• Sign up free today!

    Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

Premier League Clubs Vote To Revert Back to Old Transfer Deadline

Recommended Posts

Quote

 

Premier League clubs have voted to change date of summer Transfer Window to fall into line with other major European leagues.

Transfer Deadline Day will now revert, with the deadline now September 1 instead of the Thursday prior to the opening day of the season.

 

source: Sky Sports

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good. I wasn't a fan of it finishing early when the rest of Europe still had opportunities to buy players for a few more weeks without the option of PL clubs replacing them from abroad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think this is a backwards step. The window ending before the season was a good thing - particularly for clubs like us that like to leave their business until the last minute. Shame they've felt pressured in reverting to the old system

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was pretty arrogant of the league to do this and then our clubs would get annoyed European sides would make offers for players while our window had closed and theirs was open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Storts said:

I actually think this is a backwards step. The window ending before the season was a good thing - particularly for clubs like us that like to leave their business until the last minute. Shame they've felt pressured in reverting to the old system

I agree with this now once again you will fear that a key player might leave on the deadline day, or worse that you sign a player without him being in pre season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, True Blue said:

or worse that you sign a player without him being in pre season.

This could have still occurred anyway with the current windows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stan said:

This could have still occurred anyway with the current windows. 

Well in fairness yes, but in the current format clubs would make their signings far earlier which i think is better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but at least you know your squad for the year as of the first game. Having a three week window after the season with an incomplete squad is awful. Obviously some of the blame goes on the chairmen etc but i think we were right and Europe was wrong on this - and how many big players did we see poached by European clubs in that period last year?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Storts said:

and how many big players did we see poached by European clubs in that period last year?

according to BBC, big players to move:

Sanchez - Man Utd to Inter (although he was out of favour at Man Utd anyway)
Romelu Lukaku - Man Utd to Inter (again, out of favour, wanted to leave)

 

So 2 big transfers and perhaps a few others but not as big and players were out-of-favour/wanted to leave anyway - Slimani (loan to Monaco), Sturridge (Liverpool to Trabzonspor loan), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal to Sociedad), Zappacosta (to Roma on loan), 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/49190467

I wouldn't say that's too many big transfers at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lukaku and Sanchez were on their way out from last season anyway, they were hardly 'poached'.

Manchester United are just incompetent and failed to get proper replacements.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Storts said:

I actually think this is a backwards step. The window ending before the season was a good thing - particularly for clubs like us that like to leave their business until the last minute. Shame they've felt pressured in reverting to the old system

It’s better for clubs like Spurs to have it end a few games in, drives up prices and desperation on player sales 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was a bad idea to move it in the first place, made doubly so by the fact that we did it out of step with the rest of Europe.

Having a few weeks to bring in reinforcements after assessing your squad in competitive action is a good thing, and preseason doesn't really cut the mustard in that respect. Especially not with players arriving back late from international tournaments most summers.

At any rate, there's nothing stopping teams from not buying players after the season starts if they want a set squad from day one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Danny said:

It’s better for clubs like Spurs to have it end a few games in, drives up prices and desperation on player sales 

It isn’t. We need players in early and to settle. Leaving our buying until three games into the season never works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Storts said:

It isn’t. We need players in early and to settle. Leaving our buying until three games into the season never works. 

Better for £££ when selling players though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Danny said:

Better for £££ when selling players though

Hasn't proven to be that way. And that doesn't benefit us as a club anywhere near as much as having players in earlier and settled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Storts said:

Hasn't proven to be that way. And that doesn't benefit us as a club anywhere near as much as having players in earlier and settled. 

In fairness you’ve not been the selling club recently that you used to be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

In fairness you’ve not been the selling club recently that you used to be

And it's been our downfall. Need to get smarter at selling again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Storts said:

And it's been our downfall. Need to get smarter at selling again. 

Just why you need a later transfer window :farmer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Danny said:

Just why you need a later transfer window :farmer:

Incorrect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottled it. I can't believe anyone thinks that it makes more sense to have the transfer window close in the middle of the first part of the season. It's idiotic. And this tripe about players getting sold after the deadline to Europe and not being able to replace them is also silly. Can anyone give me one significant example of that happening? Premier League clubs refuse to sell players because they don't have time to get a replacement even when the transfer windows are synced up, all they have to do is say no, or get their shit together and if a player wants out, sort it before the season starts.

Granted, it was silly to go on their own path here. They should have tried to come to an agreement with the German, Italian, Spanish and French FAs to all agree to do it together before trying it. But now that they've messed it up and it looks like they've admitted they were wrong, it won't change for the foreseeable future. Well played, chaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't the Premier League window start earlier than the rest of Europe? With that in mind I suppose there wouldn't be a problem of clubs having less time to get things done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Bottled it. I can't believe anyone thinks that it makes more sense to have the transfer window close in the middle of the first part of the season. It's idiotic. And this tripe about players getting sold after the deadline to Europe and not being able to replace them is also silly. Can anyone give me one significant example of that happening? Premier League clubs refuse to sell players because they don't have time to get a replacement even when the transfer windows are synced up, all they have to do is say no, or get their shit together and if a player wants out, sort it before the season starts.

Granted, it was silly to go on their own path here. They should have tried to come to an agreement with the German, Italian, Spanish and French FAs to all agree to do it together before trying it. But now that they've messed it up and it looks like they've admitted they were wrong, it won't change for the foreseeable future. Well played, chaps.

Slight issue here, the German league starts usually one week after the English, can't see a single German  club being prepared to finish their transfers before the league starts just to do the English clubs a favor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Slight issue here, the German league starts usually one week after the English, can't see a single German  club being prepared to finish their transfers before the league starts just to do the English clubs a favor.

It's not just to do the English clubs a favour. I'm not looking up which leagues start when because it doesn't matter. They should set a deadline before any of the major leagues kick off and stick to it across Europe. The end of July instead of the end of August would make sense. If you told them they had to, all clubs could get their business done in the space of a week. Giving them the entirety of June and July would be ample time and wouldn't be disruptive to anyone's season. The line drawn at the end of August is already completely arbitrary. Why August? It's a completely illogical time to do so. Better to draw an arbitrary line at the end of July during pre-season than to draw one in the actual season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not just to do the English clubs a favour. I'm not looking up which leagues start when because it doesn't matter. They should set a deadline before any of the major leagues kick off and stick to it across Europe. The end of July instead of the end of August would make sense. If you told them they had to, all clubs could get their business done in the space of a week. Giving them the entirety of June and July would be ample time and wouldn't be disruptive to anyone's season. The line drawn at the end of August is already completely arbitrary. Why August? It's a completely illogical time to do so. Better to draw an arbitrary line at the end of July during pre-season than to draw one in the actual season.

One month is as good as the other, you already have an arbitrary line. Why change, other for it to be before the English season starts? If the English clubs want it to be so they can start their season in September. Not enough time to play all games? Well scrap, the League cup, scrap FA Cup replays, reduce the league, or combine some of this meassures. Surely that's the way to act instead to suggest all the other big leagues should go out their usual way in order for English clubs to get what they want without having to go out of their usual way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

One month is as good as the other, you already have an arbitrary line. Why change, other for it to be before the English season starts? If the English clubs want it to be so they can start their season in September. Not enough time to play all games? Well scrap, the League cup, scrap FA Cup replays, reduce the league, or combine some of this meassures. Surely that's the way to act instead to suggest all the other big leagues should go out their usual way in order for English clubs to get what they want without having to go out of their usual way.

You're being paranoid about this being an argument over whether it benefits English clubs or not.

I shouldn't need to explain that having an arbitrary line in July would allow all clubs from all nations to go into the season knowing who they've got until January. Having an arbitrary line in August means that the off season is still going on while the season has started for all clubs. It's just silly.

Nothing to do with who wins out. I couldn't even have told you whether the other leagues start before or after the Premier League before you mentioned it, it just makes more sense for the transfer window and the season not to overlap. Have the transfer window run from 1 June to 31 July for all leagues and nobody has an advantage or disadvantage over anyone else. It's not unreasonable to expect clubs to get deals sorted in a two month window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

You're being paranoid about this being an argument over whether it benefits English clubs or not.

I shouldn't need to explain that having an arbitrary line in July would allow all clubs from all nations to go into the season knowing who they've got until January. Having an arbitrary line in August means that the off season is still going on while the season has started for all clubs. It's just silly.

Nothing to do with who wins out. I couldn't even have told you whether the other leagues start before or after the Premier League before you mentioned it, it just makes more sense for the transfer window and the season not to overlap. Have the transfer window run from 1 June to 31 July for all leagues and nobody has an advantage or disadvantage over anyone else. It's not unreasonable to expect clubs to get deals sorted in a two month window.

You are aware, the most leagues worldwide operate on a March to October, November, or December schedule? So the logical arbitrary line would be February and no summer window? Also, and this is as far as I know at least one reason for August the big International tournaments WC and EC end normally at the begin of July and August was chosen to give International players the chance of a minimum of holidays without being looking for a new club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

You are aware, the most leagues worldwide operate on a March to October, November, or December schedule? So the logical arbitrary line would be February and no summer window? Also, and this is as far as I know at least one reason for August the big International tournaments WC and EC end normally at the begin of July and August was chosen to give International players the chance of a minimum of holidays without being looking for a new club.

Yes but I'm not talking about those leagues and we both know if you start talking about transfers from the Russian league or the MLS then you're no longer talking about transfers that are going to be of much significance to a team over the course of a season.

Even in tournament years, teams could easily get the business done before the end of July if they were given the choice of hurrying up or not getting their man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a good idea but unless other countries end their transfer window near the same time, it just makes the Premier League look stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

It's not just to do the English clubs a favour. I'm not looking up which leagues start when because it doesn't matter. They should set a deadline before any of the major leagues kick off and stick to it across Europe. The end of July instead of the end of August would make sense. If you told them they had to, all clubs could get their business done in the space of a week. Giving them the entirety of June and July would be ample time and wouldn't be disruptive to anyone's season. The line drawn at the end of August is already completely arbitrary. Why August? It's a completely illogical time to do so. Better to draw an arbitrary line at the end of July during pre-season than to draw one in the actual season.

2 or 3 weeks after the end of that Summer's tournament? Essentially means a window of less than a month for many players (which will affect many more down the line), with that taking place while they're on holiday

On 06/02/2020 at 19:52, Storts said:

It isn’t. We need players in early and to settle. Leaving our buying until three games into the season never works. 

Don't do it then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

2 or 3 weeks after the end of that Summer's tournament? Essentially means a window of less than a month for many players (which will affect many more down the line), with that taking place while they're on holiday

Don't do it then

Your response to Storts acknowledges that clubs are capable of getting business done earlier than they currently do which is exactly what I'm saying.

Make it a week later than I've said if you want. My overriding point remains that it makes no sense to end the transfer window after the season has started.

If all parties want a transfer they can sort it in a day if they have to. Players being on holiday is barely relevant now anyway. Agents do almost all of the negotiations and loads of players don't even come to the actual club to do their medicals or sign their contracts these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Advertisement