talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Will Leeds Bottle Promotion Again?

football forum

• Administrator

For the last 3 seasons Leeds have been in contention for playoffs and/or automatic promotion after positive first half of the season showings but collapse from Jan/Feb onwards. 

Will it happen again? 

Only won once in 5, showing similar poor form to West Brom so not only have they not capitalised on the Baggies' results but the chasing pack - Fulham, Forest, Brentford - have now pretty much caught up with Leeds too. 

I personally hope they'll come up. Wonder if they'll be pipped to the post when it comes to automatic promotion though... 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

I've had a gutful of it. Mentally this club destroys you. Think my post from last night's match thread will cover my current thoughts. 

16 hours ago, Lucas said:

Worst game I've seen from us under Bielsa without doubt.

We created next to nothing. Forest scored a piss easy goal and could sit back with their feet off whilst we tried to tickle their feet with a feather. No dice.

Anybody who watches us regularly and doesn't judge us on one game will understand that was next level shit to what we have seen. Normally we create and waste chances as Sky alluded to. Today we just didn't create. We literslly had nothing.

I'm not going to dissect the game too much to be frank. This will sound dramatic to those on the outside looking in but I'm just sick of it now. You can see the inevitable unfolding. 

The body language of the players said it all. They are psychologically beat and the burden of playing for this club is too much for them. The fans have turned full circle. It's sad to see but understandable.

I don't think Bielsa knows what to do to turn it around. He is too proud to stray from what he believes in. So we just watch and wait, and wait, and wait.

And I know I've lost remote hope because I felt no anger today. Just watched it all unfold without any emotion or feeling. I think I've accepted our fate. We are just cursed and we're here to stay.

Honestly, everyone says it about their own side but I really cannot stress, you will never quite understand the frustration of following this mob. It's crushing. 

• Subscriber

I hope they don't bottle it again but can you blame Bielsa or the players? I read a while back that he has profiles of all opposition players and briefs his team before a game on certain players weaknesses etc...

https://www.sportbible.com/football/take-a-bow-the-incredible-details-marcelo-bielsa-revealed-in-his-press-conference-20190116

If this is true or not I don't know, if so then maybe he is making the players mentally fatigued with his tactics, I can remember reading about Don Revie who had detailed files of players and when he left and Brian Clough took over, Clough destroyed all of Revies files...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/don-revies-dossiers-truth-behind-leeds-legends-famous-case-studies

Maybe he had read up on Don Revie after he joined Leeds and maybe he might be trying to copy Revies tactics and this is now back firing on him? anyway these are my thoughts only and others may differ, fans like @Lucas who go and watch them play would know far better than me.   

He was a massive coup for Leeds but when he first signed I did think one of two things would happen, or both. The first being that a team of Championship players would play out of their skin and maybe above their station for him, they will likely never be managed by someone of his ilk again. The second being that he is well known for wearing a team down and if not physically, mentally exhausting them. With this team being a group of Championship players you’d think they’d be as susceptible as anyone, maybe even more, to being exhausted by him. Also with it being Leeds and the pressure of trying to get them out of the division on top of Bielsa’s naturally exhausting ways this was either going to end in promotion or tears.

• Subscriber

For sure. I think they look mentally shot. You would think a win of the nature of that Millwall game (with others dropping points) could turn things around and it seems to have done the opposite. They've failed to score in 5 of their last 7 games.

I thought Augustin could make the difference and he still might but they looked way off it yesterday.

Couldn't fault the atmosohere yesterday. One of the better one's we had this season for sure, it felt 'united'.

On the pitch, it was a 1-0 battering. Bristol City weren't much kop at all, just a shame the scoreboard didn't reflect the domination.

Kalvin Phillips, back with a banh at Brentford in the week, again an absolute monster yesterday. He's playing himself right into the Euro 2020 squad.

Morale boost all round but me being me, just can't trust this club yet, even though yesterday was a good win for us.

But when you look at the fixtures down on paper, it does look tough for the others, especially Fulham.

IMG-20200215-WA0002.thumb.jpg.485377e1759fdcf1cb4e2ac64a8e5d29.jpg

46 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Leeds are going to be absolutely fine, piss promotion by 6 or more points. Sick of hearing about it now. 

All well and good for you to say that but we are only 3pts clear of third and one more point clear of 4th and 5th.

And we have the serial chokers tag. Everyone in the game takes the piss out of us for 'bottling' it.

We broke the law of statistics not going up after our position at christmas last season. No other side, just us.

This will carry on until its mathematically certain, especially when we don't score many goals and have a liability like Kiko Casilla in goal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/02/2020 at 06:56, CaaC (John) said:

I hope they don't bottle it again but can you blame Bielsa or the players? I read a while back that he has profiles of all opposition players and briefs his team before a game on certain players weaknesses etc...

https://www.sportbible.com/football/take-a-bow-the-incredible-details-marcelo-bielsa-revealed-in-his-press-conference-20190116

If this is true or not I don't know, if so then maybe he is making the players mentally fatigued with his tactics, I can remember reading about Don Revie who had detailed files of players and when he left and Brian Clough took over, Clough destroyed all of Revies files...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/don-revies-dossiers-truth-behind-leeds-legends-famous-case-studies

Maybe he had read up on Don Revie after he joined Leeds and maybe he might be trying to copy Revies tactics and this is now back firing on him? anyway these are my thoughts only and others may differ, fans like @Lucas who go and watch them play would know far better than me.   

Marcelo Biesla doesn’t copy anyone, he creates and innovates. People have debated endlessly on Biesla and have come to the conclusion he is just too intense to be a practical manager. Overly obsessive, overly in depth, people agree that he is probably the greatest tactician in the world but he crushes his teams under the weight of his expectations.

Unironically ‘too smart to win’.

• Subscriber
On 09/02/2020 at 16:34, Dan said:

For sure. I think they look mentally shot. You would think a win of the nature of that Millwall game (with others dropping points) could turn things around and it seems to have done the opposite. They've failed to score in 5 of their last 7 games.

I thought Augustin could make the difference and he still might but they looked way off it yesterday.

Since this game...

4 wins
1 draw
0 defeats

0 Augustin goals

Others dropping points.

My consistency to jinx anything is beaten by nobody and if you tell me I'm wrong you're wrong.

• Subscriber

image.thumb.png.0c9e4e5bc96cfef26aea337580b9bb0a.png

The table after the weekend is better reading for Leeds. Conceded the least amount of goals of the top 8 but with Casilla banned, will that change? The lad in goal for the win over Hull looked decent though to be fair.

I wonder if the whole thing with teams "bottling promotion" in the championship is partly a matter of perception, since in the PL it's now normal for the dominant sides to go on runs of unbroken wins for large chunks of the season. 

Even when a team is one of the best in its league, up until the last decade it was still very normal to have inconsistent results. 

Archived