talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Past Teams You Admired

football forum

But don't support.

To get things clear, I am a York 9 fan in club football and Peru in international. I may have said in the past I support this or that team, and I have a team everywhere but the only one that I truly support is York 9. I go to their games and watch them whenever I can.

Anyways here goes.

Boca Juniors - 2000-2002

I was around 2-4 in this era and to be honest, don't remember a whole lot. However, what I do remember is I would watch these games with my dad who was a huge fan of Argentine football at the time, particularly Boca Juniors. Even around the time I started to be less casual, Boca Juniors would be the team I always watched and I owe that to the Riquelme era. Who could forget when Boca beat Real Madrid with ease in that Club World Cup. Incredible side, the last true great South American club side.

Liverpool - 2013-14

This team very clearly wasn't as good as the one today, but in my opinion on form they were more fun to watch. The partnership of Suarez and Sturridge was still one of the best I've ever seen. They just banged in goals for fun. Also had a developing Coutinho who still showed he had enough about him to play at the top level, Sterling who would be starting out and Skrtel who wasn't a great defender but had decent leadership and was good off set pieces. A wonderful side. I remember being made fun of at school for saying they were better than Arsenal at one point. I got the last laugh.

Binacional - 2019

Perhaps the most recent one. Binacional did the unthinkable and won the Peruvian league despite being in the third tier only 2 years before. They were tons of fun to watch though even if the altitude did help them. Andy Polar's flair, Aldair Rodriguez' pace and and dribbling with the ball, Donald Millan's all rounded game and Herve Kambou being solid at the back. Seems that's the last good Binacional side we'll ever see, as they are back to normal this year it seems.

Cienciano - 2003

Again, during my casual days. I have a soft spot for Cienciano thanks to winning the Copa Sudamericana though. The only Peruvian side to win a club continental competition. A hilariously limited side yet they only lost one game in that campaign. They faced the likes of Catolica, Santos, River Plate and Atletico Nacional, so an thoroughly impressive campaign. German Carty the talisman was pivotal.

Colombia - 2014 

During the times Peru wasn't in the World Cup, my teams would always be the South Americans. It still is like that to be honest but to a lesser extent. Colombia in 2014 was like Liverpool. Nobody believed me when they told me they were good. Not even my parents, who lived through Colombia's world cup failure in 1994. Then they reached quarter finals. Not just the World Cup campaign was a good watch, but I also loved their qualification (except when they beat us of course). Falcao and James linked up extraodinarly. Yepes was a rock at the back and unpassable. Still the best Colombian centre half I've seen. Armero and Zuñiga on the full backs. Overall this Colombia is missed compared to the ones we have today.

Atletico Nacional - 2016

One of the best South American sides during my lifetime. They were simply too far ahead of their competition and pissed the Libertadores for the most part with some very dramatic moments like the last minute winner vs Rosario in quarters. Marlos Moreno, Sebastian Perez, Victor Ibarbo, Davinson Sanchez and Miguel Borja were all on their A game for the entire campaign and were a joy to watch. Still not up to scruff compared to Boca of the early 2000's but one of the best sides after that team. Sadly, most of the players here haven't really caught on and on paper it didn't look too good a side. However, they were simply incredible.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

Liverpool managed by Bob Paisley

Forrest managed by Clough

Spurs managed by Keith Burkinshaw

Also had a soft spot for Barca under Pep.

What about Peru 1978? ;)

"Poor poor Peru, if only you knew what the boys in blue are going to do to you".

• Subscriber

Paisley, when he managed Liverpool, was the best next to SAF for me, both were great at man-management and I can remember Liverpool playing Spurs in a League Cup final, I can't remember what year it was but the full-time score was 1-1 which meant extra time being played and they said Paisley watched the majority of Spurs players slumping to the ground for a breather and waiting for the extra time pep talk.

Paisley said to his players not to sit down and stay standing "Look at them, they are knackered, keep standing and they will think we can go forever." or words to that effect, it worked and Liverpool won the match 3-1 after extra time. 

• Subscriber

In no particular order and I am probably missing some more in here.

• Ajax - Mid 90s (probably the best team I have ever watched play possession-based football. They spanked Real Madrid if I remember right and it was an all dutch team except for one or two players)
  • Inter with Zamorano, Ronaldo, Zanetti, etc (I think they had one of the best Italian teams before the close of the century to lift the European cup and they were a joy to watch)
  • Barcelona under Frank Rjikaard
  • Early 90s Juventus
  • Netherlands (France 98) - They should have gone to the finals with the team they had and I think if they had done so they'd have lifted the cup over France but it wasn't meant to be and Brazil got jinxed in that final. They then lost to Croatia and came in fourth.
  • Barcelona under Pep
  • AC Milan under Ancelotti - Kaka, Prime Shevchenko, Maldini, etc. How we beat them in Istanbul still baffles me to this day but the comeback is rightfully up there with some of the best European comebacks.
  • AC Milan under Arrigo Sacchi (Van Basten is still one of my favorite strikers. This team also had a player I regarded very highly when I was growing up - Ruud Gullit)
  • Deportivo La Coruna - I can't remember the year but I remember Diego Tristan leading the line and Djalminha in mid. I was in college at the time so it would be around the early 2000s.
  • Bayern Munich under Jupp Heynckes - The best dismantling of a Spanish team you will ever see over two legs. There was literally no doubt in anyone's mind who was going to win the finals after that eventhough Dortmund kept it close. 
  • Bayern Munich under Hitzfeld

• Administrator
3 hours ago, nudge said:

Juventus in the 90s. Loved watching them more than any team ever (with exception of Werder).

Arsenal in the early 2000s. 

Ajax in the mid 90s.

AC Milan in the 90s too. I think I admired them more looking back on it really as opposed to in the moment. What I did admire and appreciate in the moment for sure was Italian football in the late 90s/early 00s. Some legendary players and teams across the board. 

12 hours ago, Mel81x said:

In no particular order and I am probably missing some more in here.

• Ajax - Mid 90s (probably the best team I have ever watched play possession-based football. They spanked Real Madrid if I remember right and it was an all dutch team except for one or two players)
  • Inter with Zamorano, Ronaldo, Zanetti, etc (I think they had one of the best Italian teams before the close of the century to lift the European cup and they were a joy to watch)
  • Barcelona under Frank Rjikaard
  • Early 90s Juventus
  • Netherlands (France 98) - They should have gone to the finals with the team they had and I think if they had done so they'd have lifted the cup over France but it wasn't meant to be and Brazil got jinxed in that final. They then lost to Croatia and came in fourth.
  • Barcelona under Pep
  • AC Milan under Ancelotti - Kaka, Prime Shevchenko, Maldini, etc. How we beat them in Istanbul still baffles me to this day but the comeback is rightfully up there with some of the best European comebacks.
  • AC Milan under Arrigo Sacchi (Van Basten is still one of my favorite strikers. This team also had a player I regarded very highly when I was growing up - Ruud Gullit)
  • Deportivo La Coruna - I can't remember the year but I remember Diego Tristan leading the line and Djalminha in mid. I was in college at the time so it would be around the early 2000s.
  • Bayern Munich under Jupp Heynckes - The best dismantling of a Spanish team you will ever see over two legs. There was literally no doubt in anyone's mind who was going to win the finals after that eventhough Dortmund kept it close. 
  • Bayern Munich under Hitzfeld

To be honest we should have advanced instead of them, Van Der Saar commited a pen on Ortega which the fucking ref didn't award and then VDS went to shit talk Ortega which ended up headbutting him and getting sent off, tragic turn of events. And i also think we would have won it.

• Subscriber
38 minutes ago, Berserker said:

To be honest we should have advanced instead of them, Van Der Saar commited a pen on Ortega which the fucking ref didn't award and then VDS went to shit talk Ortega which ended up headbutting him and getting sent off, tragic turn of events. And i also think we would have won it.

To be fair to Ortega, VDS was way taller and all Ariel was doing was standing up but I do remember that.

Archived