• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Celtic Issue Complaint to Sky after Morelos Interview

football forum

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

@ScoRoss @Rab care to fill me in? No idea what this is about and I’ve even tried looking it up.

The subtitles of Moreles's interview apparently said he was the subject of racist abuse from Celtic fans. Celtic claim that the actual words he said in Spanish don't directly translate to him complaining about racist abuse & take offense to the insinuation they've got racist fans.

I didn't hear the original interview, nor have I seen a transcript, so no idea if Celtic have a point or not. But Sky did pull the interview after the complaint.

This whole last week of Scottish football media has Jim Traynor's fat fingers all over it.

Still, how hard would it be for Sky to actually check with someone who speaks Spanish to clarify the translation was correct? Or actually have their own interpreter there?

Also, Celtic haven't denied that racist abuse took place but only about the translation was wrong. 

A thoroughly weird week all round.

14 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The subtitles of Moreles's interview apparently said he was the subject of racist abuse from Celtic fans. Celtic claim that the actual words he said in Spanish don't directly translate to him complaining about racist abuse & take offense to the insinuation they've got racist fans.

I didn't hear the original interview, nor have I seen a transcript, so no idea if Celtic have a point or not. But Sky did pull the interview after the complaint.

This cracks me up, how any football club in this country has the bollocks to claim that they don’t have any racist fans is beyond me

24 minutes ago, Danny said:

This cracks me up, how any football club in this country has the bollocks to claim that they don’t have any racist fans is beyond me

Sadly I would not argue even if you removed the word football from your sentence at this time!

15 minutes ago, SchalkeUK said:

Sadly I would not argue even if you removed the word football from your sentence at this time!

The issue with racism as we know it is that it’s a societal issue and completely systemic, football is just the most inclusive sport in the country so of course there will be people from poorer/working class backgrounds who have been fed the bottom of the barrel racism their entire lives where they don’t actually benefit from racism but end up acting as foot soldiers for people in the upper classes who do and so they come to games and end up abusing people. The team you support will have little effect on that. Not just racism, homophobia and sexism have been rife within football for a long time and it’s only recently that genuine efforts are being made to educate people. The problem is that you have a national broadcaster that can’t differentiate between black people, you have the two main political parties who have a long history of bigotry most recently highlighted through anti-semi time and islamophobia, the current PM’s racist background has been highlighted extensively and yet he was voted in with a large majority. Football clubs can carry out damage control within their own grounds but as society is moving closer towards racist and bigoted ideologies rather than away from them, incidents within football grounds will carry on highlighting it.

I have been luckier than most - a lot of my time as an adult has been spent looking after and trying to educate young people - from 6 and 7 up to 16 and 17 - only when they ineract with Adults do they seem to develop opinions that are dangerous - as kids and young people they don't seem to notice colour or accent - they just get on with each other.  My 'Lego' kids on Saturday vary from UK to India to Egypt and China and just enjoy themselves together.  Life would be much easier and more pleasant without grown-ups!

1 minute ago, Smiley Culture said:

Celtic and Rangers and their petty rivalry bores the shit out of me. It’s all very tit-for-tat and “he said”, “she said” and they seem to moan about menial nonsense. They’re moaning about subtitles FFS. 

Yes, but what religion were these subtitles?

Archived