talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

TF365's Favourite British, Irish and "Former Territories of the British Empire" Players

football forum

1 minute ago, Vader said:

Of course, he also chose to play for Australia which isn't always telling but can definitely mean he identifies with them instead of New Zealand.

I just say that to trigger Aussies. Kind of like when I tell Canadians that Jonathan David is American cos he was born in New York xD

It's not really triggering because of Archie Thompson but more because of the residual arguements it can bring up. There always seems to be an arguement of whom is from where, in Rugby League for instance there has been many controversies concernign the 'origin' of players from NSW or QLD in the big State of Origin games.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Vader said:

Canada's best ever player until recent times. Now that we have Davies and David he's going to be overtaken very soon. I haven't forgotten though that he was Canada's only good player during the time we were as bad as Estonia. Very good in the MLS too.

Unpopular opinion: Owen Hargreaves is the best Canadian player. He just never played for Canada, because he's a twat.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Wait, but what's wrong with moving to Turkey? It's not that bad of a league and plenty of players go there after time at bigger clubs in Europe when they're physically passed their best. And by the time he left us... he was well passed his physical peak, what with all of the injuries he suffered through with us.

The other moves though after Turkey, I can understand why he'd not be popular after returning to Australia like that. Even if it's not the best league, you'd think a guy who's body was not letting him play at the highest level would work hard and do his best - I'm assuming Australia's league's pretty physical like the MLS; so it might not be the best place for someone to move to when they're on their literal last legs (which I imagine he was after he'd left Turkey, I don't think he physically had much left in the tank after he left us in all honesty - regardless of how much talent he had).

It's a job though, so I don't blame him too much for cashing in on the talent in his younger days and treating the tail end of his career like a paid traveling retirement. My favourite player, Fowler, did the same shite tbh. But I can understand how that wouldn't endear him to the people who are fans of the league he's joined.

I don't think anyone begrudges him earning the money but to leave for Saudi Arabia of all places, and then to return a few months later to a direct rival is pretty pathetic. How would you like it if players treated Liverpool like a retirement home cheque and then did the same to Everton? Or vice-versa, it is insulting even given the league's quality.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Unpopular opinion: Owen Hargreaves is the best Canadian player. He just never played for Canada, because he's a twat.

Oh yeah - he's seen as a traitor here. Tomori seemed to follow in Hargreaves' footsteps.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That is like saying that Christian Vieri is Australia's best ever player.

Just now, Spike said:

I don't think anyone begrudges him earning the money but to leave for Saudi Arabia of all places, and then to return a few months later to a direct rival is pretty pathetic. How would you like it if players treated Liverpool like a retirement home cheque and then did the same to Everton? Or vice-versa, it is insulting even given the league's quality.

It's for sure insulting to do that - and I fully understand any fans that hate him because of that. Shame because he's my favourite Australian player as well... but that is 100% cunty behavior

Think any player owes it to their club that's paying them to put forth as much effort as they physically can when they're out on the pitch. Especially as it was his first time ever playing in his home nation.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

That is like saying that Christian Vieri is Australia's best ever player.

Owen Hargreaves lived in England for the first time ever in his life in 2007. He was already an England international at that point. Vieri was born in Italy, moved to Australia as a kid, then moved back to Italy. It's a bit different.

I get his dad's English and his mum's Welsh. But he chose to represent the side that would give him the best chance of playing at international competitions, rather than represent the side of the country he actually grew up in. I think that's a bit shitheaded of him. 

It's for sure insulting to do that - and I fully understand any fans that hate him because of that. Shame because he's my favourite Australian player as well... but that is 100% cunty behavior

Think any player owes it to their club that's paying them to put forth as much effort as they physically can when they're out on the pitch. Especially as it was his first time ever playing in his home nation.

I think it wouldn't have been half as bad if he just skipped straight to Melbourne Heart form Victory, at least there is some sincerity there.

Owen Hargreaves lived in England for the first time ever in his life in 2007. He was already an England international at that point. Vieri was born in Italy, moved to Australia as a kid, then moved back to Italy. It's a bit different.

I get his dad's English and his mum's Welsh. But he chose to represent the side that would give him the best chance of playing at international competitions, rather than represent the side of the country he actually grew up in. I think that's a bit shitheaded of him. 

Some players prefer playing for the better sides, but yeah that doesn't make him any less of a shithead.

I think I would be eligible for England if I was a player through my grandparents. Even if I was world class, I would pick Peru all day long because that's who I identify with.

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah but look at Vieri. He looks like a bogan straight out of The Shire, he looks so disgustingly working-class Australian it makes my head spin, the only thing missing is a southern-cross tattoo on his pec and a Thooeys stubby in his hand. His nickname is 'Bobo' for fucks sake xD That is like every third Italian-Australian's nickname. This bloke would have played for the Australian cricket team if he didn't move to Italy, and his bloody brother did play for the Socceroos a couple of times. 

Christian Vieri - Christian Vieri Hits The Beach In Miami

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

I think it wouldn't have been half as bad if he just skipped straight to Melbourne Heart form Victory, at least there is some sincerity there.

Personally, I think that's worse. If say Lallana went from Liverpool straight to Everton (or worse, United), I'd think he's an utter twat.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Personally, I think that's worse. If say Lallana went from Liverpool straight to Everton (or worse, United), I'd think he's an utter twat.

Better to maintain an illusion of competition than straight to the money.

Archived