talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Clubs Vote To Revert Back to Old Transfer Deadline

Premier League clubs have voted to change date of summer Transfer Window to fall into line with other major European leagues.

Transfer Deadline Day will now revert, with the deadline now September 1 instead of the Thursday prior to the opening day of the season.

source: Sky Sports

• The title was changed to Premier League Clubs Vote To Revert Back to Old Transfer Deadline
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Good. I wasn't a fan of it finishing early when the rest of Europe still had opportunities to buy players for a few more weeks without the option of PL clubs replacing them from abroad. 

• Subscriber

I actually think this is a backwards step. The window ending before the season was a good thing - particularly for clubs like us that like to leave their business until the last minute. Shame they've felt pressured in reverting to the old system

1 hour ago, Storts said:

I actually think this is a backwards step. The window ending before the season was a good thing - particularly for clubs like us that like to leave their business until the last minute. Shame they've felt pressured in reverting to the old system

I agree with this now once again you will fear that a key player might leave on the deadline day, or worse that you sign a player without him being in pre season.

• Subscriber

Yeah but at least you know your squad for the year as of the first game. Having a three week window after the season with an incomplete squad is awful. Obviously some of the blame goes on the chairmen etc but i think we were right and Europe was wrong on this - and how many big players did we see poached by European clubs in that period last year?

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, Storts said:

and how many big players did we see poached by European clubs in that period last year?

according to BBC, big players to move:

Sanchez - Man Utd to Inter (although he was out of favour at Man Utd anyway)
Romelu Lukaku - Man Utd to Inter (again, out of favour, wanted to leave)

So 2 big transfers and perhaps a few others but not as big and players were out-of-favour/wanted to leave anyway - Slimani (loan to Monaco), Sturridge (Liverpool to Trabzonspor loan), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal to Sociedad), Zappacosta (to Roma on loan), 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/49190467

I wouldn't say that's too many big transfers at all. 

2 hours ago, Storts said:

It’s better for clubs like Spurs to have it end a few games in, drives up prices and desperation on player sales 

I thought it was a bad idea to move it in the first place, made doubly so by the fact that we did it out of step with the rest of Europe.

Having a few weeks to bring in reinforcements after assessing your squad in competitive action is a good thing, and preseason doesn't really cut the mustard in that respect. Especially not with players arriving back late from international tournaments most summers.

At any rate, there's nothing stopping teams from not buying players after the season starts if they want a set squad from day one

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Danny said:

It’s better for clubs like Spurs to have it end a few games in, drives up prices and desperation on player sales 

It isn’t. We need players in early and to settle. Leaving our buying until three games into the season never works. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Better for £££ when selling players though

Hasn't proven to be that way. And that doesn't benefit us as a club anywhere near as much as having players in earlier and settled. 

Just now, Storts said:

Hasn't proven to be that way. And that doesn't benefit us as a club anywhere near as much as having players in earlier and settled. 

In fairness you’ve not been the selling club recently that you used to be

• Subscriber

Bottled it. I can't believe anyone thinks that it makes more sense to have the transfer window close in the middle of the first part of the season. It's idiotic. And this tripe about players getting sold after the deadline to Europe and not being able to replace them is also silly. Can anyone give me one significant example of that happening? Premier League clubs refuse to sell players because they don't have time to get a replacement even when the transfer windows are synced up, all they have to do is say no, or get their shit together and if a player wants out, sort it before the season starts.

Granted, it was silly to go on their own path here. They should have tried to come to an agreement with the German, Italian, Spanish and French FAs to all agree to do it together before trying it. But now that they've messed it up and it looks like they've admitted they were wrong, it won't change for the foreseeable future. Well played, chaps.

39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Bottled it. I can't believe anyone thinks that it makes more sense to have the transfer window close in the middle of the first part of the season. It's idiotic. And this tripe about players getting sold after the deadline to Europe and not being able to replace them is also silly. Can anyone give me one significant example of that happening? Premier League clubs refuse to sell players because they don't have time to get a replacement even when the transfer windows are synced up, all they have to do is say no, or get their shit together and if a player wants out, sort it before the season starts.

Granted, it was silly to go on their own path here. They should have tried to come to an agreement with the German, Italian, Spanish and French FAs to all agree to do it together before trying it. But now that they've messed it up and it looks like they've admitted they were wrong, it won't change for the foreseeable future. Well played, chaps.

Slight issue here, the German league starts usually one week after the English, can't see a single German  club being prepared to finish their transfers before the league starts just to do the English clubs a favor.

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Slight issue here, the German league starts usually one week after the English, can't see a single German  club being prepared to finish their transfers before the league starts just to do the English clubs a favor.

It's not just to do the English clubs a favour. I'm not looking up which leagues start when because it doesn't matter. They should set a deadline before any of the major leagues kick off and stick to it across Europe. The end of July instead of the end of August would make sense. If you told them they had to, all clubs could get their business done in the space of a week. Giving them the entirety of June and July would be ample time and wouldn't be disruptive to anyone's season. The line drawn at the end of August is already completely arbitrary. Why August? It's a completely illogical time to do so. Better to draw an arbitrary line at the end of July during pre-season than to draw one in the actual season.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not just to do the English clubs a favour. I'm not looking up which leagues start when because it doesn't matter. They should set a deadline before any of the major leagues kick off and stick to it across Europe. The end of July instead of the end of August would make sense. If you told them they had to, all clubs could get their business done in the space of a week. Giving them the entirety of June and July would be ample time and wouldn't be disruptive to anyone's season. The line drawn at the end of August is already completely arbitrary. Why August? It's a completely illogical time to do so. Better to draw an arbitrary line at the end of July during pre-season than to draw one in the actual season.

One month is as good as the other, you already have an arbitrary line. Why change, other for it to be before the English season starts? If the English clubs want it to be so they can start their season in September. Not enough time to play all games? Well scrap, the League cup, scrap FA Cup replays, reduce the league, or combine some of this meassures. Surely that's the way to act instead to suggest all the other big leagues should go out their usual way in order for English clubs to get what they want without having to go out of their usual way.

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

One month is as good as the other, you already have an arbitrary line. Why change, other for it to be before the English season starts? If the English clubs want it to be so they can start their season in September. Not enough time to play all games? Well scrap, the League cup, scrap FA Cup replays, reduce the league, or combine some of this meassures. Surely that's the way to act instead to suggest all the other big leagues should go out their usual way in order for English clubs to get what they want without having to go out of their usual way.

You're being paranoid about this being an argument over whether it benefits English clubs or not.

I shouldn't need to explain that having an arbitrary line in July would allow all clubs from all nations to go into the season knowing who they've got until January. Having an arbitrary line in August means that the off season is still going on while the season has started for all clubs. It's just silly.

Nothing to do with who wins out. I couldn't even have told you whether the other leagues start before or after the Premier League before you mentioned it, it just makes more sense for the transfer window and the season not to overlap. Have the transfer window run from 1 June to 31 July for all leagues and nobody has an advantage or disadvantage over anyone else. It's not unreasonable to expect clubs to get deals sorted in a two month window.

Archived