• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

2019/20 Europa League - Round of 32 - Thursday 20th February, 2020

football forum

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, God is Haaland said:

Slipperkusen simply can't stop choking. They should have won this game like 4-1 or 5-1, but now Porto will advance with a 1-0.

Neverkusen really are their worst own enemy. They created chances galore today against Porto. Even when Leverkusen went 2-0 ahead in the 57th minute, you thought that the 3rd goal would come soon, given the opportunities they generated tonight. But no, Porto pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute, to keep Porto very much alive in this tie.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't really rate Peter Bosz as a manager. He never seems to place much importance on defending with the teams he manages. He's not the most tactically astute manager out there in my opinion and I believe that a better manager would achieve much more with this talented Leverkusen team.

Still a win is a win tonight and it's still advantage Leverkusen going into the 2nd leg.

Wolfsburg also won their match 2-1 against Malmo.

That's 5 wins for the 5 Bundesliga teams(Dortmund,  RB Leipzig, Frankfurt, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg) that have played in Europe over the past 3 days. 

"I don't rate the Bundesliga teams"....where is Brian when you need him?xD

1 hour ago, Stan said:

3-2!!!! What a turnaround!! Hagi's free-kick is deflected and it floats in over the keeper.

Amazing!

That Hagi kid looks almost as good as his father was when he was at his peak.

Rangers did well to sign him, he looks a real talent.

2 hours ago, Eco said:

Massive 2-0 result. We are through.

That's a good and an important away win for Inter. But lets not forget that this is the same Ludogorets team that lost 6-0 to bottom of the La Liga table Espanyol.

Having said that, Inter did rest a few players in this game and from watching the highlights, they seemed to really come alive once Lukaku came on as a sub. Inter are into the next round without doubt now, with Lukaku and Martinez surely looking forward to the second leg in Milan on the 28th.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

That's a good and an important away win for Inter. But lets not forget that this is the same Ludogorets team that lost 6-0 to bottom of the La Liga table Espanyol.

Having said that, Inter did rest a few players in this game and from watching the highlights, they seemed to really come alive once Lukaku came on as a sub. Inter are into the next round without doubt now, with Lukaku and Martinez surely looking forward to the second leg in Milan on the 28th.

Very weak lineup for us today. No doubt. Anytime Rannochia is starting, you know that we aren't going to be our strongest. Martinez had his second poor game in a row, so hopefully he turns things around soon. We also still need Hando back ASAP, even though Pandelli really didn't have much pressure today. 

38 minutes ago, Eco said:

Very weak lineup for us today. No doubt. Anytime Rannochia is starting, you know that we aren't going to be our strongest. Martinez had his second poor game in a row, so hopefully he turns things around soon. We also still need Hando back ASAP, even though Pandelli really didn't have much pressure today. 

Yes, Rannochia is a liability in defence. It's strange how his career never lived up to expectations. When he first came onto the scene, he was being touted as the next best Italian defender, but he soon got found out in big games and his reputation plummeted. I am sure that Martinez will regain his form soon, he is a natural talent who has a nose for goal.

There is no comparison between Handanovic and Padelli, it's a world class goalkeeper compared to an average one. Inter Milan will have a big task replacing Handanovic when he eventually decides to retire. Inter have done well to hold on to him for the last 8 years and he has been a crucial part of their team during that time. There's little doubt that they will have to spend a huge amount of money in the future, to find a goalkeeper anywhere as good as him.

Well done by Rangers considering Braga have been extremely good under their new manager.

They've beaten Benfica, Porto twice, Sporting twice and won the league cup in just ten games under him. In fact this is their first loss under this manager.

Yes, that was a good performance by Rangers yesterday. Braga are a tough team and for Rangers to snatch the win, that is an achievement in itself. However, Braga will also feel confident going into the return leg with the 2 away goals that they got. Braga I would say are definitely the 3rd best team in Portugal now, ahead of Sporting Lisbon.

Celtic also did well yesterday, with their 1-1 away draw in Copenhagen. The two Glasgow clubs always seem to be tough opposition in Europe, as they are never easy to play against for most European clubs.

Back to Rangers though, young Hagi looks like a great loan signing for them. Rangers are even said to have an option to buy him, which I am sure they will exercise. Hagi scored the winner against Hibernian a few weeks back and yesterday he scored 2 key goals against Braga. The kid looks like a star in the making and I am very impressed with what I have seen of him.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Not really, Phelan, Ole & Carrick's reaction after Martial scored. :coffee:

bbbbbb.png.0b3301fb4baa80dac3ecb657ca899f54.png

So it should be. The goal came about fortuitously.

The performance, on the whole at least up to then, was terrible. 

Apart from Frankfurt's 4-1 demolition of Salzburg, the other most impressive performance was Wolverhamptons 4-0 destruction of Espanyol.

Portuguese striker Diogo Jota scored an impressive hattrick(his second consecutive hattrick in the Europa League!) and his Portuguese compatriot Ruben Neves notched the other goal. Indeed, Jota and Neves were arguably the two standout players for Wolves, although Moutinho, Doherty and Boly were also impressive. More performances like that and Wolves could go far in the Europa League this season.

On 20/02/2020 at 18:03, Michael said:

Neverkusen really are their worst own enemy. They created chances galore today against Porto. Even when Leverkusen went 2-0 ahead in the 57th minute, you thought that the 3rd goal would come soon, given the opportunities they generated tonight. But no, Porto pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute, to keep Porto very much alive in this tie.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't really rate Peter Bosz as a manager. He never seems to place much importance on defending with the teams he manages. He's not the most tactically astute manager out there in my opinion and I believe that a better manager would achieve much more with this talented Leverkusen team.

Still a win is a win tonight and it's still advantage Leverkusen going into the 2nd leg.

Wolfsburg also won their match 2-1 against Malmo.

That's 5 wins for the 5 Bundesliga teams(Dortmund,  RB Leipzig, Frankfurt, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg) that have played in Europe over the past 3 days. 

"I don't rate the Bundesliga teams"....where is Brian when you need him?xD

Here I am. Still a 2nd leg to play but my opinions are slowly swaying and this is based on the last 2 years.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Michael said:

Apart from Frankfurt's 4-1 demolition of Salzburg, the other most impressive performance was Wolverhamptons 4-0 destruction of Espanyol.

Portuguese striker Diogo Jota scored an impressive hattrick(his second consecutive hattrick in the Europa League!) and his Portuguese compatriot Ruben Neves notched the other goal. Indeed, Jota and Neves were arguably the two standout players for Wolves, although Moutinho, Doherty and Boly were also impressive. More performances like that and Wolves could go far in the Europa League this season.

Neves' goal was superb. Felt for Espanyol as they only just seem to be getting on their feet since their new manager was hired. I don't think they were ever going to win or even draw on Thursday night. Wolves far too good for them. 

Ludogorets demand Coronavirus updates

Ludogorets have formally requested information on whether next week’s Europa League tie with Inter at San Siro will go ahead amid the Coronavirus scare.

As of this morning, there have been two deaths in Italy from the illness, with 132 cases diagnosed and 26 in intensive care.

Late Saturday night, the Prime Minister of Italy and the Minister for Sport announced in a press conference that all sporting events in the Lombardy and Veneto region were suspended for this weekend.

That includes Serie A fixtures Inter-Sampdoria, Atalanta-Sassuolo, Verona-Cagliari and today Torino-Parma was added to the list of cancelled games.

Inevitably, now Ludogorets have released a statement confirming their formal request to UEFA for more information on the situation in Milan.

The Bulgarians are set to play at San Siro on Thursday in the second leg of the Europa League Round of 32.

Options mentioned include playing the game behind closed doors, moving the venue to neutral turf or even switching it so that Ludogorets play the second leg in Razgrad.

The first leg ended 2-0 for Inter in Bulgaria on February 20.

Ludogorets have requested information as soon as possible, because they have 600 fans who were planning to make the trip to Italy.

The Lombardy region, including Milan, represent the hotbed of the Coronavirus outbreak in Italy, with more cases there than anywhere else.

On 22/02/2020 at 08:04, Stan said:

Neves' goal was superb. Felt for Espanyol as they only just seem to be getting on their feet since their new manager was hired. I don't think they were ever going to win or even draw on Thursday night. Wolves far too good for them. 

Wolves are on another level to Espanyol, with all due respect to the Spanish outfit.

Another worthy mention is Shakhtar's performance during their win over Benfica. It finished 2-1 to Shakhtar, but in reality, Shakhtar should of won by a much larger margin, they were all over Benfica for most of the match.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived