talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Title Battles vs Relegation

football forum

What do you prefer?

It's kind of a tossup for me. I enjoy watching title battles more but at least in a European all format theres always one team that runs away with it and it takes some intensity away from it. Of course, when there is a title battle it's a joy, but they come few and far between at least in the leagues I watch and follow. 

Some of my favourite title battles of all time:

Liverpool vs Manchester City vs Arsenal vs Chelsea (2013/14)

Napoli vs Juventus (2017/18)

Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid (2013/14)

Universitario vs Real Garcilaso (2013)

Cavalry vs Forge (2019)

Alianza Lima vs Real Garcilaso (2017)

Relegation battles are of lower quality but often between more teams and they usually go down to the last day because your club history is on the line. Particularly the relegation battles in Peru are lots of fun and always involve a team with some importance.

Some of my favourite relegation battles of all time

Sport Boys vs USMP vs Deportivo Municipal vs Union Comercio (2019)

Cruzeiro vs Ceara (2019)

Monarcas Morelia vs Jaguares vs Veracruz (2016)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 2 battles I remember very vividly, and both happened in the EPL. 

The title almost being won my Manchester United on the last day, before Sergio Aguero scored so late to snatch it. The Man U teams were still on the pitch watching in disbelief as City won their first title in decades. 

For relegation, it has to be West Ham with Tevez in what they called, "The Great Escape'. 

11 minutes ago, Eco said:

There are 2 battles I remember very vividly, and both happened in the EPL. 

The title almost being won my Manchester United on the last day, before Sergio Aguero scored so late to snatch it. The Man U teams were still on the pitch watching in disbelief as City won their first title in decades. 

For relegation, it has to be West Ham with Tevez in what they called, "The Great Escape'. 

The best battle in Premier League for me was when Sunderland won against Chelsea, United and someone else to escape the drop in what looked like a dead campaign. This was in 2013/14.

Leicester was in a similar situation about a year later but didn't win against the strongest sides (for the most part). Sunderland had an extremely difficult run of games and managed to escape. 

• Administrator

Out great escape was one of the most surreal and crazy periods of our recent era but also the season. 

Bottom in April and survive comfortable with games to spare. Couldn't make it up. 

• The title was changed to Title Battles vs Relegation

I don’t think anyone actually favours a relegation battle, especially when they’re entrenched in one. It’s a spectacle for neutral’s who aren’t emotionally involved in the battle for survival, much like the Play-Off’s. 

Have we had many Premier League titles that have gone to the last day? I think last year was either the penultimate game or the final game, the Aguero one and the Blackburn title win are about all I can remember in that regard. 

The better Brentford v Doncaster game in about 2013 remains probably the best ending to any game ever, IMO. 

• Subscriber
19 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

The best battle in Premier League for me was when Sunderland won against Chelsea, United and someone else to escape the drop in what looked like a dead campaign. This was in 2013/14.

Leicester was in a similar situation about a year later but didn't win against the strongest sides (for the most part). Sunderland had an extremely difficult run of games and managed to escape. 

Loved that relegation battle as horrible as it was at the time. I was working for Sunderland at the time and you could sense that there was real belief that they would do the unthinkable and survive.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Year of Aguero is by far and away out on it's own. Best title race ever and you will never beat that ending. 

"It was at that moment....Phil knew...they'd fucked up"

673229082_RafaelDaSilvaPhilJonesSunderlandvManchester4AKIut5EVSul.jpg.307c4cc6a9e15c7993a17041ff9deaa2.jpg

Yep this never gets old xD 

IuDz68.gif

• Subscriber

I still remember United fans waving flags celebrating number 20 when they went 3-1 and later 4-2 up against us at Old Trafford. Jelavic and Pienaar dragged it back to 4-4, then they lost to Wigan, opened the door for Man City, who won the derby 1-0 with that Kompany header, beat Newcastle with that late Yaya Toure brace when it looked like they may have slipped up. I eventually cheered at the Aguero moment on the final day because those last few weeks were such a rollercoaster.

Archived