talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Top 42 Albums

football forum

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/

We did something similar on the old site.

There's an option on the site that lets you choose what kind of collage you want to make (make sure to turn on the 'album titles' option). I went for the top 42 as it looks the cleanest and has a clear top 10. I figured that I could have done a top 100 but when I get to around the 70th album I'm just filling the gaps with albums I don't listen to on a daily basis anymore, or ever really, so the point would be somewhat lost. Now this looks totally different from what my top 42 looked like two years ago, so these are the top 42 albums I find the most listenable as of January 2020. 5 years ago I would have only two or three hip hop albums in this list...

5h3dBwy.png

To make it more interesting and not just a thread filled with images I think we could leave a few lines about each of the albums in the top 10.

The Beatles 'White Album' - A shift from their happy and loving sounding works released previous to this, to a more hard rock and experimental sound. Paul McCartney does it all in this album, showing he can pull off the perfect melody in any genre one can think of. From the most disarmingly soft tracks to the loudest ones in the Beatles catalogue, the White Album has it all.

Tame Impala 'Lonerism' - If The Beatles, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd made an album together, this might be close to what it would sound like. I'm a sucker for the psychadelic genre so might be a bit suspect here, but this album became one of my favourites of all time after the first listen. My advice is get yourself an expensive pair of headphones and have a blast listening to this on repeat whilst trying to find all the layers. Kevin Parker is a musical genius.

Alex Turner 'Submarine' -  Not much to say here. Possibly just another acoustic album to many but the delivery is so impecable and the lyrics so vivid that it makes this little EP some heavenly shit. 10/10 no skips.

Brokchampton 'Saturation III' - Gorillaz meets Childish Gambino? Kind off. This album is the last of a thrilogy which I recommend. The creativity is off the charts.

Queens of the Stone Age '...Like Clockwork' - This is a very dark, concept album written by Homme after a near death experience. Seems to be somewhat underlooked but it's a modern day masterpiece as far as I'm concerned.

Tyler, The Creator 'Scum Fuck Flower Boy' - Some masterful production. It seems improbable that someone like Tyler The Creator would come up with such beautiful composition but there you go. I think this was a milestone for both him and hip-hop as a genre. Difficult to top.

Danny Brown 'Atrocity Exhibition' - The most "out there" prodution you'll ever find in a rap album. Some seriously wild shit going on in here. Love it.

The Dead Weather 'Sea of Cowards' - Rock n' Roll lives.

Frank Ocean 'Blonde' - A flawless album if I ever listened to one. The epitome of R&B.

Wolf Alice 'Visions of a Life' - This is a mix of dream pop and punk rock that I really like. Saw them live two years ago and never stopped listening ever since.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Machado said:

Stop upvoting the OP and post something of your own you lazy lurkers xD

I'll do it later. Coming up with a top 10 list is hard enough in itself, picking my top 42 albums will be more time consuming than it probably should be.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think doing 42 is too hard, so I'll do 9 as well.

A solid mix of metal and 60s stuff, with a dash of Pink Floyd.

I don’t listen to Megadeth on the basis that the only photograph I have of my father he is wearing a Peace Sells... tshirt

1 minute ago, Spike said:

I don’t listen to Megadeth on the basis that the only photograph I have of my father he is wearing a Peace Sells... tshirt

That's a quality album.

I'm kind of regretting not putting Exodus's Bonded by Blood on there though.

Okay so since mine's a top 9 (and in no particular order), I'd like to make a revision and then add another album. I'm mostly doing this because I've got a record player and recently acquired these albums (along with Rust in Peace - which is already on my list; and sometime soon hopefully I'll have the rest of them... and many more).

We're replacing Pink Floyd's The Wall (which is a brilliant album and is still one I really really really love) with Exodus's debut album - Bonded By Blood:

1000x1000.jpg

& adding Death's album, which IMO is their best album - but that's a pretty fierce debate among Death fans, The Sound of Perseverance

Death-The-Sound-of-Perseverance_grande.j

This makes my top 10 a lot more metal heavy than it was originally. But given that metal's my favourite genre, that's probably a better reflection of my top albums.

• Subscriber

image.thumb.png.aa60ce293f6d7d1775737577951599a2.png

So many missed in the mix but I figure this should cover a good spread. Left out really big bands as I figure they're going to be covered eventually in a list someone posts on here. Most of these are predominantly for things I find totally fascinating in the way the music is made and some are just in there for pure sentimental value. 

I did jostle between Try and Where the Light Is just because I can never make my mind up on which one I really like more but they are both really really good showcases of instrument technical ability.

2 hours ago, Mel81x said:

image.thumb.png.aa60ce293f6d7d1775737577951599a2.png

So many missed in the mix but I figure this should cover a good spread. Left out really big bands as I figure they're going to be covered eventually in a list someone posts on here. Most of these are predominantly for things I find totally fascinating in the way the music is made and some are just in there for pure sentimental value. 

I did jostle between Try and Where the Light Is just because I can never make my mind up on which one I really like more but they are both really really good showcases of instrument technical ability.

Some of my favourite albums on there, nice one.

• Subscriber
27 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Some of my favourite albums on there, nice one.

There's just too many to pick from haha. I like the Cream album you've got up there as well. Here's another I missed that I got introduced to in college.

Image result for buena vista social club albums

26 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

There's just too many to pick from haha. I like the Cream album you've got up there as well. Here's another I missed that I got introduced to in college.

Image result for buena vista social club albums

Yeah was really hard for me to pick a top 9/10. I almost think it'd be easier to rate albums by the genre they're in rather than a blanket top albums listing.

Looking at my current top 10... I'm satisfied with it... but at the same time, I feel like Frank Zappa's Hot Rats is a very special album that deserves a place. But I can't really figure out who to move. And I do feel a bit bad for knocking The Wall of my list, that'd probably make it if we separated my top rock albums from my top metal albums.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah was really hard for me to pick a top 9/10. I almost think it'd be easier to rate albums by the genre they're in rather than a blanket top albums listing.

Looking at my current top 10... I'm satisfied with it... but at the same time, I feel like Frank Zappa's Hot Rats is a very special album that deserves a place. But I can't really figure out who to move. And I do feel a bit bad for knocking The Wall of my list, that'd probably make it if we separated my top rock albums from my top metal albums.

Just make another row and add more albums :).

You know we could do a "Build the Band" sort of thing and talk about albums to drive a band to completion for a genre like rock, metal, etc. Kind of like what Rando is doing but more music oriented. 

Archived