talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Serie A 2019/20 - 23^ Giornata - [05/02 - 09/02]

football forum

What a crazy game tonight was. The first half had me nervous, Milan had total control of the midfield, and Inter's backline was confused, extremely sloppy, and just slow. I thought Milan did a great job pressing and with insecurity in the backline with Padelli. Sanchez was non-existent, Candreva looked slow, Godin looked outmatched against Ibra, and Conti looked like he was out of his realm against a less talented Milan side. The only positive was Lukaku had two runs where you knew that he was feeling good, but he needed the ball more to take advantage of the slower Milan defense. Both goals I blame Padelli on, as he looked shaky and unable to commit to anything. 

Then the second half came and Brozovic obviously started it off perfect with his long shot that found the back of the net, and it was clear that Inter came out with a different determination to take the pace and game to Milan. The passes were crisper, the defense was in sync, and everyone played much better. I had just slowed down my celebration from Brozovic's goal, and then Vecino scored a goal that I was shocked was called offside. Somehow the ref let the play carry on, and VAR did confirm that Sanchez was not offside, and the goal stood. I was absolutely floored and very impressed with the refs to not blow the play dead as let VAR do what VAR is supposed to do. 

And then the header off the corner. de Vrij has become such a force with his header, and to go that low and direct the ball like that is just absolutely brilliant. 

Then Conti made the move that I was waiting for, Sanchez off, and  Erikson on. And within a short amount of time, Erikson had a FK that just so close hit the post and bounced away. Then shortly after that Barella had the break away that he was unable to convert, and I just had a feeling that AC were going to score and make it a 3-3 game, but still Inter pressed and pressed. But then I thought my fear came true, but AC hit the post off an open header, which was quickly cleared. 

And as we passed 90 minutes, Inter did the smart thing and just went into the corner and try to kill the clock, but as Milan players surrounded the ball, Moses found himself the recipient of a pass, to which he just flicked into the air right to Lukaku who slotted it in the bottom left corner to make it 4-2 Inter. 

Absolutely a great win for this team. Especially since Hando and Martinez were unavailable. Both of which should be back next week when Inter travel to 3rd place Lazio. 

Also, the scenes from the locker room when Lukaku joined were insane. I am so happy for him and the partnership he had developed with LM. You could tell when he scored how much it meant to him, the fans, and to LM up in the stands. 

This was probably the 2nd best Milan derby I have seen, as nothing will likely beat the best, that I was so lucky to be at back during my Christmas break in 2005 with Adriano scored in extra time to beat AC Milan 3-2. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great derby, in the first half Inter looked dead and buried. In the second they looked like a team reborn and the two quick goals for the equalizer was Milan's downfall. I was just waiting when Inter would get the third it was obvious Milan was in a meltdown. Good game for the neutrals exciting.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived