Ute with a Unit sticker on the back window. And NZ counts anyway, you goofball.

Just now, Spike said:

You have to Australian or a Kiwi to understand the where the definitions lie. He is from Bathurst for Christ's sake and supports the Melbourne Devils. He may as well be driving a Holden Ute with a Unit sticker on the back window.

Of course, he also chose to play for Australia which isn't always telling but can definitely mean he identifies with them instead of New Zealand.

I just say that to trigger Aussies. Kind of like when I tell Canadians that Jonathan David is American cos he was born in New York xD

1 minute ago, Spike said:

He fucked off to Turkey after Liverpool despite his obvious talent and arrogance.
He joined Melbourne Victory, not problems with that, but you could tell he thought he'd walk the league like he is hot shit. He didn't, was mediocre, and fucked off.
He left after one season to play in Saudi Arabia for a months to pick up a quick cheque.
Joined Melbourne Victory's arch-rivals and cross-city rivals Melbourne Heart after a couple of games earning slave/oil money.

Also he spent most of his career in England, it'd be like England idolising Bobby Charlton if he played across the world and nobody saw him play. No doubt the most talented played Australia has ever seen but his legacy isnt' compared to players like Tim Cahill or Mark Schwarzer both of whom spent a lot of time in England as well but played through into the years the Premier League was more accessible to Australians.

Wait, but what's wrong with moving to Turkey? It's not that bad of a league and plenty of players go there after time at bigger clubs in Europe when they're physically passed their best. And by the time he left us... he was well passed his physical peak, what with all of the injuries he suffered through with us.

The other moves though after Turkey, I can understand why he'd not be popular after returning to Australia like that. Even if it's not the best league, you'd think a guy who's body was not letting him play at the highest level would work hard and do his best - I'm assuming Australia's league's pretty physical like the MLS; so it might not be the best place for someone to move to when they're on their literal last legs (which I imagine he was after he'd left Turkey, I don't think he physically had much left in the tank after he left us in all honesty - regardless of how much talent he had).

It's a job though, so I don't blame him too much for cashing in on the talent in his younger days and treating the tail end of his career like a paid traveling retirement. My favourite player, Fowler, did the same shite tbh. But I can understand how that wouldn't endear him to the people who are fans of the league he's joined.

6 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Why not? I really liked the early 2000s Leeds teams. Viduka, Kewell, Smith, it was a nice side to watch. 

There is a Australian cultural quirk that pretty much goes 'I don't like the look of him' or 'He is a soft-cunt'. Aside from what I mentioned earlier, you could also apply those.

Archived