Join in on the discussion, prediction leagues and competitions today! Sign up takes no longer than 5 minutes.

Sign in to follow this  
football forum

[VOTE] Team of the 21st Century - CM - Quarter Finals

Best midfielder - vote, vote, vote  

21 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Paul Scholes or Zinedine Zidane?

• Paul Scholes
    • Zinedine Zidane
  2. 2. Andrea Pirlo or Xavi?

3. 3. Michael Ballack or Andres Iniesta?

• Michael Ballack
    • Andres Iniesta
  4. 4. Deco or Steven Gerrard?

I'm going to be a probable unpopular bastard but I've gone for Pirlo over Xavi. Deco edges Gerrard out. Zidane and Iniesta easy picks.

Zidane, Pirlo, Iniesta, Gerrard

Zidane 

Xavi (I love Pirlo but this was tough!) 

Iniesta

Gerrard 

I am probably the only person in the galaxy to not see why is Iniesta above every midfielder alive? First off no i don't hate him, in all honesty he Xavi and Puyol where the rare Barcelona players that i actually had a lot of time for. However why is he above everyone else? Okay his career is incredible, also he was a key player in many titles they won. However from this list plenty where as crucial as him for their teams, and had better "stats". 

And for the love of fucking God i am not starting a debate Iniesta vs the rest of the midfielders.

I almost voted for Fabregas in the last 16 but Deco is a clear winner here to me. He's just more talented all around especially when it comes atributtes like ball control, short pass etc. the type you'd expect to play for Barcelona, but maybe people appreciate a midfielder who has a quality long shot in him and that's ok. All about personal taste in the end.

• Upvote 1

I thought the tika taka hump fest would see Xavi dick on Pirlo. I'm glad to be mistaken.

Is there gonna be another CM category or is it gonna go straight to CAM?

Just asking. It would be insulting to see Riquelme left out.

1 minute ago, Inti Brian said:

CAM, RW, LW, ST left to go. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

He's there.

Was a little worried Riquelme wouldn't be in it.

Extremely underappreciated. He basically created a new role for attacking midfielders. Would easily be at any of the top sides today (except Mourinho sides)

I thought Riquelme was class. But he's also a cunt for being in that Villarreal time that beat us with the help of Colina that one time we got into the Champions League qualifiers.

To be honest, he's better than most of his competition there. Only ones I've perhaps have ahead are David Silva, Rivaldo, Sneijder and Totti. 

No doubt I'l be disappointed, when PL or Arsenal fans inevitably vote for Cazorla over him but at least he's been included at all given how unappreciated he is.

12 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I'm going to be a probable unpopular bastard but I've gone for Pirlo over Xavi. Deco edges Gerrard out. Zidane and Iniesta easy picks.

It wasn't a hard choice for me.

Pirlo-wine.jpg.2024c6a792177990f140ae481cf6b039.jpg

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

To be honest, he's better than most of his competition there. Only ones I've perhaps have ahead are David Silva, Rivaldo, Sneijder and Totti. 

No doubt I'l be disappointed, when PL or Arsenal fans inevitably vote for Cazorla over him but at least he's been included at all given how unappreciated he is.

I'd maybe put Rivaldo or Totti ahead of him, not Silva or Sneijder.

But Seedorf also exists I think he's got to be in contention for at least the quarter finals, because he was immense. And he was immense for a very very long time.

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'd maybe put Rivaldo or Totti ahead of him, not Silva or Sneijder.

But Seedorf also exists I think he's got to be in contention for at least the quarter finals, because he was immense. And he was immense for a very very long time.

Sneijder and Silva is debatable, yeah. Sneijder did a lot in his career and was also pretty damn good. Silva was excellent in his hayday for City, so it's a coin toss.

Although I'm already anticipating Riquelme to lose to some shite European even though he was one of the best Argentinian players this century who defined the Enganche role and made it his own, a role that is quite important in the game today.

4 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Sneijder and Silva is debatable, yeah. Sneijder did a lot in his career and was also pretty damn good. Silva was excellent in his hayday for City, so it's a coin toss.

Although I'm already anticipating Riquelme to lose to some shite European even though he was one of the best Argentinian players this century who defined the Enganche role and made it his own, a role that is quite important in the game today.

Tbf none of those players that he'd be competing with could be accurately described as "shite"

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf none of those players that he'd be competing with could be accurately described as "shite"

Santi Cazorla, Thomas Muller, Mezut Ozil and Nuno Maniche are shite when you compare to Riquelme but you just know they are capable of winning simply because people know them better.

7 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Santi Cazorla, Thomas Muller, Mezut Ozil and Nuno Maniche are shite when you compare to Riquelme but you just know they are capable of winning simply because people know them better.

Santi Cazorla was quality and if it weren't for his injury he'd be up there with the likes of Silva and Fabregas. 

Just now, Cicero said:

Santi Cazorla was quality and if it weren't for his injury he'd be up there with the likes of Silva and Fabregas. 

Longevity is important. Ronaldinho could have been the best of all time if he was more serious and consistent but he had about 5 seasons in glory over 2 clubs and that's it.

3 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Longevity is important. 

But that's not what you said? You implied that Santi Cazolra is a 'Shit European' when compared to Riqulme, which just isn't true in the slightest. 

On a footballing aspect, Santi Cazorla was on par with Iniesta. The latter was just far more influential. 

8 minutes ago, Cicero said:

But that's not what you said? You implied that Santi Cazolra is a 'Shit European' when compared to Riqulme, which just isn't true in the slightest. 

On a footballing aspect, Santi Cazorla was on par with Iniesta. The latter was just far more influential. 

I've seen Cazorla back in 2012-2015. Not sure what you'd consider his prime. He isn't shit at all. The key word was "comparing".

Cazorla was a technical marvel who wasn't able to impact his team enough and was a player we had seen before. 

Juan Roman Riquelme essentially revolutionized (or invented) the Enganche role which has become extremely common at least among South Americans. He led Boca and Villareal to unimaginable heights. 

Hypothetically saying he "could have been Silva or Fabregas" is really just speculation.

Just now, Inti Brian said:

I've seen Cazorla back in 2012-2015. Not sure what you'd consider his prime. He isn't shit at all. The key word was "comparing"."

Cazorla was a technical marvel who wasn't able to impact his team enough and was a player we had seen before. 

So you saw Cazorla during that period and have the audacity to claim he didn't impact his team enough.....Right.... he didn't just make an immediate impact at Arsenal and ended their 10-year trophy drought, being a vital figure during those years. 

9 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

Hypothetically saying he "could have been Silva or Fabregas" is really just speculation.

Had Cazorla accepted that move to Real Madrid in 2008 he would be praised higher. That is an undeniable fact. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

So you saw Cazorla during that period and have the audacity to claim he didn't impact his team enough.....Right.... he didn't just make an immediate impact at Arsenal and ended their 10-year trophy drought, being a vital figure during those years. 

Had Cazorla accepted that move to Real Madrid in 2008 he would be praised higher. That is an undeniable fact. 

I respect the FA Cup for what it is, but you can't compare that to an Intercontinental Cup for Boca, several Libertadores wins or a semi-final spot for Villareal.

For me that isn't enough impact besides a few 4th place finishes for Arsenal. He was good but the club continued to stagnate. As for the last bit, could be an undeniable fact. Same way I could say if Farfan moved to Real Madrid or Bayern he would be one of Peru's best ever. All hypothetical. Didn't happen, so not really relevant to the history of everything.

2 minutes ago, Inti Brian said:

I respect the FA Cup for what it is, but you can't compare that to an Intercontinental Cup for Boca, several Libertadores wins or a semi-final spot for Villareal.

For me that isn't enough impact besides a few 4th place finishes for Arsenal. He was good but the club continued to stagnate. As for the last bit, could be an undeniable fact. Same way I could say if Farfan moved to Real Madrid or Bayern he would be one of Peru's best ever. All hypothetical. Didn't happen, so not really relevant to the history of everything.

You have a tendency to divert virtually every argument someone calls you out on. 

Riqulme will lose to a shit European. 

Cazorla is good, but he didn't revolutionise the game. 

Cazorla didn't do enough to impact Arsenal. 

FA Cup is good but it's nothing compared to the Intercontinental Cup

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

You have a tendency to divert virtually every argument someone calls you out on. 

Riqulme will lose to a shit European. 

Cazorla is good, but he didn't revolutionise the game. 

Cazorla didn't do enough to impact Arsenal. 

FA Cup is good but it's nothing compared to the Intercontinental Cup

All I did mate was make my arguments comparing to what you said. Its really nothing bad at all. It’s called a counter argument!

Literally all those arguments are true in my eyes. Cazorla didn’t invent a position nor did he revolutionize it. He was great for Arsenal but besides winning 2 FA cups, the club continued to stagnate. Intercontinental Cup was way more important than the current Club World Cup, mostly cos South American club football used to actually be good. Whether it was ever important to Europeans is up for debate, but back then for South America it was the holy grail just as it is now.

Agree to disagree. As good as Cazorla was, he wasn’t anywhere near as impactful as Riquelme nor on his clubs nor on the game in my eyes. He was also a way better player. I like both players but it’s a no contest to me.

8 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Was a little worried Riquelme wouldn't be in it.

Extremely underappreciated. He basically created a new role for attacking midfielders. Would easily be at any of the top sides today (except Mourinho sides)

No he isn't, people suck his dick so often it's gotten boring.

9 hours ago, Inti Brian said:

Cazorla is probably more a La Liga man than a Premier League man. His best days were by far and wide at Villarreal and Malaga. If you hadn't seen Cazorla pre his Arsenal days then I'm not sure how you can say he's shit. He's also still playing well now at Villarreal and been key for them this season. Not to mention bounced back from 2 serious injuries in his career and evolved from a tricky winger to an attacking mid to a centre mid, which shows how talented he is. His evolution as a player has been incredible and he's even more underappreciated than Riquelme.

Cazorla was massively underrrated on this forum before Arsenal and people were even asking who he was on here when he signed for them despite being class for years beforehand and making a shitload of appearances for Spain.