• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 3-1 Crystal Palace - Saturday 8th February, 2020

football forum

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

The German league is far more technically gifted and impressive. Nobody will change my opinion on that.

If there's anyone to change your opinion on that it won't be me. However I will chime in. It's like the Chilean league in South America. Great stadiums, good attendances, good facilities and professional but absolutely shite football. The attack looks good because the defending is awful. Whenever German sides play in Europe not named Bayern, they get embarrassed. Year in and year out. There is the odd exception but more often than not they are pretty bad. 

It's an extremely overrated league and when I see comments like "lulz Spurs can never beat Dortmund" I just cringe when Spurs piss over every team in Germany besides Bayern.

6 hours ago, Dan said:

I don't think you need to be. The league's poor. Nobody will convince me the standard of this league hasn't gone backwards.

I don't get this comment. I can't really say much about the context but if the league's poor, then so is football. Every league has their top sides, the overachievers and the "entertaining team" that doesn't always win then you have everyone else. In a league with 20 teams, it's pretty common to see poorer looking sides finish in a good position.

In the Peruvian league, Sport Huancayo are pretty bad yet they always finish in a Sudamericana spot because they know how to grind out games. The Liga MX has America coasting the league and only playing well in playoffs. The reason I mention these 2 is because they are the main tournaments I watch. So while I don't know about the PL context, I do know as much as when there are 20 teams in a league, some of the average to above average sides can grind out against the bottom half while not looking great.

Hopefully I made sense.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Absolutely shite football in Germany xD

Good one. 

Compared to Spanish and English football, it is miles behind.

They are more comparable to Serie A, who I would also rank above but it isn't miles ahead.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Vader said:

Compared to Spanish and English football, it is miles behind.

They are more comparable to Serie A, who I would also rank above but it isn't miles ahead.

Stop speaking in hyperbole then. 

It's quite obviously not absolutely shite is it? 

Just now, Stan said:

Stop speaking in hyperbole then. 

It's quite obviously not absolutely shite is it? 

All it takes is a quick look at their record in Europe. No finals since 2013, and no Europa league finals since 2009.

I'd assume The Palace Fan was referring to the mid table sides compared to the ones in the PL but even there I disagree. Europa League is more built for those kind of sides and even there they are pathetic. There are exceptions from time to time, like Frankfurt last year and Dortmund in 2013, but most of the time they are pretty bad.

German football has become a myth because they play pretty football and fans are consistent and make lots of noise. It's all overshadowed by god awful defending and the fact that attendances and noise don't count for footballing standard.

It's just like Chilean football in South America. At least Chileans can acknowledge their football is nowhere near the best on the continent.

55 minutes ago, bill1984 said:

I do not support Everton, but I saw the game. It was a nice play by Everton. I see that Carlo is doing good job and he may improve more the club at the near future!

Welcome Bill

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Vader said:

I don't get this comment. I can't really say much about the context but if the league's poor, then so is football. Every league has their top sides, the overachievers and the "entertaining team" that doesn't always win then you have everyone else. In a league with 20 teams, it's pretty common to see poorer looking sides finish in a good position.

In the Peruvian league, Sport Huancayo are pretty bad yet they always finish in a Sudamericana spot because they know how to grind out games. The Liga MX has America coasting the league and only playing well in playoffs. The reason I mention these 2 is because they are the main tournaments I watch. So while I don't know about the PL context, I do know as much as when there are 20 teams in a league, some of the average to above average sides can grind out against the bottom half while not looking great.

Hopefully I made sense.

I did a post in a La Liga thread lately but I think that the overall standard just seems a bit off now - you've got teams winning leagues and their fans still not happy with what's being served up, such is the procession - but then again, how can everybody be poor? Surely it's about relativity.

I can't quite put my finger on it to be honest. I feel like bar Liverpool there aren't really any 'great' sides now.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Vader said:

All it takes is a quick look at their record in Europe. No finals since 2013, and no Europa league finals since 2009.

I'd assume The Palace Fan was referring to the mid table sides compared to the ones in the PL but even there I disagree. Europa League is more built for those kind of sides and even there they are pathetic. There are exceptions from time to time, like Frankfurt last year and Dortmund in 2013, but most of the time they are pretty bad.

German football has become a myth because they play pretty football and fans are consistent and make lots of noise. It's all overshadowed by god awful defending and the fact that attendances and noise don't count for footballing standard.

It's just like Chilean football in South America. At least Chileans can acknowledge their football is nowhere near the best on the continent.

Why is it just record in Europe that counts? 

• Subscriber
8 hours ago, Dan said:

I did a post in a La Liga thread lately but I think that the overall standard just seems a bit off now - you've got teams winning leagues and their fans still not happy with what's being served up, such is the procession - but then again, how can everybody be poor? Surely it's about relativity.

I can't quite put my finger on it to be honest. I feel like bar Liverpool there aren't really any 'great' sides now.

Completely agree. It's hard to say that an entire league is poor because at the end of the day, moreorless the same number of points are shared out and the teams not in Europe can only be compared to each other so yeah, who's to say a team that finishes 7th with 57 points this season is better or worse than the team who did the same thing the year before?

For me it's just the lack of coherence at the majority of clubs in the league. Liverpool, Leicester and Sheffield United are the only teams I'd say have it.

For me, the fact that we're 7th is pretty poor. I stand by the fact that we know what we're doing and we have more good players than most other teams but that's it. We're playing 442 which shouldn't work in this day and age but there aren't enough good and smart teams around to exploit it. This is not the best Everton team I've seen in the last few years by any stretch but you have to say if Ancelotti had been in charge since the start of the season, we could definitely be in the mix for 4th place with Chelsea, and this Everton side isn't anywhere near the standard you'd have needed to be to have a conversation about the top four or top six in most previous years.

This season also makes a mockery of those people who laugh when Everton or Leicester or West Ham say they aim to eventually get into the top four. All it takes is to put a good, not even exceptional season together as often as you can and some of the top teams will always have a stumble every few years to give you a chance to fight for it. Sadly for us we've absolutely mastered the art of allowing ourselves to get dragged down with the quality of the rest of the league to ensure that we're always exactly shit enough to finish between 7th and 11th. 

This weak league chat is a load of nonsense. I don't ever recall this happening before. You don't normally have to go looking very hard for some bellend going on about the Premier League being the best in the world. Now all of a sudden it's 'weak'. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, LFCMike said:

This weak league chat is a load of nonsense. I don't ever recall this happening before. You don't normally have to go looking very hard for some bellend going on about the Premier League being the best in the world. Now all of a sudden it's 'weak'. 

When people are using it to try and discredit Liverpool's title win I agree that's just bitter lemons, although it definitely has happened in a few seasons before. 

However, the results in mid-table are so random and inconsistent, anyone can beat anyone, that I think it's fair to comment on the failure of most teams to demonstrate any sort of consistency.

10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It’s an attempt to downplay Liverpool’s achievement, that’s all it is. They weren’t saying this when Manchester City were urinating all over the league were they? It was ‘The greatest side ever, ever to exist!!!’ but it was just as dull and embarrassing for the rest of the league.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, The Artful Dodger said:

It’s an attempt to downplay Liverpool’s achievement, that’s all it is. They weren’t saying this when Manchester City were urinating all over the league were they? It was ‘The greatest side ever, ever to exist!!!’ but it was just as dull and embarrassing for the rest of the league.

Liverpool should be considered for that tag when they win this season and how they do over next 1-2 seasons too. The other thing in their favour is that they have the CL to back it up with as well. Man City don't. 

8 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

When people are using it to try and discredit Liverpool's title win I agree that's just bitter lemons, although it definitely has happened in a few seasons before. 

However, the results in mid-table are so random and inconsistent, anyone can beat anyone, that I think it's fair to comment on the failure of most teams to demonstrate any sort of consistency.

But it's the exact reason that most people are coming out with it.

Is there not an argument that some of the sides further down the table are stronger than other years? Norwich are 7 points from safety but not completely cut adrift as yet. Compare that with Fulham and Huddersfield last year. Another recent-ish example being Villa whatever year that was.

At the end of the day it's not something you can accurately measure because I suppose a response to my point above would be the midtable sides are weaker so are dropping points to sides lower down the table. 

I don't think it's much different to any other year really. The only exception being that like in 17/18 you have one outstanding side that's running away with the title

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

But it's the exact reason that most people are coming out with it.

Is there not an argument that some of the sides further down the table are stronger than other years? Norwich are 7 points from safety but not completely cut adrift as yet. Compare that with Fulham and Huddersfield last year. Another recent-ish example being Villa whatever year that was.

At the end of the day it's not something you can accurately measure because I suppose a response to my point above would be the midtable sides are weaker so are dropping points to sides lower down the table. 

I don't think it's much different to any other year really. The only exception being that like in 17/18 you have one outstanding side that's running away with the title

I'm certainly not coming at it from that point of view and I think most people who are saying it to discredit Liverpool are either trolls or at least aren't coming out to have a serious debate about it.

I think the fact that Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs have been so noticeably poor at the same time is the main thing that's making it noticeable. It's quite normal for one of those sides to have a stinking season but not all three. 

It is all relative. What you can say as a fact is that the points are more evenly spread this year than usual. I think it's true that the lack of a real 'sink club' or two at the bottom has made things more competitive. I just feel from my point of view as an Everton fan that it's been far too easy for us to go from being in the relegation zone to potentially in Europe. We didn't sign anyone in January and all Ancelotti (and Ferguson before him) has had to do is come in, calm everything down, shoehorn a few players into a 442 and suddenly the only teams who have beaten us in about 10 games are Liverpool and Man City. It's not like we've played out of our skin in any of those games either. I can't think of many seasons where a side playing 442 with Walcott and Sigurdsson starting every week in the middle would cruise up the table like we have.

We play shite week in week out, average 34% possession and are closer to the Europa League than relegation.

Liverpool's success is more remarkable because of that not less. This league is overwhelmed with quality at the individual level that to get the results week in week out is harder. To have the individuals and the team is getting rarer. 

It's the inevitable consequence of too much money. In another era Man Utd would have plunged to bottom half relegation battlers as a result of never having a good "team", but they have so much money that good individuals can hold them up out of that.

• The topic was unpinned

I think the league weakness needs to be considered relatively. I think the PL has got a bit more unpredictable but not really weaker. 

Chelsea absolutely coasted to the league in 2015, and were comfortably knocked out by a 10-man PSG early in the knockouts. This season, Liverpool are coasting it, and they as well as City are two of the most feared teams in Europe. 

As I've said, almost every league in the world that has at least 14 teams has sides that just grind out games and look poor in the middle of the table. It's really just the norm. Given the achievements in Europe, I find it hard to discredit the PL at all. La Liga's had a bit of a downfall so I think at the moment the Premier League is the best. 

No league is perfect.

Archived