talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Why Do People Dislike West Ham So Much?

I’ve always felt it odd the amount of people who seem to passionately dislike West Ham, particularly outside of London? I’ve had my own experiences with some of the nasty side of the fanbase but all clubs have them. They just seem to be a medium sized club with a loyal fanbase, can’t see any reason to dislike them? No more than say Southampton or West Brom. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Always felt like they have an air of arrogance about them with nothing to show for it. Think the dislike also is pointed towards their owners and that clearly wasn't helped with the move to the Olympic stadium.

They seem to have just become a bit stale in the Premier League, too. Since they came up in 2011 or 2012 (?) they've had possibly one good season to get them in to Europe, and then even then were a bit of an embarrassment once getting there.

Not sure if it's even dislike to be honest - just that they're a bit boring now?

• The title was changed to Why Do People Dislike West Ham So Much?
  • Subscriber
10 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

I’ve always felt it odd the amount of people who seem to passionately dislike West Ham, particularly outside of London? I’ve had my own experiences with some of the nasty side of the fanbase but all clubs have them. They just seem to be a medium sized club with a loyal fanbase, can’t see any reason to dislike them? No more than say Southampton or West Brom. 

Best to put hate in your thread title, I don't like Moyes but I don't hate the Hammers as my late dad was a Hammers man God bless him and I don't like the owners either, the Hammes have never been the same since they moved from Upton Park, a bit like Arsenal when they moved from Highbury. 

Not a UK person, but what I've absorbed from following from afar and online....

1. West ham fans are football snobs and

2. They don't know their place.

They continue to believe they should be better than they are, and playing the Arsene Wenger way, and yet you struggle to ever recall a time post-2000 when a West Ham side actually played in the manner the fans seem to expect.

It also seems to wear a bit thin and lead to everyone else in the UK having a position best summed up as "just shut up and fuck off".

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

The stadium move is surely a reason to feel sorry for them? Upton park was one of the great English grounds.

Depends if we're talking about disliking West Ham fans or West Ham as an entity as a club?

Regarding stadium move, I do feel sorry for them that they got moved from Upton Park. As a club, and therefore the owners and hierarchy etc, then you can understandably dislike them I would say.

Personally I feel there fans are ungrateful. No matter what project is put in place or how much money is invested in to them, it always feels like the fans are one game away from turning on the board. It must be a horrible environment for the players and coaching staff at times.

• Subscriber

I'm not particularly keen on them, but these days I feel sorry for their fans more than I dislike them. Their owners are horrid and the move to the Olympic Stadium has just been so hilariously unfortunate that it's impossible not to direct some scorn at their owners for that.

• Subscriber

Got to agree with it being about the fans. Remember when I worked at the Stadium of Light, we were playing West Ham one Saturday and their fans were just vile creatures. Definitely believe that their beloved Hammers are better than they actually are. 

For us older fans there's their opinion that West Ham won The 66 World  Cup and a feeling they didn't treat Bobby Moore right. For me their dealings with Kia Joorabchian and the "third party" ownership with Tevez and Mascherano turned me sour on a club that was always noted for integrity.  Through in the general distaste for their ownership and there is always something not to like.

Nah fuck 'em.

Jumped up gobby bunch of cockney cunts who love to dish it out and get above their station like they are 'elite'. They have done fuck all.

There doesn't ever seem to be a plan with West Ham to go forward. They paper over the cracks to survive the here and now and never progress as a club, despite spunking away ridiculous amounts of money and regurgitating through managers, and that is reflected off the field as well as on it.

I didn't like the whole Tevez and Mascherano thing. It was fucking off from the start and Sheffield United had a right to feel cheated out of staying up that season.

Not a fan of Big Sam but he actually did a solid job there and they were never grateful for it. They seemed to think they deserved a fucking Carlo Ancelotti or Jose Mourinho in charge. Deluded fucks.

And all this play the play the 'West Ham way' like they are Barcelona or something. It's a myth. For most the season's I've seen them since early PL days, they have mainly struggled. Been an absolute shit show to watch.

Fergie once said he didn't know what this 'West Ham way' was, other than them being a yo yo club. Not a fan of the bloke but he was bang on.

And to cap it all, I cannot stand Russell Brand, Danny Dyer, James Cordon or Harry Redknapp. Fuck 'em all and fuck West Ham.

10 hours ago, Spike said:

Probably that ghastly Green Street Hooligans film

Frodo Baggins as a genuine street thug? Get fucked. Same with Daniel Radcliffe in Imperium. I'm a smaller dude. 5'7 and 75kgs, and I love that Tom Cruise and that blonde singer dickhead fly the flag for shorter blokes, but Elija wood and Radcliffe should never be playing any 'physical' roles, as they're so fucking tiny it's unbelievable. They're both sub 170cm and 60kgs wet 

37 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Frodo Baggins as a genuine street thug? Get fucked. Same with Daniel Radcliffe in Imperium. I'm a smaller dude. 5'7 and 75kgs, and I love that Tom Cruise and that blonde singer dickhead fly the flag for shorter blokes, but Elija wood and Radcliffe should never be playing any 'physical' roles, as they're so fucking tiny it's unbelievable. They're both sub 170cm and 60kgs wet 

You don't have to be over 170cm to smack some drunk football fan over the head with a pint glass though. Well... as long as they aren't out of reach.

I've only ever seen the dislike on this forum. 

Personally from living daaaan sarf I've found West Ham fans typically to be more genuine and respectful than those of the more glory hunter base London clubs Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd. 

2 hours ago, Harvsky said:

I've only ever seen the dislike on this forum. 

Personally from living daaaan sarf I've found West Ham fans typically to be more genuine and respectful than those of the more glory hunter base London clubs Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Man Utd. 

This is pretty much my perspective, I don’t think people on this forum have met many West Ham fans, think most fans get upset with the West Ham won the World Cup/Tevez stuff and rightfully so. There is a sense of delusion in the West Ham way/the size of the club from some supporters but most know their place. Though it does come from the club consistently getting top 20 revenue in world football, but they’ve had shit owners after shit owners. From egghead to this current lot.

Obviously I supported West Ham growing up but have no real affinity now but a lot of fans who randomly dislike them are often hypocritical and purposely forgetful...imagine if West Ham and their fans defended the racist abuse from one footballer to another and even wore printed shirts in solidarity with said racist...you’d never hear the end of it 😂

I think part of it is to do with the ICF and how West Ham are perceived by modern fans.

Their fans should be rioting every game tbh, the heart and soul of their club was demolished so that the owners could make some £££ and they’re still in the same yoyo position as before 

Archived