talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

First timers in the Top Division

football forum

I wanted to start a dedicated thread to those teams that are closing in on making the top division for the first time. 

Union Berlin are enjoying their first year in the Bundesliga this year, and doing well with some success. 

Benevento just enjoyed Serie A for the first time, and are on pace to make it back again, alongside Pordenone who have never made the top division before. 

Who do you think could potentially be the next 'first' in the Top Division?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
44 minutes ago, Eco said:

I wanted to start a dedicated thread to those teams that are closing in on making the top division for the first time. 

Union Berlin are enjoying their first year in the Bundesliga this year, and doing well with some success. 

Benevento just enjoyed Serie A for the first time, and are on pace to make it back again, alongside Pordenone who have never made the top division before. 

Who do you think could potentially be the next 'first' in the EPL? 

Brentford. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Eco said:

According to this, Brentford have played 210 games in the Top Division in England. 

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

Sorry, you said EPL so thought you meant since 1992

If this is the case (where football did exist before EPL) we could be waiting ages for someone new as I'm sure several clubs were in top flight at one time or other before 1992.

Just now, Stan said:

Sorry, you said EPL so thought you meant since 1992

If this is the case (where football did exist before EPL) we could be waiting ages for someone new as I'm sure several clubs were in top flight at one time or other before 1992.

Fair enough - I changed it. 

Unless we are going with teams in non-League, it's hard to find any teams that have never experienced top flight football in England. Plymouth? Bristol Rovers?

1 minute ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, if you go down that road, then Union Berlin aren't in the first division for the first time, since they been members of DDR-Oberliiga they first division on East Germany for several years.

Did not know that. I guess it gets a little murky when people start going way back to the times before and right after the war. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Apparently have played 122 top-flight games.

Technically they reformed, so this current version of Accrington hasn't played in the top flight :ph34r:

But yeah, ordinarily people wouldn't consider that and I genuinely had no idea they'd had any top flight matches in their history.

What about clubs like Port Vale or Burton? I have a hard time imagining they've ever been good enough to be in the top flight... but no idea if that's true or not.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Technically they reformed, so this current version of Accrington hasn't played in the top flight :ph34r:

But yeah, ordinarily people wouldn't consider that and I genuinely had no idea they'd had any top flight matches in their history.

What about clubs like Port Vale or Burton? I have a hard time imagining they've ever been good enough to be in the top flight... but no idea if that's true or not.

Yep neither have been in top flight :)

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

16 minutes ago, Eco said:

You're not dumb, I honestly thought that was where this had been placed. Moving it now. 

Alright, I just wasn't sure if I should move it or not. Thought I missed something. xD

Archived