Rangers vs Sporting Braga
Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Espanyol
Bayer Leverkusen vs Porto
APOEL vs Basel
AZ vs LASK
Wolfsburg vs Malmo FF
AS Roma vs Gent
Olympiakos vs Arsenal

• The title was changed to 2019/20 Europa League - Round of 32 - Thursday 20th February, 2020
  • The topic was pinned
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hutter has tried a variety of formations for Frankfurt during our Europa League games this season. It will be interesting to see what formation he has us play against Salzburg this evening. Of course this is do or die time. A bad result today could be very costly, so there is no room for experimentation by the Austrian manager. 

On the injury front, Gelson Fernandes, Lucas Torro and Marco Russ are all still out. Serbian midfielder Mijat Gacinovic is highly doubtful to be called up as he is suffering from a bad cold. While our star Austrian defender Martin Hinteregger is suspended for this match.

Portuguese forwards Goncalo Paciencia and Andre Silva are both available as is Dutch target man Bas Dost, who has apparently recovered from his recent adductor problems. Kostic has been our leading scorer so far in the Europa League this season with 4 goals and no doubt he will have an important role to play once again. Paciencia and Kamada have respectively scored 3 each.

A win at home today against the Austrian champions will be vital and I fully expect Frankfurt to get the win and put themselves in a good position for the return leg.

• Subscriber

It will be interesting if Ole plays this new guy on the block, Odion Ighalo and see how he gets on...

"I won't tell the team today but we will have to rotate with all the games coming up," said the United manager.

"He's one that could start, we've not 100% decided yet."

The Norwegian added: "Odion is a different type of striker.

1 hour ago, CaaC (John) said:

It will be interesting if Ole plays this new guy on the block, Odion Ighalo and see how he gets on...

"I won't tell the team today but we will have to rotate with all the games coming up," said the United manager.

"He's one that could start, we've not 100% decided yet."

The Norwegian added: "Odion is a different type of striker.

Ighalo is on the bench for this game. I am sure he will come on as a sub at some stage though.

Hutter has decided to play Andre Silva up front partnered by Kamada. Rode and Ilsanker are the midfielders alongside Sow. Kostic retains his usual position down the left flank, while surprisingly it's Almany Toure taking up the right wing-back position. It's an experienced defence with Hasebe back in the team alongside Abraham and N'Dicka. Trapp is in goal as usual.

In general, this line-up looks quite conservative, leaving me to think that Hutter is trying to make sure that Frankfurt don't concede today. Playing the 1st leg at home is always a slight disadvantage, but I would be content with any type of win today, preferably with us not conceding a goal.

Hopefully the likes of Andre Silva, Kamada and Kostic can punish the Salzburg defence and deliver a positive result today.

5 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Nice to see Mata playing, not Lingard though the arse.

Yes, Mata will hopefully create something for you tonight. I think Brugge will be a tough nut to crack though, Vanaken in particular is a tricky player to deal with.

Goal Frankfurt!! Kamada scores in the 12th minute to continue his good scoring record in the Europa League this season. That's a useful early goal and hopefully we can add to it. Salzburg though had more of the possession in the opening 10 minutes. Anyway, it's a great start for Frankfurt.

16 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I would have prefered playing James & Fernandes than Lingard & Andreas.

I am sure you would have preferred them, especially as you have now gone down 1-0 early doors. Dennis's goal is an early set-back for United. Hopefully the Red Devils can respond positively and find the equaliser.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Michael said:

We are thrashing Salzburg 4-0 and there is still more than half an hour of the match to play. Can we add to this already impressive scoreline? Oh what a night!xD:congrats:

Brilliant!

• The topic was unpinned

Archived