Kirk Douglas Dies Aged 103

football forum

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, nudge said:

Love Spartacus

I have watched that film over and over again, the end bit where the Roman General Crassus after the final battle wanted to know who Spartacus was and when Kirk stood up and said "I am Spartacus" all the rest including Tony Curtis as Antoninus stood up and said one after the other "I am Spartacus", that's when Crassus crucified the lot of them and seeing one of my favourite female actresses in Jean Simmons as Varinia looking at Spartacus on the cross with a tears in her eyes bought a lump to my throat.

• The title was changed to Kirk Douglas Dies Aged 103
  • Subscriber

Quote.thumb.png.4b245779605c4a8aaac16eb0e320bf46.png

How Kirk Douglas helped break the Hollywood blacklist

There was one problem when Kirk Douglas saw the original script for the 1960 film Spartacus.

It wasn't very good.

The actor, who died on Wednesday aged 103, had optioned the rights to Howard Fast's novel - and the film would go on to become Douglas's best-known movie.

The star originally enlisted the author to adapt his own work for the big screen, but Fast was not used to writing screenplays and struggled with the format.

Douglas urgently needed someone to rescue the script before the historical epic went into production.

That sparked a sequence of events which helped end the so-called Hollywood blacklist - the 1950s ban on scriptwriters and film-makers with alleged communist sympathies.

FULL REPORT

Archived